First LR rifle ever. First day at the range.

New Hide Member
Mar 1, 2018
Anchorage, AK
Okay, so this is kind of a lie, because I haven't bought my long range rifle setup yet, but still want to ask where do I start on day one?

Obviously I want to zero my rifle. I'm assuming at 100 yards. Is that the first thing I do, and what's next?

Do I just get comfortable with my rifle and get a few nice groups and call it a day, or should I have more of a purpose and start gathering data?

Something witty here
Feb 12, 2014
Cheyenne WY.
Always shoot with a purpose. Get it zeroed and get a rough estimate of drops from JBM online, compare with actual data. True your data. Double check zero before you leave. This is what I do. Just some ideas.
Feb 20, 2017
SE Florida
Not enough information to provide a meaningful answer.
What kind of rifle?
What adjustments to the chassis are available and what have you done?
What caliber and are you shooting factory ammo? If so, what kind?
What is your shooting experience? Do you know how to get a good zero? Do you know how to shoot decent groups? Can you?
What facilities does the range offer? Can you go prone? Do you want to shoot prone?
How many yards can you shoot at? How many yards do you want to shoot at?
Answers to these questions will allow some to tell you what their experience has given them.
Everybody had to start some time.
Feb 16, 2017
First you need to impress her, take her to the range in a nice vehicle. Then while shooting get to know her better, what she likes and doesnt like. Where she likes to be held, what she likes whispered in her ear when pulling the trigger. Ive got more but think I will stop there.

Sergeant of the Hide
Aug 4, 2017
Asheville NC
I'd suggest spending some time on your living room floor with the rifle after you've got the scope properly mounted adjusting the fit of the rifle. If your 5'7" or so things are pretty easy if you are significantly taller or shorter (think arm length) then it's going to take some adjusting the LOP (length of pull) and the position of the scope on the rifle to get both proper eye relief and LOP. There are some excellent articles HERE. If you like videos Frank (the owner of this forum) has an excellent collection of instructional videos available by monthly subscription, $15/mo is an excellent value for what your getting.