Form 4 wait time

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
Belligerents
Mar 8, 2017
Kaysville Utah
So the saga continues..... Called the NFA office this AM and they stated it is still pending. Couple of hours latter I got a follow up email from my Senator's office which included a reply they got from the NFA office stating "constituent’s ATF Form 4 was disapproved and returned because it failed to have an original signature or a qualifying eSignature. ATF is in the process of returning the associated tax to all persons whose ATF Forms 4 were disapproved".

This was done through silencershop so I gave them a call and waiting to hear back from them as well as my local FFL to see if they received the disapproval letter. THIS IS INSANE 441 DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!
Known issue. Silencershop is already working on it. Checkout this thread for more info. Contact the Silencershop guy mentioned in the thread.

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
NoCo
So what you guys are saying is don’t file a trust if I want my can faster? Dammit, I wish I would’ve known this before I bought my little .22 Takedown. Guess I just have to buy another suppressor now

Reactions: Gtscotty

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
Belligerents
Mar 8, 2017
Kaysville Utah
So what you guys are saying is don’t file a trust if I want my can faster? Dammit, I wish I would’ve known this before I bought my little .22 Takedown. Guess I just have to buy another suppressor now
No. File a trust to save having to pay the $200 later to get it into a trust. Also having to remember which one is in a trust and which is not does not sound fun.

nikonNUT

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Arkansas
Not approved by a long shot but I filed Trust and at least the check was cashed in 17 days.. Now for something to distract me.

Last edited:

bunsen27

ACME Labs
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
This wait time for a trust does not spark joy.
No it does not indeed.
My Trust was not a Silencer Shop one either for anybody wondering.
~11 months from check cashed to stamp is better than 12-16+months, but still too long.
I have one more in the queue since May. Hopefully, it will arrive April or March time frame.

whoreable

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2010
Tax fraud cashed 5/16/18
still waiting,
i think they closed Guantanamo bay faster than my approval

Bigrederic

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Jun 22, 2018
SE Alaska
Well seeing this notification made me call again today, and guess what it was approved yesterday!!! It was pending yesterday and unassigned when I called.

Drew890

RLTW
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2010
Las Vegas
1 Suppressor, form 4, Individual, Silencershop kiosk
Check Cashed 7/26/19
Approved 10/10/19
At Dealer 10/22/19.
I’m amazed and couldn’t be happier!

Reactions: nikonNUT

chase102798

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Nescopeck, PA
The people answering the phone are NOT examiners. The people answering the phone are there to do just that. I’m not blowing up the phone system. Calling once a month or so is not only reasonable but the people on the phone ask You to cal back in that time. At any rate, the conduct of grabbing random forums is completely out of line. I have since contacted my congress and senators regarding this matter. I will keep you all posted as things progress.
I did some checking and it seems you are correct. I was wrong. I apologize. We found some bad information online, one being from a pretty reputable online info source. Im not sure what you mean by grabbing random forums, but in any case, I apologize for getting involved in the topic with bad info. As you were...

NorthWesterner

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
I did some checking and it seems you are correct. I was wrong. I apologize. We found some bad information online, one being from a pretty reputable online info source. Im not sure what you mean by grabbing random forums, but in any case, I apologize for getting involved in the topic with bad info. As you were...
Not a worry. Thanks for following up. What I mean is the atf admitted to moving pending forms from the middle of the stack effectively having people skipped in line. They did this to improve “average wait time” by making some extreme outliers on the short end to skew the true results.

Tt78

Private
Belligerents
May 17, 2014
It's pretty clear that the Trust review is a major bottleneck. They probably have a single lawyer reviewing all trust documentation.

Reactions: LSUbeatUby40

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Belligerents
Feb 19, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's pretty clear that the Trust review is a major bottleneck. They probably have a single lawyer reviewing all trust documentation.
This is probably way too much to ask but you think theyd save the trust after reviewing it for the first time and when they get a new suppressor form they would just do a compare documents to see if anything has changed. Would speed up their review and lessen the burden on whoever is reviewing the trust language.

But lawyers (if one is reviewing trusts) are greedy and these people clearly arent smart enough to streamline processes.

Reactions: Nimothy

Srikaleak

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
Don't hate the messenger but this is crazy...
Purchased via Capitol Armory, paperwork mostly filled online using their online tool.
Purchase Date: 6/10/2019
Paperwork Submitted: 6/18/2019 (via CapitolArmory)
Check Cashed: ?
Stamp Approved: 10/13/2019
At Dealer: 10/23/2019
4 months baby! I filed as an individual FYI. My last stamp took ~10 months.

chase102798

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Nescopeck, PA
Don't hate the messenger but this is crazy...
Purchased via Capitol Armory, paperwork mostly filled online using their online tool.
Purchase Date: 6/10/2019
Paperwork Submitted: 6/18/2019 (via CapitolArmory)
Stamp Approved: 10/13/2019
At Dealer: 10/23/2019
4 months baby! I filed as an individual FYI. My last stamp took ~10 months.

Thats awesome dude. we have had about 20 back lately in 3-4 months. We had one in 7 weeks which was ridiculous.

Reactions: Srikaleak

LSUbeatUby40

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 21, 2007
Zachary, Louisiana
Purchased an M110 suppressor in BLK direct from KAC via Interstate Guns in Hammond, LA (Shout out to those guys).
Paperwork filled online using Silencer Shop account.

Purchase date: 8-7-19 direct from KAC
Disposed to dealer: 10-9-19
Paperwork Submitted: 10-25-19
Stamp Approved: ?
At Dealer: ?

sam4886

Double tap
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Columbia basin
Jesus, your form 3 took 2 months?

I went back and looked at my bank stuff and my check was cashed 6/26/19. Maybe like one of the lucky ones that got pulled and I'll get a call today.

whoreable

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2010
Cash checked 5/16/18

Form 4 returned today "unresolved background" :mad:

they can find osama bin laden, but cant determine a simple DD214 history.....

so livid right now, FFL did not receive a UPIN for me, not sure where to start this resubmit

NAS78

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2018
TBAC ULTRA 9 30cal
Check cashed 1/9/19
Approved 10/21/19

This is the first time in the past 3 yrs that I haven't had at least 1 can in the pipeline pending. Feels weird

Reactions: 300 grainpill

CO Gunner 6.5

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2019
Colorado
I picked up my first suppressor after waiting less than 3 months; ordered July 29 and got the call to pick up on October 21.
Just wish I would’ve bought the three I plan on buying all at the same time; doubt this time frame will ever be possible again.

C_R_Slacker

Private
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Form 4 individual. Check cashed 7-5-19, approved 9-14-19, picked up yesterday because apparently my dealer tried to contact me once and didn't leave a voicemail or try to send an email. No idea how long they actually had the stamp. I only knew it was approved because i called the ATF.

I have another form 4 individual that was purchased 6 months before this one that is still pending. Go figure...

Both purchased through silencer shop fwiw.

Longshot231

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
I purchased four cans on the same day on 6/20/19. Check cashed on all four on 7/8/19.

As per my previous posting, two of those cans were approved on 10/4/19 - 88 days later.

I got the call on Sunday that the other two were ready for pickup.

They were approved, by the same examiner, on 10/10/19 - 94 days later.

All four were Form 4 individual purchases.

sam4886

Double tap
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Columbia basin
Called this morning to check, hoping mine would be one of the short ones from this summer. No luck.

ATF received 6/26
Still pending 10/30

F4 individual, BTW.

The only thing I could get out of them was that it's a 10 month average wait time. Hopefully have it in time for spring shooting.

Longshot231

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
NFA tracker gives us a pretty good idea of average wait times spread out over the entire country.

However, I'd like to see something that shows us the average wait times per state and/or regional ATF office.

rlarsen462

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Finally made my first suppressor purchase yesterday, a Sandman-S and a Mask for the 22 pistol and rifles my daughter likes to shoot. Did Individuals on both. Pretty seamless through SilencerShop. The wait begins, hoping the <4 month trend continues for current purchases but not expecting to pick them up before summer...

Reactions: hotshot65

ToddM

Philanthropist
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 1, 2008
PA
Getting pretty tempting with those wait times, now we just need another great sale like they did a couple years ago.

C_R_Slacker

Private
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Getting pretty tempting with those wait times, now we just need another great sale like they did a couple years ago.
If you're thinking about buying a suppressor because of the wait times, you're just playing the lottery. It's random chance whether you'll get approved in two months or twelve. Also, a big sale ain't gonna help wait times any. If you want one get one, wait for the call, and forget about it. You'll be happy you did.

Longshot231

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
If you're thinking about buying a suppressor because of the wait times, you're just playing the lottery. It's random chance whether you'll get approved in two months or twelve. Also, a big sale ain't gonna help wait times any. If you want one get one, wait for the call, and forget about it. You'll be happy you did.
I got tired of waiting for the HPA to pass.

And anyone that’s waiting for the HPA to pass, again, is building in another 2-3 year wait time anyway. Pro gun congress critters got to get elected and legislation has to be introduced...

If you want one and have the money then buy it.

I talked with someone recently, who said it took him 15 years to convince his wife to let him buy a suppressor. What a bitch!

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
Belligerents
Mar 8, 2017
Kaysville Utah
Called today. Approved finally.

Thunderbeast 22td

Form 4 trust with 2rp
Cashed sep 19 2018 (atf said sep 21)
Approved Nov 1st 2019
406 or 408 days from cash to approval.

Last edited: