First time buying a chassis? Suggestions on these 3.

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
As the title states I have been looking into a chassis for my Rem 300wm. I have it narrowed down to 3 options that fit my price range but have no time behind either. Looking for friendly advice and input if anyone has any!

The chassis are MDT LSS XL gen 2, XLR Element, XLR Envy.
My budget for the chassis is around 900 so these all fit the bill (buttstock included)

The gun will be a summer project that I use for shooting long range and developing loads for. It will not be a match rifle so weight is not a factor.

Thanks in advance.

christopher.dow

I can use measuring things
Apr 28, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I have an MDT LSS Gen II and an XLR Envy. I prefer the XLR. I like the folder I got with it, the fit & finish are generally better, and then Envy has both pic and ARCA under the hand guard. I do actually use the bubble level. The grip screw from XLR accommodates the fat Ergo, whereas the MDT does not—you’ll have to source a longer screw if you want that grip.

In pictures, I liked the look of the MDT better, but in practice, I’d get an Element from XLR instead of the LSS Gen II if I had it to do over again (XLR doesn’t list the Deviant LA as an option for the Envy).

Nov 17, 2011
Massachusetts
i have the XLR evo on my 300 win mag and love it......any of the XLR line is good.

if weight is not a factor....i would find someone to machine up a solid stainless steel buffer tube for you......it will add about 2lbs to the rifle and will GREATLY reduce felt recoil.

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
i have the XLR evo on my 300 win mag and love it......any of the XLR line is good.

if weight is not a factor....i would find someone to machine up a solid stainless steel buffer tube for you......it will add about 2lbs to the rifle and will GREATLY reduce felt recoil.
That's a great idea, I got a buddy works at a machine shop so I'll have to see if we can't fabricate something up. Are you running ay muzzle brake on your 300wm? If so what mb do you prefer?

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
I have an MDT LSS Gen II and an XLR Envy. I prefer the XLR. I like the folder I got with it, the fit & finish are generally better, and then Envy has both pic and ARCA under the hand guard. I do actually use the bubble level. The grip screw from XLR accommodates the fat Ergo, whereas the MDT does not—you’ll have to source a longer screw if you want that grip.

In pictures, I liked the look of the MDT better, but in practice, I’d get an Element from XLR instead of the LSS Gen II if I had it to do over again (XLR doesn’t list the Deviant LA as an option for the Envy).
In relation to the Envy and element, is the pic rail and integrated bubble level really that useful in the envy? I've never shot with a anti cant level so Im not sure how valuable that is in a chassis

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
That's a great way of
XLR Envy, works very well as an adjustable, traditional stock...but if you want to do more with it, the foundation is there for expanding how you use it
That's a great way of looking at it, I can see most agree that the Envy is slightly better and more versatile platform to play with and build upon. Sounds like it's now a decision between Envy and Element!

Nov 17, 2011
Massachusetts
That's a great idea, I got a buddy works at a machine shop so I'll have to see if we can't fabricate something up. Are you running ay muzzle brake on your 300wm? If so what mb do you prefer?
no MB, mainly because my barrel isnt threaded....but with the added weight of the buffer tube its not strictly necessary.

im running one of these on my .308, and am pretty happy with it.
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-AR-30-Cal-Two-Chamber-Muzzle-Brake-p/mi-mb5.htm

when i rebarrel i will likely get a threaded muzzle and toss another Midwest industries brake on it.

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
no MB, mainly because my barrel isnt threaded....but with the added weight of the buffer tube its not strictly necessary.

im running one of these on my .308, and am pretty happy with it.
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-AR-30-Cal-Two-Chamber-Muzzle-Brake-p/mi-mb5.htm

when i rebarrel i will likely get a threaded muzzle and toss another Midwest industries brake on it.
I am getting ready to send my rifle back to Mark over at Short Action Customs for a barrel thread. He suggested the Area 419 Sidewinder for the 300. I do like the attachment system but I do not like the price lol they are expensive!

Crews

Sergeant
May 11, 2017
I have had an Element in the past, and now use an Evo. Big fan of XLR's products. A few small gripes: not having industry standard M-Lok slots, but the newest versions have addressed that. And I wish the stock was hand adjustable, it's a bit of a hassle having to use an allen wrench. But I realize that would come at extra weight and cost, also not that big a deal.

I would suggest leaving room in your budget for the side folding stock option. It's not much money, and is very nice to be able to fold the stock out of the way to clean the barrel, pull the bolt out for a boresight, and more compact for transportation.

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
I have had an Element in the past, and now use an Evo. Big fan of XLR's products. A few small gripes: not having industry standard M-Lok slots, but the newest versions have addressed that. And I wish the stock was hand adjustable, it's a bit of a hassle having to use an allen wrench. But I realize that would come at extra weight and cost, also not that big a deal.

I would suggest leaving room in your budget for the side folding stock option. It's not much money, and is very nice to be able to fold the stock out of the way to clean the barrel, pull the bolt out for a boresight, and more compact for transportation.
The side folder is definitely a good idea, that will have to be had as well. Didn't think of the cleaning process. What lead you to choose the Evo over element? Better features?

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018

Just curious in the actual advantage from element to envy to Evo

Crews

Sergeant
May 11, 2017
I chose the Evo because I got a good deal on a used one and think it looks cool mostly. I do like the longer rail over an Element so I can get the bipod further out there in prone position. They didn't have the Envy when I was making these decisions. If I had to start all over again, I'd get an Envy with the full length ARCA rail on the bottom, infinite possibilities for bipod positioning and barricade stops. Also, with the open top rail design it would be a little more friendly for switching barrels/barrel nuts/ etc if you want to add that capability in the future.

Nov 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I am getting ready to send my rifle back to Mark over at Short Action Customs for a barrel thread. He suggested the Area 419 Sidewinder for the 300. I do like the attachment system but I do not like the price lol they are expensive!
Honestly, my opinion when it comes to brakes is find one you like the looks of that you can afford.....

any brake is going to have a huge impact over no brake at all.....and im not terribly convinced that a $200 brake is going to do anything drastically different than a $40 brake.

its sure as hell not going to work 5x better

spife7980

Feb 10, 2017
TX
If youre not going to be using it in matches that you would want all the barricade stops etc for then I would just go with the element. The envy would be nice but its chock full of features that it sound like you wont be utilizing so paying the premium for them doesnt make sense.

An element outfitted with the tac lite stock, grip and side folder is 710, the equivalent envy is 855. If you are going to just be shooting this at your own leisure trying to get hits from the bench/prone then I would personally like the extreme butt stock with the long bag rider. Upgrading the element to that stock comes out at 795, 60 bucks cheaper than the envy and for that style of shooting I would say better equipped.

If youre going to be running barricade and shooting off acra tripods and bipods then the envy would be the clear choice.

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
If youre not going to be using it in matches that you would want all the barricade stops etc for then I would just go with the element. The envy would be nice but its chock full of features that it sound like you wont be utilizing so paying the premium for them doesnt make sense.

An element outfitted with the tac lite stock, grip and side folder is 710, the equivalent envy is 855. If you are going to just be shooting this at your own leisure trying to get hits from the bench/prone then I would personally like the extreme butt stock with the long bag rider. Upgrading the element to that stock comes out at 795, 60 bucks cheaper than the envy and for that style of shooting I would say better equipped.

If youre going to be running barricade and shooting off acra tripods and bipods then the envy would be the clear choice.
Honestly, my opinion when it comes to brakes is find one you like the looks of that you can afford.....

any brake is going to have a huge impact over no brake at all.....and im not terribly convinced that a $200 brake is going to do anything drastically different than a $40 brake.

its sure as hell not going to work 5x better
Yessir totally agree. 200 bucks is a steeep price for a break! My Car's have been outfitted with a couple precision armament breaks and they work phenomenal. Half the price as well

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018

I think you said it very well man, and I appreciate the advice. This forum is very informative.

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
might want to take a look at the MPA comp chassis its in your budget
I did some reading about them not long ago and really liked the chassis. My problem was the wait time, I would like to shoot the rifle this June or early July and I've heard negative feedback on wait times and some customer service complaints. But that is also speaking from what I've read not what I've encountered myself. Have you dealt with them before?

Jul 15, 2017
i guess i should of read before i opened my mouth your looking for a long action i ASSumed you were looking for a short action

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
i guess i should of read before i opened my mouth your looking for a long action i ASSumed you were looking for a short action
Lol no worries man it happens to the best of us haha. I appreciate the help tho, I'll have to add that to recommendations as well

christopher.dow

I can use measuring things
Apr 28, 2017
San Francisco, CA

I second everything here. Also the Element has a bigger mag option. If you get that, you can load longer rounds, which can be useful for solids.

Cookieman8

New Hide Member
May 15, 2018
Thanks everyone for the help, I ordered the XLR element with the tac buttstock. Should be here in 3-4 weeks Matt said so I am excited! I'll let you guys know how it feels and looks when I get it!

Top Bottom