Funny Hunting Stories

pbatesaz

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ and Cimarron, CO
Thought it might be fun to relate some humorous stories from hunting adventures.
I recall a handgun javenlina hunt in Arizona when a friend of my son thought he made a great shot on one that was pretty far away. He made a humane kill on a javelina that was probably a week old and weighed about 3 lbs. it made a nice desk ornament anyway.

Reactions: deersniper

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
Dove hunting over knee high grass in central VA. Me, two buddies, and my dog. Having a fairly good day, with 7 doves between us after 2 hours or so. A pair come overhead, outbound. Buddy 1 pops one and I get the other. While the dog is searching for the first one, we watch a bright red bushy tail held aloft charge through the grass to where the second bird went down. It pauses briefly, then dashes to the far corner of the field, where it stops to turn and look at us, gray and white feathers in its mouth. Little bastard came back the next time we went out too. The fox was spared, at the request of the landowner's granddaughter, and I'm sure roams free to this day, gloating to its friends about that one time it got the better of us.

Reactions: pbatesaz

Alabusa

On the Tennessee River
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2018
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
One cold December morning, I am sitting about 35 feet up a poplar tree deer hunting. About 8:30 that morning, I see another hunter coming up the hollow toward me. He comes all the way to my tree and squats. Having not ever looked up, he didnt know I was in the tree he decides to take a shit beside.

I holler down and ask what he thinks he is doing? His reply......"you know how it is, when you gotta go, you gotta go."
My .morning sit ended on that sour note.

Reactions: pbatesaz

pbatesaz

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ and Cimarron, CO
A friend and I decided that we would go coyote hunting, neither of us having any prior experience in this endeavor. We set out after work on a Friday evening and set up camp in the desert, fixed a basic meal and sat around our small campfire as the sun went down over the mountains to the west. Enjoying the desert sounds we commenced to indulge in some adult beverages and discuss life. After drinking a little while we thought we should practice with our dying rabbit calls just to be ready for the next days hunt. After about 10 minutes sure as hell a coyote came crashing through camp between us and our fire. Scared the living crap out of us as we fell out of our chairs. We were lucky it wasn’t a mountain lion. Never saw another coyote on that outing.

556ARs

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
Ohio
Not very funny at the time, but looking back on it, we both get a laugh.

A buddy and I went to Alaska to hunt moose and caribou on our own. The outfitter flew us out to a small pond, dropped us off and then would fly over us every couple of days to see if we had something in camp. I had shot a really nice caribou the first day and after not seeing anything for the next couple of days, we where moved to another area that was better for moose. Seems like the caribou wondered off and there wasn't any point waiting for them to come back.

This new spot was in a much more hilly area with ridges going every which way. We where glassing from the ridge tops looking for moose without much luck until late in the evening. There where two large bulls fighting in a clearing about a mile away. It was thick pines all the way there, but we figure that would be great for us to sneak through to get there. By the time we got to where we thought the moose where, they where long gone and it was getting dark.

We headed back to the ridge we had been glassing from, which was also just above where our camp was set up. When we got there, it was dark out. When looking down the other side, we knew right away that the pond next to our camp was not the pond we where looking at. The question was which way where we off? A funny thing about Alaska is that a compass is almost worthless. Same thing with watching the sun, it rises and sets in almost the same place!!!!! We decided to try going left. While walking, my flashlight bulb burned out, so we just had the one flashlight. This proved to be more of a challenge then we had expected, but after several hours, we got to where we could see down into the next draw and see that the pond down there wasn't it either.

by now it was after midnight, we where both wore out and clueless where camp was. We started a fire and settled in for the night. Since we had been hiking in hip boots, our socks where soaking wet. We took them off and set them around the fire to dry off. Sometime after that I woke up to my buddy screaming FIRE as our socks burned up. Nothing to do but go back to sleep and wait for sunrise.

Once we could see, we realized that we where one draw away from our camp. The hike was terrible without socks, but we lived. After a good breakfast, we went back out looking for moose, but only saw cows and small ones. We did have one very young bull walk down the trail in front of us and we had to get off the trail as he passed. I didn't try, but I was close enough to touch him. Not sure if he was so into the rut that he didn't care, or he just didn't care because he had never seen humans before. Either way, it was one of those things that only happen when out hunting that only those who have been there will understand.