Form 4 wait time

Surgeon_Shooter

Ancient,Free and Accepted
Mar 2, 2009
Louisiana
How long is the wait time on a form 4 to date? Post how long you have been waiting or how long you recently waited before it was completed and sighned.

JAY

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
Pelham, AL.
Re: Form 4 wait time

There is a pretty good detailed time line over on Silencertalk.com. It's under silencertalk subforum, thread name ATF continued. Different people are getting different results. I have had one pending since 5/27. I called them and they are waiting on my fingerprint cards. Some people that sent theirs in around the time I did have got theirs back a month ago. It's luck of the draw right now.

Dagsta

Gunny Sergeant
Feb 14, 2008
Louisiana

took about 3mos for approval and I've been waiting since Aug 2nd for paperwork to arrive in mail. And I'm still waiting!!!!

Oct 3, 2005
Las Cruces, New Mexico

They are assigned to examiner by 1'st letter of last name. Depending on that letter it can go 2-12+ months. It's the government can't over work them, if pushed pace will go from turtle to handicapped snail.

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are assigned to examiner by 1'st letter of last name. Depending on that letter it can go 2-12+ months. It's the government can't over work them, if pushed pace will go from turtle to handicapped snail. </div></div>

Actually each dealer has a designated examiner. How they determine which examiner does which dealers, I dont know that information.

May 18, 2009
Pelham, AL.

I've learned patience the hard way fooling with NFA toys. Send it off and forget about it is the best advice I've been given. Although it's hard for me to do.

Dagsta

Gunny Sergeant
Feb 14, 2008
Louisiana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang,how long have you been waiting for the paper work? If you dont mind me asking who did you order from? </div></div>

a good buddy of mine, this is really weird. First time its taken this long after approval to get paperwork.

Joel45

Sergeant
Jun 10, 2009
Utah

I sure hope they are working weekend--they have 4 forms I am waiting on. I have been pending almost two months. HURRY!

Oct 29, 2004
San Antonio

I just picked up my AAC M4 2000 after only a 2 month wait. That is the fastest I have experienced. Recently bought 2 other cans from another dealer and those took about 4 months. Different dealers have different NFA agents. Some seem more motivated to get stuff off their desk.

Dec 27, 2008
MO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TypeR632</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's also been rumored they are working weekends. Don't know if its true or not?! </div></div>

NOPE .. someone was blowing smoke!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up my AAC M4 2000 after only a 2 month wait. That is the fastest I have experienced. Recently bought 2 other cans from another dealer and those took about 4 months. Different dealers have different NFA agents. Some seem more motivated to get stuff off their desk. </div></div>

Your killing me Smalls, mine went pending July 6th and I am still waiting. My examiner is Ted Clutter.

Aug 14, 2007
Florida

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are assigned to examiner by 1'st letter of last name. Depending on that letter it can go 2-12+ months. It's the government can't over work them, if pushed pace will go from turtle to handicapped snail. </div></div>

Actually each dealer has a designated examiner. How they determine which examiner does which dealers, I dont know that information. </div></div>

yep,Ive had two dealers,both different examiners.

gump

Private
Feb 11, 2005
TN

I'm on my 3rd transfer and this is by far the slowest. I sent paperwork off for my Yankee Hill .30 can on April 24th went pending middle of May... still pending here at the of August. My others took 2 months tops. Oh well.... I guess our tax dollars are hard at work.

WileyG

Sergeant
Jun 24, 2009
Alabama

Mailed my F4 July 2nd. Check cashed July 6th. Pending since August 10th. Ted Clutter is my examiner too. Hope to be approved any day now.

Oct 29, 2004
San Antonio

Had 2 cans approved via Ted Clutter. For the cans that were approved by Mr Clutter, the forms were sent March 6 and my class 3 guy got the forms back July 21.

damcv62

Sergeant
Aug 5, 2009
Lancaster, Pa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dag1055</div><div class="ubbcode-body">took about 3mos for approval and I've been waiting since Aug 2nd for paperwork to arrive in mail. And I'm still waiting!!!! </div></div>

I had this problem before with shippman. One call to the section chief, I had the forms with in the week.

May 18, 2009
Pelham, AL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TypeR632</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a pretty good detailed time line over on Silencertalk.com. It's under silencertalk subforum, thread name ATF continued. Different people are getting different results. I have had one pending since 5/27. I called them and they are waiting on my fingerprint cards. Some people that sent theirs in around the time I did have got theirs back a month ago. It's luck of the draw right now. </div></div>

Approved 8/31/09, going to pick it up tomorrow.

Dec 29, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA

How are you guys checking status? All I can tell is that my check cashed 11 August. Where are you finding pending status and inspectors name?

Thanks!

Edited: Pending 31 AUG

Sep 28, 2007
Rapid City, SD

call NFA at ph# 304-616-4500 and ask for a status update on your can/SBR/etc... You will need to provide them the serial number or your suppressor etc. for them to check. They will also provie you the examiner name. The people that answer the phone are not the happiest people in the world so treat them gently and they will usually talk nice.

Feb 20, 2009
Central Texas

Still awaiting Approval:(

Can on a trust...

Mailed in my Form 4 on 4/18/09
Check cashed 4/29/09
Went pending on 6/18/09
Still waiting on 9/8/09
*Approved* on........9/15/09

I am thinking it will get approved in the next week or 2, which will put it in the "3 month" range from Pending to Approved.

cheshier2

Gunny Sergeant
Jul 29, 2005
Lodi,ohio
www.sjgunrefinishing.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just sent the good ol ATF my form 4 on my new AAC cyclone 7.62 and im kinda wandering about how long i should expect to wait.Im guessing about 2 or 3 months but thats just a guess.If anybody got theres back recently,How long did it take yours to return?

Thanks for the help

JAY </div></div>

Just sit back and it will be under the X-mass tree. MAYBE!. LOL.. You guys keep for getting that this is a privilege not our right. At least thats what I was told by the nice BITCH I talked to about my transfer time.

May 18, 2009
Pelham, AL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S&J Refinishing</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just sent the good ol ATF my form 4 on my new AAC cyclone 7.62 and im kinda wandering about how long i should expect to wait.Im guessing about 2 or 3 months but thats just a guess.If anybody got theres back recently,How long did it take yours to return?

Thanks for the help

JAY </div></div>

Just sit back and it will be under the X-mass tree. MAYBE!. LOL.. You guys keep for getting that this is a privilege not our right. At least thats what I was told by the nice BITCH I talked to about my transfer time. </div></div>

That would have burnt my ass up. And the problem is you really can't say anything to them. You may never get the item.

c_bass16

Gunny Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
SD
www.joeuntitled.com

I am still a bit disgruntled about the delivery time for a can to my dealer. My YHM Phantom should have been sent out by now "so the YHM rep told me"

Ordered 3/05/09
check cashed 3/26/09
YHM waiting for dealer paper work to clear 6/4/09
YHM "should be sent out any day now" 7/18/09

still waiting 9/09/09

gaw

Private
Sep 9, 2009
WA

Dealer delivery on mt Abraxas was 7 1/2 mo. My last atf transfer this spring was 17 weeks! I was used to 5-7 weeks. :-(

Apr 14, 2005
White Signal, NM

I bought two machineguns early April,

check was cashed April 22,

went pending June 12,

my dealer called me yesterday 09/10 and said he had the two approved form 4's in hand !