Forster Micrometer Seating Die Issue

Jul 6, 2017
This has been my experience as well.

The original press crushed the spent primer tube. Since redesigned. They will not send replacement parts for the original screwed up design unless I ship them the part at my expense.

Last two seating dies had out of spec seating stems. One failed on the first pull of the handle. The seating cup mushroomed on the second. Same story: send us the part at your expense and we will think about replacing it. This means my co-ax press is unusable for weeks at a time.

Complete dicks describes their customer service accurately.

Unusual in an industry known for outstanding customer service. DILLON they are not.

I have had zero problems with dies from three other suppliers for a dozen or more calibers.

Buyer beware.
I have a seating die doing the same thing with the mushroomed stem. I sent it back to them. They said they fixed it. 20 rounds into seating and it mushroomed again. Its smack dab in the middle of competition season. Called them on Monday and left a message. They called me back and Tuesday and said they would have to talk to the technician and give me a call back. Still nothing!! I had to buy a Hornady seating die locally that I had to modify the seating stem on but it worked way better than the Forster that wouldn't seat accurately because of the stem. Ordered a Redding competition seating die with a long VLD stem. Its not here yet but hopefully it will work for me. When it gets here I will have 3 seating dies for the 6.5CM, Forster is now a paper weight, Hornady is modified but works, and hopefully Redding will be a winner.

Nov 1, 2017
This has been my experience as well.

The original press crushed the spent primer tube. Since redesigned. They will not send replacement parts for the original screwed up design unless I ship them the part at my expense.

Last two seating dies had out of spec seating stems. One failed on the first pull of the handle. The seating cup mushroomed on the second. Same story: send us the part at your expense and we will think about replacing it. This means my co-ax press is unusable for weeks at a time.

Complete dicks describes their customer service accurately.

Unusual in an industry known for outstanding customer service. DILLON they are not.

I have had zero problems with dies from three other suppliers for a dozen or more calibers.

Buyer beware.
Man yall both must have got a bad rep I got a guy sent me a free seating stem to see if it worked better before he had me send all my stuff in to them to check my issue free of charge.

Jul 6, 2017
Just pulled mine apart to inspect and it seems like I have a split in the seating cup. Took a few pictures to try and show it.

View attachment 6921764
View attachment 6921766 View attachment 6921768
Yes you do. I had one of the older hardened stems and it cracked like yours. I purchased the new “beefier” non-hardened seating stems and it mushroomed at the mouth of the stem creating wildly different seating depths and a groove in the alignment sleeve.within 30 rounds of seating with .0015 neck tension and almost no resistance in seating. Like I said above still waiting on a call back from the beginning of the week. I have no idea what to think of Forster at this point.

Jan 23, 2013
Boulder County, CO
Sent an email to Forster this morning and within an hour this informative reply and said they will send a new one out to me.

There are a number of things that could have caused this issue and should prompt perhaps a few things to be checked prior the use of a new Seating Stem. The most important of which, is being sure that a bullet will pass cleanly through the bullet channel of the spring loaded silver chamber when the top of the die is removed, if not, a new stem will quickly break again. We also would need to know if this is a micrometer seater or standard bench rest seater as they are threaded differently.

1) The die has a bullet channel that is .0005" over the bullet diameter, this is one of the true advantages of the Die, however if you encounter a batch of slightly over-sized bullets that are not passing cleanly through the tight tolerance channel then the increase pressure it can damage the stem. To check this, remove the top of the die and assure that your bullets drop through the top of the silver spring loaded chamber freely.

2) If there is excessive run-out on the resized cases this can bring the case necks out of alignment with the bullet channel and increase the pressure between the stem and bullet.

3) Assure the cases do not have excessive neck tension. Often times brand new brass can have excessive neck tension and needs to be resized using an Expander Ball prior to reloading, it can also be riddled with burrs that should be removed as well. When checking the Die for accurate seating, do so with once fired resized cases, your rifle will greatly assist in being sure that all cases are uniform.

4) Avoid compressed loads, again the added pressure can cause damage.

5) Our Seating Stems are Heat Treated, which makes them very durable during the normal reloading process. If jarred severally from dropping, or excessively rough handling during the shipping process, there is potential that the stem could crack and this would allow the stem to flare out and form to the bullet profile, creating sticking and varying seating depths.

We look forward to assisting you further with this, if you decided to send this in for review, send the components to:

FORSTER PRODUCTS
310 E. Lanark Ave.
Lanark, IL 61046

Scott

FORSTER PRODUCTS​

ruebarb

New Hide Member
Feb 7, 2018
Littleton, MA
I have a seating die doing the same thing with the mushroomed stem. I sent it back to them. They said they fixed it. 20 rounds into seating and it mushroomed again. Its smack dab in the middle of competition season. Called them on Monday and left a message. They called me back and Tuesday and said they would have to talk to the technician and give me a call back. Still nothing!! I had to buy a Hornady seating die locally that I had to modify the seating stem on but it worked way better than the Forster that wouldn't seat accurately because of the stem. Ordered a Redding competition seating die with a long VLD stem. Its not here yet but hopefully it will work for me. When it gets here I will have 3 seating dies for the 6.5CM, Forster is now a paper weight, Hornady is modified but works, and hopefully Redding will be a winner.
I have zero issues with my Redding comp seating die & the VLD stem

Sep 20, 2013
I did everything they are suggesting and am still having problems.

I suspect a bad batch of heat annealed seating stems.

It still annoys me that they expect a customer to spend $10 to send them their bad parts.

Very unusual to see such indifferent customer service in this industry.

Aug 7, 2014
Gillette, WY
I did everything they are suggesting and am still having problems.

I suspect a bad batch of heat annealed seating stems.

It still annoys me that they expect a customer to spend $10 to send them their bad parts.

Very unusual to see such indifferent customer service in this industry.
You crack a seating stem on a redding, you'll get the same shit. The finger will be pointed at you, compressed loads, no chamfer, etc... I am lost on dropping the packaged die during shipping, the dude probably should have omitted that little tidbit of wisdom, "yes, our seating stems are that fucking weak" lmao

Nov 20, 2005
Unless Redding have changed their seating dies they are more prone to the mushroomed seating stem than most.

I have had good luck with Forster BR seaters, but most of mine are more than a few years old. Excessive neck tension and/or compressed loads can contribute to the problem.

There can be problems with inconsistent neck wall thickness of the brass too.

Jul 6, 2017
Unless Redding have changed their seating dies they are more prone to the mushroomed seating stem than most.

I have had good luck with Forster BR seaters, but most of mine are more than a few years old. Excessive neck tension and/or compressed loads can contribute to the problem.

There can be problems with inconsistent neck wall thickness of the brass too.
I’m using Alpha brass. I admittedly had .003-.004 neck tension that cracked the first stem. The second stem mushroomed at .0015 neck tension. I’m at a loss.

Top Bottom