Ham Radio, First radio, Antennas & feed line questions/info

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Great links, thanks, I'll probably be reading a bunch on that one about setting up a digital station.

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
Great links, thanks, I'll probably be reading a bunch on that one about setting up a digital station.
Digital is easy, A radio that will except a TNC/MCP or RTTY terminal. A sound card (I highly recommend This one set the knobs to 12:00 an rock on. You can fine tune for sstv/fstv an the other modes but in general usage 12:00 hrs does it all on most all I have set up for folks.
A lap top or desk top computer an correct cables. The go Here or Here an down load fldigi an you'll be TX & TX'ing in a matter of minutes.

Once you start the digital depending whose listening you can cut many ears out, by applying other Radio skill sets at the same time. Good to have that in your tool kit to use if it's ever needed.

I have a laptop an printer that has never an will never see the net, that I use when doing digital in the truck.

Reactions: W54/XM-388

TACC

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
Great info, thanks for the links

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
If there's other Ham info/questions you guys need/want just ask. The net is full of quality info if you know where to look. Remember it's called radio theory for a reason an I have proved that to myself over an over. Built 100's of antennas over the years an many that most said would never work are some of the best I've ever had. Some of the best (so they say) don't work very well for me, so experimenting is the name of the game with antennas an feed lines.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

BCDef

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
May 9, 2019
Anyone here have first hand experience with the Icom IC-7200? I like rugged and simple.
I have one. You described it perfectly. Rugged and simple. I also have an IC 7100. For HF only, I would rather run the 7200. Too bad Icom is discontinuing it yet again.

Alpine 338

Lumberjack
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2010
NW Colorado
Well, I just found some in stock, free shipping and $100 rebate from Icom good through 9/30. However, they did charge me $33 in tax.

BCDef

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
May 9, 2019
Did not get the handles. I may, just because ;)

Good on the DX Engineering catch. Wish I could swing another at the moment. I have the 7200, plus an IC 7100, some I'm covered for HF. Be nice to have a spare.

Dougie308

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Here's a couple of pics of my Midland MXT400 and mobile antenna (N9TAX Slim Jim) set up on my Pinzgauer. The antenna is attached via heavy duty zip ties to a fiberglass telescoping fishing pole that is about 3 meters long. The antenna is affixed to the bumper of the truck using a Walmart fishing pole holder also attached with heavy duty zip ties. Having a telescope pole allows me to easily lower it to get through heavy woods, into a garage or to avoid power lines.

The radio is FRS/GMRS and has 40 watts of power on the GMRS band. It is a line of sight radio so unit to unit range varies. In my community (urban) I get two miles. At my buddy's house (flat farmland) we've gotten 20 miles or so. It does have the ability to access repeaters though. So, extreme ranges are possible.

Dougie308

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Here's a couple of pics of my Midland MXT400 and mobile antenna (N9TAX Slim Jim) set up on my Pinzgauer. The antenna is attached via heavy duty zip ties to a fiberglass telescoping fishing pole that is about 3 meters long. The antenna is affixed to the bumper of the truck using a Walmart fishing pole holder also attached with heavy duty zip ties. Having a telescope pole allows me to easily lower it to get through heavy woods, into a garage or to avoid power lines.

The radio is FRS/GMRS and has 40 watts of power on the GMRS band. It is a line of sight radio so unit to unit range varies. In my community (urban) I get two miles. At my buddy's house (flat farmland) we've gotten 20 miles or so. It does have the ability to access repeaters though. So, extreme ranges are possible.

View attachment 7109745
View attachment 7109746

View attachment 7109748

uffduh

Private
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2017
I’ve got a 17 yr old who just broke curfew again. Don’t need any of the above to hear me reaming him out. But damned if I’m not convinced I need to get on ham to to hear others doing the same. Fucking kids

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Mb.
I’ve got a 17 yr old who just broke curfew again. Don’t need any of the above to hear me reaming him out. But damned if I’m not convinced I need to get on ham to to hear others doing the same. Fucking kids
So, what I hear you saying is, "curfew" just increased to "curfew with hard-labor" and you're finally going to get that "hand-dug hot-tub" you've been wanting for years, right?

As to that, it isn't so much the 'hole' for the tub that's an issue, it's the trench needed for the underground piping that has to go all the way around to the other side of the house to hide the pumphouse that takes the time and effort.

Some might even know of what I'm speaking. HA.

• Haha
Reactions: uffduh

uffduh

Private
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2017
So, what I hear you saying is, "curfew" just increased to "curfew with hard-labor" and you're finally going to get that "hand-dug hot-tub" you've been wanting for years, right?

As to that, it isn't so much the 'hole' for the tub that's an issue, it's the trench needed for the underground piping that has to go all the way around to the other side of the house to hide the pumphouse that takes the time and effort.

Some might even know of what I'm speaking. HA.
Dad always made me dig a trench for in ground irrigation whenever he wanted me to put in a tree. We didn't even have an irrigation system!!!!!!