Help: LE Wilson die STUUUUUCK!

earthquake

SGT of Marines
Belligerents
Jul 30, 2009
Delaware, OH
Am in the middle of reloading some 6BR. Shot 200 pc's brand new Lapua brass for barrel break-in and brass prep for load development. Brand new die with 0.266" bushing. Ran them all through once before shooting any of them just to get the necks right, so in total, only 200 pieces through this die.

Today I sized the first batch of 50 and took them to the expander mandrel and noticed zero effort getting them into the necks....there's always been a bit of resistance with the Dasher necks.

Thought this odd, started measuring....I'm getting 0.242" after sizing and mandrel "work". The mandrel is 0.242"....so I guess that's why! So I only have 0.001" neck tension?

Brass is 0.013" thick. After sizing, neck is 0.268".
0.268-(0.013*2) = 0.242" ✓

Well that seems low, so to double check the bushing, I tried taking the die apart. It's STUCK so bad it's damn near breaking my bench vise and the wrenches are tearing the shit out of the die. Nothing budges even a little bit! I've tried holding and turning it every which way to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

I guess I could leave it as is, but I'll never be able to change bushings or clean it out. Help?!

smoooth1

Private
Belligerents
Mar 4, 2017
Wondering if OP was over thinking and turning the pieces against each other? I have the same die and absolutely love it 😍 lol.

I watched maybe 2 minutes of that video and it does show how simply the die comes apart. That D-bag says “piece of gear” 5 times or more in those 2 minutes.......🙄

earthquake

SGT of Marines
Belligerents
Jul 30, 2009
Delaware, OH
I made sure I wasn't turning them against each other. I've held the nut in a vise and tried turning the top inner piece. No go.
I've tried holding the top inner piece in a vise and turning the nut. No go. I've tried holding the die body with smart-grip wrenches and turning the nut. No go.

It's hard to hold the die body and turn the nut with any force without damaging the die body....but I tried anyway. I really can't fathom how it got King Kong'd on there. No way I would have tightened it like that.

I'm used to using Redding dies and have never had an issue like this.

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
Maybe a bit of anti-seize on the threads now that you have it apart.
Use sparingly as that shit gets to moving and you don't wash it off, your wear it until gone.
Permatex is what I use and put it on with a toothpick, not the brush in the bottle.