Hand Loading for Precision Rifle (Pic Heavy)

Aug 22, 2009
Ft.Worth, TX
If it is the Forster Co-ax it does not use shell holders. The only way for you to adjust the amount your die will bump the shoulder would be to screw it in or further down for more shoulder bump and to loosen it or unscrew it for less shoulder bump. Obviously anyone else using any press can do the same thing even if they are not using competition shell holders.

Last edited:

Widowmaker300

For Sale Access
Mar 12, 2018
Jackson center Ohio
and what happens if I do this and it never goes from 1.6220, using insert D for 308 to gather the intel. I’ve used the shellhplders accordingly off a video on YouTube but I wanna help my buddy tailor rounds for his rifle and can’t use the same method. Using rcbs competition die and I screwed it down further.

Aug 22, 2009
Ft.Worth, TX
The only way to bump a shoulder is to make it contact that surface in the die itself. Either by raising the bottom of the case higher by going from the 0.010 shell holder to the 0.002. Or if that doesn't work screw the die in further to lower the die in the press. If you have done both and the ram is going to cam over too hard then you have a die that is probably out if spec. You can either take some material off the bottom of the die, typically done at a machine shop in a lathe or possibly a mill. Or you have to send the die back to the manufacturer or buy another one. I stick to Redding Type S FL Bushing dies and I have had very good luck in several calibers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom