Hello from Iowa (for now)

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
After years of coming and going from this site, finally decided to join. Just looking to become a better shooter all around and take in information. Shoot some local precision rifle mathces and getting into shooting with PRS and NRL. Soon to be moving out of Iowa but plan to continue my shooting adventures. Thanks to all who provide great information to others on here and hopefully one day I can do the same to others.

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
Not sure that I'm way ahead of anyone. I try to get on here when time permits and try to learn what I can. Im actually hoping to start doing some precision rifle courses this year to get a bit more of a kick start.

Reactions: Zorrosdens

Zorrosdens

LM308MWS-MARS
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2019
The South.
Very fresh shooter here got a few Dan Wesson 45’s and not shot LMT MWS .308 waiting on ZCO scope with new reticle to come when available. Then I start learning all of it I can. Late better than never 😉.

Reactions: Wolfhunter

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
Welcome ! From Eastern Washington !
Thanks for the Welcome, hopefully one day I can make it to one of the awesome looking competitions in your area.

Very fresh shooter here got a few Dan Wesson 45’s and not shot LMT MWS .308 waiting on ZCO scope with new reticle to come when available. Then I start learning all of it I can. Late better than never 😉.
Sounds like you will have a nice setup when the glass gets in, then gotta get out and enjoy it.

Reactions: Zorrosdens

MCSO1357

Teaching the rookies to walk down the mountain
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2008
Iowa
Hello from Cedar Rapids. About the only offering in Eastern Iowa are the matches hosted at SureShot range north of Vinton, near Mt. Auburn.

hogfarmcaptain

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
That’s the only place I’ve seen. Not sure I’m ready for matches yet but I might see you there in the future

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
Welcome! Good to have another Iowa boy on here. What matches have you shot in state?
High lakes shooting range location down by Creston, I have shot a few matches there, and shot 2 matches at sureshot. One was a single day the other was the next day as a team match. Both locations offer unique shooting styles. For my location in central IA I prefer Creston because its closer but wouldn't hesitate to go to either. Both run by awesome people.

The Border Wars matches are 1-day events that are good opportunities to wade in and get your feet wet.
Completely agree. Especially since the 2 day NRL and PRS stuff is really expensive. Both have the same atmosphere though, with guys willing to let you use something put or borrow for stages, heck even give you wind calls/readings. They are awesome to start with.

Reactions: MCSO1357

Rusted Nut

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
High lakes shooting range location down by Creston, I have shot a few matches there, and shot 2 matches at sureshot. One was a single day the other was the next day as a team match. Both locations offer unique shooting styles. For my location in central IA I prefer Creston because its closer but wouldn't hesitate to go to either. Both run by awesome people.

Completely agree. Especially since the 2 day NRL and PRS stuff is really expensive. Both have the same atmosphere though, with guys willing to let you use something put or borrow for stages, heck even give you wind calls/readings. They are awesome to start with.
I have shot in the Afton matches the last two years, we have probably bumped into each other there. I'm planning on shooting both the Mt. Auburn and Afton border wars matches this year.

hogfarmcaptain

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
I have shot in the Afton matches the last two years, we have probably bumped into each other there. I'm planning on shooting both the Mt. Auburn and Afton border wars matches this year.
I’m not able to find much info on these matches. What do they consist of and how much do they cost?

Reactions: Rusted Nut

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
Yes, probably. I was the guy during the team match that didnt have a partner so shot it all solo. Haha, RO's were really helpful during that one. Depending when I take this new job, I'm not sure if I'll get to shoot any matches at all this year but we will see.

I havent done any 2 day matches but have RO'd a few of them. Which is also a good way to help out and learn without spending much money. To me nothing tells me as much as going out and messing it up, however when I RO'd wathcing many good competitors at the stages I was at helped me learn different positioning techniques, supports with or without bags, what gear was used or never used, and how to prep for a stage. One of my worries at the first match I ever shot was how to prep for each stage with data and what equipment to use. Watching some sponsored guys do it all day really helps out and gives you some steps to follow.

I’m not able to find much info on these matches. What do they consist of and how much do they cost?
Go to the NRL website, and under drop down menu should be a shop tab, and then a border wars match schedule maybe NRLBW as it is sometimes written. I think the High Lakes may even have a spring precision rifle match but not entirely sure. The website itsnt updated for 2020 yet and I cannot comment on any FB page because I dont have it. If your in Eastern Iowa, the McMiller Sports Center in Wisconsin is pretty nice, 300yds completely flat and public. Otherwise not much else other than High Lakes and Sureshot in Iowa per say unless you know someone with land.

hogfarmcaptain

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
I found the schedule for matches. I’m just not sure what goes on at said matches though. I’d like to prepare a little before I just jump in and make a fool of myself but I’m not sure what I’m preparing for. Do they require any experience to RO matches? That sounds like a really good way to learn the ropes without spending a ton of money.

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
Welcome from CR!
Do a ton of work over there, would actually be there 2-3x this week if I weren't on vacation right now. Thanks for the welcome!

I found the schedule for matches. I’m just not sure what goes on at said matches though. I’d like to prepare a little before I just jump in and make a fool of myself but I’m not sure what I’m preparing for. Do they require any experience to RO matches? That sounds like a really good way to learn the ropes without spending a ton of money.
Shoot me a PM and maybe we can talk or even meet up when I'm back in town. But in all honestly the way I see it is, they do generally have a RO brief/meeting and they will tell you what the rules are. On top of that they will generally put inexperienced RO's with experienced RO's. One difficult thing is you may need to know the match director in order to sign up to be an RO or find an email to talk to them. You can show up just like a competitor and ask to help out but chances are RO spots will be taken care of. You can also just show up to a match and watch, that's always free. Ask questions, majority of guys will let you look at their stuff and give input. If you have a spotting scope and tripod just bring that and follow a few squads around, you'd learn a lot and see how things operate.

make a fool of myself but I’m not sure what I’m preparing for.
This is how I did it, and I'm sure many others have as well. Just be safe, follow instructions, and everyone will be helping you out. Even a bad competition was a highlight of my year last year.

hogfarmcaptain

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for the info. I think I’ll probably just go and watch this year and maybe get into it a little more after that.

Rusted Nut

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Come to the High lakes match on 5/23. The best way to learn is to just jump in, you won't look like a fool at all. Everybody has to start somewhere, nobody is born knowing this stuff. I have personally never seen anyone get put down or made fun of for doing poorly, infact I have seen just the opposite. If a guy is having a hard time (especially a new shooter) everybody in the squad normally steps in to give advice and show a technique or two.