Favorite Mags for Bighorn TL3???

Dutch260

Online Training Member
Apr 10, 2017
Katy, TX
I'm collecting up the last few parts for my custom build and was hoping to get some input from fellow TL3 (SA) owners on what magazine would best fit my needs.

Context:
- Rifle will be mainly used for hunting and shooting steel at the moment.
- Bighorn TL3 SA AW Cut
- Badger M5 DBM
- Looking for a magazine allowing the most COAL (just in case)
- Looking for a magazine that is relatively low profile. I don't need to have 10 rounds ready to fly as 5 would do just fine for my purposes. However, an extremely reliable 10 round mag that is low profile is definitely not off the table.

I'll admit I have not done a ton of research yet as I wasn't quite sure where to start but at the moment I am considering the Alpha Type 2 mags or possibly the ARC mags if I can find them.

However, I thought you experienced shooters would have practical first hand experience/knowledge on this so I wanted to start here.

Thanks in advance fellas!

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
Southeastern, Pennsylvania
AICS, AW and ARC mags have all run flawless in my 2xTL3's in XLR chassis in 6.5cm and 6.5x47L.

In 223 I had issues with MDT mags in my TL3 but others have not. No matter what I could not get them to run. I was running Alpha 223 mags which wouldnt push the last 2 rounds up so the bolt was sliding over them. Stretched the spring out and that fixed that issue but still wasnt butter smooth.

Recently picked up new AI 223 mags from a Hide member which are discontinued and I was blown away. They run butter smooth and better than all the other 223 mags I've tested to date. No clue why they stopped making them

Hope that helps

MDT_Josh

New Hide Member
Apr 19, 2018
Chilliwack, BC
mdttac.com
AICS, AW and ARC mags have all run flawless in my 2xTL3's in XLR chassis in 6.5cm and 6.5x47L.

In 223 I had issues with MDT mags in my TL3 but others have not. No matter what I could not get them to run. I was running Alpha 223 mags which wouldnt push the last 2 rounds up so the bolt was sliding over them. Stretched the spring out and that fixed that issue but still wasnt butter smooth.

Recently picked up new AI 223 mags from a Hide member which are discontinued and I was blown away. They run butter smooth and better than all the other 223 mags I've tested to date. No clue why they stopped making them

Hope that helps
Sorry to hear that you had issues with our mags, but we are working to replace a lot of the polymer mags with a more revised design that will work better in all actions. The AI's generally feed very smoothly for 223, and I've fun a few in my trainer rifles, but their biggest issue is that they have a split line in their plastic mould that runs down the centre of the mag. The downside to that is that the AI 223 mags tend to split after a few thousand cycles and will not hold up great when dropped.

As for a mag for your TL3 Dutch, give our metal magazines a try! We have the 10 rounders available now, which are shorter than the ARC and AI, but also have 12 rounders due to be on the site in the next few months!

christopher.dow

I can use measuring things
Apr 28, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I’ve run AI, Accurate Mag, AW, Magpul, and ARC mags in my TL3 from an XLR Envy and a Manners EH-1A (but the latter has fewer rounds through it). I had trouble with failures to feed in Magpul with .308 (intermitant) and AW (feeds only six of the rounds) with 6.5 Creedmoor. I had a couple of problems (follower getting out of whack) with ARC mags, but since I put in the MK followers they’ve been 100% reliable. Neither the AI nor Accurate Mags have ever failed to feed a round of .308 or 6.5.

noisewaterphd

Burro Luchador
Feb 13, 2017
Wild West
The TL3 has run every mag I've tried, AI, ARC, AW, MDT, Accurate, etc...

It's more about fitting the mags to your chassis, stock and adjusting mags as needed for your cartridge. I had to make adjustments to run some of those mags.

Whoever builds your gun will (or they *should*) set it up to run whatever magazine you want to run.

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Have AICS, ARC, MDT (223), Accurate (SAUM) and AW mags for my TL3. I'd say the simplest/easiest option is to get a 5 round and a 10 round AICS mag. They have been 100% for me. ARC's are nice for size but required follower modification and they won't run in dusty conditions. AW's are a more recent addition to my collection and may require a bit of feed lip tweaking to suit your action and chassis, but they are very smooth and compact. The MDT and Accurate mags are callber specific for my uses but have both been trouble free.

earthquake

Gunny Sergeant
Jul 30, 2009
Delaware, OH
All (ARC, AICS, Accurate) have run great in my TL3's. I didn't have the same luck with Magpul plastic mags though. But that could have been a chassis issue rather than the action.

Dutch260

Online Training Member
Apr 10, 2017
Katy, TX
Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I need to get my rifle and get a feel for what kind of COAL I'll be looking to load at to see if I'll even need the extra room the the ARCs and alpha type 2 mags offer.

I forgot to mention in my original post that this will be for 6.5 creedmoor.

Top Bottom