First bolt gun, Howa 1500 B/A

Frog05

KeepItSimpleStupid
Feb 15, 2017
Southern Illinois
Im building a bolt gun for my brother for when he comes home on leave. I just wanted to run my build list by you guys and see what you all think. We are working off of a budget. I’ve never ran any of these products but I’m trying to do my homework and get him into a solid rifle at his price point. Thanks for the help in advance!

-Howa 1500 barreled action from Brownells 6.5 creedmoor heavy 24” threaded

-MDT LSS-XL gen 2 chassis, fixed stock

-MDT Skeleton stock

-MDT pistol grip

-MDT 20moa scope base

-APA little bastard brake.

Sep 20, 2013
I'm sure your brother would be happy with that setup.

You probably don't need the brake.

Consider the ESS for a few more dollars.

All good choices.

Frog05

KeepItSimpleStupid
Feb 15, 2017
Southern Illinois
Looks good to me! What’s your goal for the build, target shooting, hunting, competition? Do you have an optic in mind?
Mainly punching paper and banging steel, coyote hunting and if he ever wants to dive into competition I think it would be a good starter rifle.
No optic yet (military pay sucks) so I’m going to let him use my gen II Razor while he’s in to try out. Hopefully by sometime next year he can have some glass on it

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks Hawk, ya I think I can get him into an ESS for pretty close to what the LSS-xl was going to cost and gain a whole lot of modularity with it. Any recommendations on the rail? I’m looking at the full top rail 15”
The MDT rails have worked very well on my Ess chassis.

Jul 12, 2014
Alaskan bush
That's a good setup w ESS. Is your brother an avid shooter?

If so, then only thing I'd personally change would be to ditch the brake at first because of the additional, unnecessary startup cost. For his uses there seems a decent argument for having one eventually, but starting out it seems like that could wait as the recoil is quite manageable.

If he's a.d. mil there's all sorts of lucrative discounts from various optics manufacturers.

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 27, 2009
Ingleside, Tx
The MDT is a fine product, but if you are truly working within a budget, the KRG Bravo is very hard to beat.
You can even get the package through brownells.
This would leave you with more money for glass and accessories

Jun 1, 2018
VA
I'll add a +1 to the Bravo. Pretty fantastic chassis for not a bad price. And the amount of accessories that KRG offers for it makes upgrades incredibly easy later on down the road.

Frog05

KeepItSimpleStupid
Feb 15, 2017
Southern Illinois
Good advice on the Bravo @fdkay & @etn2type. I’ll send him the info on the two chassis and let him decide which one he wants. Like I said before I don’t have any experience with either one but from what I’ve read I think he will be happy with either way. His gun, his choice.
@b6graham agreed on the brake! Lol
Once again, thank you all for the feedback!