Form 4 wait time

Nov 18, 2013
I miss eforms and 120 day approvals although I did see a guy on another forum with a form 1 approval (recent) at 4 months.

Form 4 individual
Omega 300
Check cashed 7/17 lol
Silencershop kiosk

Form 1 trust -1RP
Check cashed 8/4/18

Silencerco Octane 9
Free with Omega 300 purchase who knows

E6Y5821

New Hide Member
Aug 12, 2018
Two Form 4 Individuals from New York City.
SBR
Daniel Defense MK18
Credit Card Charged on 01/24/18
Received Tax Stamp on 08/11/18
Incorrect serial number on form 4 delayed the stamp for two weeks.

Suppressor
Surefire SOCOM556
Credit Card Charged on 03/01/18
Pending approval

Mar 6, 2017
Jacksonville
Form 4 Trust - 1 person
ATF cashed check on 1/6/18
Approved 8/7/18
Dealer received stamp 8/13/18.

Not clear when they mailed them the check. So overall a little under 8 months.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017
Nov 2, 2017
I'm sitting at about 7 months right now since my check was cashed. Just found out my FFL is going to be gone for the next 3-4 months! He's trying to find someone who can 'cover' him and finish the paperwork when it comes through. Is there anything that can be done on my end to make sure I can actually get my can even if he's out of town? Is it possible for him to transfer it to another FFL?

smokin.338

50/50 to Insanity...
Nov 3, 2013
Edge of Nowhere
I'm sitting at about 7 months right now since my check was cashed. Just found out my FFL is going to be gone for the next 3-4 months! He's trying to find someone who can 'cover' him and finish the paperwork when it comes through. Is there anything that can be done on my end to make sure I can actually get my can even if he's out of town? Is it possible for him to transfer it to another FFL?
Hopefully he can get someone to finish you up, 4473 is the last step that needs to be done. As you can Not transfer to another SOT w/o starting all over again!

Jan 25, 2013
Utah
I dont know how relevant this is, but I thought I would share-
I purchased my first can on March 31st. The ATF did not cash the payment until May 8th.

I recently purchased a second can. The stamp was purchased August 20th and the check was cashed on September 1st.

Thats more than a month for the first one and a little more than a week for the second. Fingers crossed that this could mean things are being processed more quickly.

Dixie Rifleman

Always Learning
Apr 24, 2017
GA
I purchased my Omega back in mid March. I have now patiently waited 6 months though when I bought it I expected more like 7 months.

Rant on
Six months, seven months, whatever. It's absolutely ridiculous. Why the hell are we electronically strip searched up one side and down another as if we're trying to engage in a criminal activity when all we want is to make less noise. My hearing loss is very real and I double up my ear pro. But that does nothing for the concussion. Don't even want to yet consider a match where I might have to shoot from within something enclosed like a pipe. If I'm willing to go to the trouble of setting up a trust, get photographed and finger printed (for about the 10th time, literally) I sure as heck don't deserve the level of scrutiny that seems to be thrown our way. Already had numerous background checks for concealed carry permits. I guess I need yet another. Sheesh
Rant off

There, I feel a little better. Now back to waiting.

Dec 24, 2017
Bow WA
I purchased my Omega back in mid March. I have now patiently waited 6 months though when I bought it I expected more like 7 months.

Rant on
Six months, seven months, whatever. It's absolutely ridiculous. Why the hell are we electronically strip searched up one side and down another as if we're trying to engage in a criminal activity when all we want is to make less noise. My hearing loss is very real and I double up my ear pro. But that does nothing for the concussion. Don't even want to yet consider a match where I might have to shoot from within something enclosed like a pipe. If I'm willing to go to the trouble of setting up a trust, get photographed and finger printed (for about the 10th time, literally) I sure as heck don't deserve the level of scrutiny that seems to be thrown our way. Already had numerous background checks for concealed carry permits. I guess I need yet another. Sheesh
Rant off

I hear ya,
I was hoping by this time the tyranny had gone on too long. But as we all know, it continues. The wait time is umpresadented. I'm happy to submit to the background check, but waiting 9 mo- a year seems a bit out of line.

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca

Rant on
Rant off

I hear ya. Now, add to this, that some of us hold very high security clearances, granted by the same government that approves Form 4's. Go figure, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Smdh... Fraud, waste and abuse..

Aug 2, 2012
Allentown PA
I hear ya. Now, add to this, that some of us hold very high security clearances, granted by the same government that approves Form 4's. Go figure, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Smdh... Fraud, waste and abuse..
What do you do? Kidding kidding , I know your could tell me but you woukd have to kill me. But seriously you woukd think anyone serving the country would have an expedited process of like 60 days. Or none, that would work too.

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
What do you do? Kidding kidding , I know your could tell me but you woukd have to kill me. But seriously you woukd think anyone serving the country would have an expedited process of like 60 days. Or none, that would work too.
Right? I mean, even TSA/FBI fast tracked my Pre-Check based on an active clearance (like, the next business day it was active). But BATF? Nope...smdh.

Subwrx300

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
FINALLY! Released from Jail!

TBAC Ultra 9 6.5mm
Purchase : February 10, 2018
Check Cashed: February 19th 2018 (9 days)
Stamp Date: September 1, 2018 (204 days)
Stamp @ Dealer: September 13, 2018 (216 days)

7 months and 4 days total from start to finish. Dealer said they have been very very close to that time +- 2 weeks since February.

Feb 21, 2017
Ooltewah, TN
I wonder how much longer its going to take.

I have the KAC can which was from November and this last month I bought a Thunder Beast .22 and placed a KAC SBR.

Guess the trust is a poor choice now
I did the trust too. Purchased my TBAC Ultra 7 in late September of last year from Silencer Shop. According to the ATF, they are still waiting on background check to come back from the FBI. Going on nearly a year now.

Jul 10, 2011
Oregon
same here, tbac 9 sent Aug 31, 17 still at FBI background check. Trust with only me and the wife on it. What gets me is it's the 9th item in the trust. You would think after being approved 8 previous times it would/could go quicker.

Nov 10, 2013
The ATF will not get any faster or more efficient because there is no requirement in writing that they are not meeting. If there was a written requirement to approve Form 4s in 90 days, they would hire more people and meet the requirement. It could be as simple as a Presidential directive to require the speed up, for that matter a PD could just remove silencers from the NFA act legislation. That wouldn't be the constitutionally correct way to do it, but it's how Obama did over half of his business. It is also easily overturned by the next President in office.

Trusts can be just as fast as individuals if done correctly and you get a little lucky. Read more on this, but short version, do the trust with just you on it and add people after it's approved.

awonder

Glorified Babysitter
Mar 30, 2010
virginia
Silencero Hybrid. 1 responsible person on trust.
March 3rd Form 4 sent
March 7th Check cashed
Sept 15th dealer called with stamp in hand
Sept 18th I go pick it up. Just in time for hunting season... ;)

Aug 2, 2012
Allentown PA
FINALLY! Released from Jail!

TBAC Ultra 9 6.5mm
Purchase : February 10, 2018
Check Cashed: February 19th 2018 (9 days)
Stamp Date: September 1, 2018 (204 days)
Stamp @ Dealer: September 13, 2018 (216 days)

7 months and 4 days total from start to finish. Dealer said they have been very very close to that time +- 2 weeks since February.
Mine is the same exact day, anxiously waiting the call

Jan 25, 2013
Utah
I purchased my suppressor on 3/31/18 but my check wasnt cashed for more than a month. The wait times on the Silencer Shop website shows that this is an accurate average. I just wish it could have been cashed more quickly! I may have received my suppressor a month earlier than when I am likely to get it. Oh well, it is what it is!

Jan 30, 2018
OKC
1. NFA Item: Supressor
2. Form Type: Form 4
3. Transferee Type: Trust
4. Forms Sent: 6 Feb 2018 (Silencer Shop kiosk)
5. Delivered:
6. Check Cleared: 26 Feb 2018
7. Pending Date: 26 Feb 2018
8. Approved Date: 11 Sept 2018
9. Forms Received: 17 Sept 2018

6 1/2 months... Not bad I guess. This is my first can, pretty excited to play around with it!

E6Y5821

New Hide Member
Aug 12, 2018
Two Form 4 Individuals from New York City.
SBR
Daniel Defense MK18
Credit Card Charged on 01/24/18
Received Tax Stamp on 08/11/18
Incorrect serial number on form 4 delayed the stamp for two weeks.

Suppressor
Surefire SOCOM556
Credit Card Charged on 03/01/18
Pending approval
SOCOM556 RC2 Approved on 09/14/18
Pending stamp arrival at Dealer.
Process began on 03/05/18, so total of 6 months + 10 days.

Aug 2, 2012
Allentown PA
My checks were cashed in Feb 2018, still in FBI review. I made the mistake of googling NFA FBI review process. I shouldnt have done that. In review for at least a month now on one of the cans. Other is in FBI review for only a week. I need to forget about these things. Watching March 2018 stamps getting approved making me crazy.

goatboy

New Hide Member
Sep 23, 2018
This is great news. I've had a pair of Form 1 / SBR stamps come back at the 4 month +/- time frame for single trustee trust. Form 4's submitted at same time haven't returned but I'm hoping it won't be too much more time.

What does anyone know about the process/backlog/staffing for Form 4 vs Form 1 applications that accounts for the differences in timing?

Top Bottom