LibertyArms

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Jan 6, 2010
Southwest PA
School me on clip on?
Same gun , same ammo, subsonic

Pvs 30 refurb - groups at 1" @100 consistant.

Pvs 27 - groups 4" consistant @ 100

I feel the 27 has better image than the 30 bit the groups ? Is that on the collimation ?

Just wandering. Same issue on another rifle, as well as supersonic .

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: deersniper

StihlTech

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
Greenville, SC
Following. Have both, haven’t noticed it that much but have not run both on same setup often (maybe once). Normally running on separate rifles. Might be able to get out one night and trial though. Also curious to see what everyone has seen.

StihlTech

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
Greenville, SC
Ok. Went out tonight for a quick test. The 27 groups returned better, was closer to original POI on full loads and it was a toss up between the subsonics. All in all, both seemingly did fine. I just have a larger original POI shift to be aware of when using 30. Took off and removed each clip on a few times. Just shot 2 round groups so ok prob not an ideal test but removed each and re-installed 3 times.

My 27 was about 1.5 moa shift to the right when compared to glass only. But between removing/replacing it returned to its poi well imo.

My 30 was about 2.5 moa shift low compared to glass but again, between removing and replacing they were all within moa or so if the original clip on group.

Nor sure this helps any. And of course it’s with one specific rifle and only 2 bullet types...so of course that could vary some based on different rail mounts etc.

(Edit) why such little love for the Pvs-27s! Sure they’re big and heavy but man... I always think my 30 is great...until I sit behind the 27. For what those are selling for on here it’s a sweet clip on imo.

LibertyArms

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Jan 6, 2010
Southwest PA
Both my 27 and 30 are about 1 1/2 - 2 moa right as well POI shift,. The 30 group size is right at 1 moa consistent , the 27 group size 4-5 moa constant ? So i understand that adding and removing somthing infront of the day optic can cause shifts, and that those shifts may not always be super repeatable. Im sure there are other factors that go into that as well. And as far as repeatable, both of my clip ons repeat really well. I guess my question is why would one unit change the group size so much ?

StihlTech

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
Greenville, SC
Yeah I don’t know on group size and why the Pvs would be so different. Not my experience at all but I only have one 27 lol. I assume the mount on the 27 is still solid?

cake5150

Private
Belligerents
Jan 7, 2014
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Never experienced anything like that and I've owned and used both. After using SIMRADs and 27s, I have zero interest in owning 30s again. 27s just spoil the ever loving shit out of the shooter. The passive image and focus control placement are just objectively better.

The King

Showercookie Monster
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2004
Lambreth, Connecticut
They are within spec for the most part. Spec is 1.5 moa and most of these units are close enough to that.

You absolutely have to check their variance or you can’t get ELR hits due to a complete lack of ability to spot misses past 1km.

So none of them actually are collimated and hit dead on with the clip on?

cake5150

Private
Belligerents
Jan 7, 2014
Fort Wayne, Indiana
They are within spec for the most part. Spec is 1.5 moa and most of these units are close enough to that.

You absolutely have to check their variance or you can’t get ELR hits due to a complete lack of ability to spot misses past 1km.
Bingo. POI shift is usually minimal and is absolutely consistent in my experience w/ them. Just dial out the POI shift for small targets and/or long distance shooting.