Hand Loading for Long Range 4: Powderin' it

Gaps

Private
May 6, 2012
Gilbert, Az
Took my rifle to Phoenix Custom Rifles and they checked out the bolt and the firing pin assembly. Everything checked out fine and they cleaned and re-lubed the bold. However, I just went out a few days ago to shoot long range and the first round that I put in there did not fire, go figure. A crater on the primer but no ignition. I ejected the round, inspected it, dry fired a few times, and then tried to shoot the same round, still a no go. This was a hand load with twice fired remington brass, federal 215, 89.4gr retumbo, 3.899 coal. Every other round I tried the rest of they day was perfect though....

So, what should I do? Any advice is welcome. I just want to be able to trust that it will fire every time, especially being a hunting rifle.

Anyway, besides that, this rifle is stupid accurate. Here are some pics to show proof. I still don't believe how accurate Phoenix Custom Rifles built this rifle. 300 RUM pushing 230gr Match Berger Hybrids @3,048fps!!! The steel at 1,000 is 20"x20"

3 shots at 100 yards=.322"!!!

3 shots at 1,000 yards= 1.75" at most!!!

Attachments

Mar 27, 2014
Thanks for the great articles tres i will definitely be re-reading them this summer when I start reloading. I can't even begin to tell you how much I have learned from these articles. Here is a picture of what i did last week with some factory 150gr powerpoints with my 270 win. The circle is the size of a quarter and the 3 shot group measured around .75 moa @100 yards. .75 group.jpg

Sep 4, 2011
Sweden
Anyone of you gentlemen that want to help a guy out with this ladder test... preferably before I loose it and go totaly nuts. :D
If anyone has the time and will please do PM me.

Take care :)

Toto

Private
Mar 26, 2014
Jacksboro, TX
300WM Ladder Test.jpg

Completed my first ever ladder test today for my 300 Win Mag. This test was done using 1% of max increments for a total of 15 rounds, 1% equals .7gr. I think I will take the next ladder using .5gr increments using shots 11, 12, 13, & 15. If one of ya'll with more experience can see something different please let me know.

May 8, 2011
Wichita, KS
View attachment 34952

Completed my first ever ladder test today for my 300 Win Mag. This test was done using 1% of max increments for a total of 15 rounds, 1% equals .7gr. I think I will take the next ladder using .5gr increments using shots 11, 12, 13, & 15. If one of ya'll with more experience can see something different please let me know.
I would do an additional ladder from a longer distance in 0.3gr increments for charge weights 11-13. With 14 being higher than the 11-13 group, and 15 being with 11-13 group, I would lean towards shooter error or charge weight variance (not saying your a bad shooter or reloader, but shit happens).

Last edited:

Toto

Private
Mar 26, 2014
Jacksboro, TX
uploadfromtaptalk1397087398322.jpg
Ok, need some more advice. This is my second (refined from first) ladder test. I am thinking that 1,4, & 5 look promising, but, 2,7, & 8 are very close if you take out the 20 mph wind gusts. Once again all advice is welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
hey just looking to get some opinions and info… I'm new to long range shooting and not doings too bad but I'm starting to reload for better rounds… I'm shooting a 50bmg at 1000yrds any recommendations on what kind/brand of powder to use? and i was told the rocky mountain bullets are the best… thoughts? still have yet to buy my press too… looking at the lee but I'm willing to spend what ever i need to to get a good one any other recommendations?

phlii

Sergeant
Jan 18, 2007
Portland, Oregon aka Hippyville!
hey just looking to get some opinions and info… I'm new to long range shooting and not doings too bad but I'm starting to reload for better rounds… I'm shooting a 50bmg at 1000yrds any recommendations on what kind/brand of powder to use? and i was told the rocky mountain bullets are the best… thoughts? still have yet to buy my press too… looking at the lee but I'm willing to spend what ever i need to to get a good one any other recommendations?
Have you checked the Reloading Depot? There are some recipes posted that may help get you started.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-reloading-depot/495-loads-338lm-50-cal.html

phlii

Sergeant
Jan 18, 2007
Portland, Oregon aka Hippyville!
Back to powderin'

I have done my initial and refined powder tests and have narrowed down 2 or 3 loads to shoot for grouping. Are you guys shooting these at 300+ yards or at 100 yards? I think the longer distances would be better validation, but at 100 yards you reduce the effect of wind on your results. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Back to powderin'

I have done my initial and refined powder tests and have narrowed down 2 or 3 loads to shoot for grouping. Are you guys shooting these at 300+ yards or at 100 yards? I think the longer distances would be better validation, but at 100 yards you reduce the effect of wind on your results. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
You are right on both counts. 100 yes will minimize the effect of the wind. 300 yards will show up more errors in velocity differences, etc. I tend to do my first set at 100 yds, and then go to 200-300 yds for further evaluation.

Jul 13, 2012
mesick, mi
At 100 yrds you wont see much for velocity change. Say 1/2". Well if you shoot a group with the same powder load it may shoot 1" give or take.
So its hard to determine if the spread your are seeing is velocity or group related at short distance.

I was recently thrown for a loop when I shot a ladder at 325 yrds and 7 shots formed a 2" group but when I group shot the groups got bigger.

Honestly I still can't figure that out.

200 yrds ocw

spife7980

Feb 10, 2017
TX
After you adjust seating depth and find a tight shooting group should you add or subtract some powder to get back into the middle of your node?
That depends on whether you need to add or remove powder to get back into the middle of your node.

If youre wondering why I just repeated it back to you then you should think about it a bit because no one can tell you what you need to do.

May 17, 2012
So one question I've always had was after finding a load or even two that shoot well and after trying out different seating lengths, which should further refine your group, what would you do if you're nowhere near the velocities you're after?
If this has already been asked on this thread, I must have missed it and I apologize.

Jan 16, 2018
Midwest, SD
So one question I've always had was after finding a load or even two that shoot well and after trying out different seating lengths, which should further refine your group, what would you do if you're nowhere near the velocities you're after?
If this has already been asked on this thread, I must have missed it and I apologize.
Add more powder, try a different powder, buy a longer barrel, shoot lighter bullets

Top Bottom