Ever get Frustrated?

JohnMWoo

A regular guy in need training...
Jun 9, 2008
San Diego,California / Japan
Hello All,

I am back in the states now, and renewing my passion with shooting the precision rifle.

So, every week, off to the range to practice... However, sometimes I do well, with one hole, 5 shot groups with my SRS in 6.5 Creedmoor, and other times I am really off. Shotgun patterns (bit of an exaggeration, but it feels that way).

Ever get frustrated and just want to toss your whole rifle set up downrange?

I also realize that shooting the precision rifle is a very perishable skill. Things that I had known before, need to be relearned since I've been away from it for so long. I need those SH On-Line trainings!

R,
John W.

diverdon

Online Training Member
Dec 21, 2011
WNY
If every day was great them it would get boring. The thing is to train yourself not to allow your last shot to effect your next shot.

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Aug 19, 2010
North Denver, CO
Don't get caught up in group size. If that's all you're doing, shooting is going to get boring really fast.

On the other hand, even shooting targets there are days I cant hit the smaller targets....so I aim for bigger ones. lol. That and slow down. Practice fundamentals and repeatability.

Regards,
DT

Gray Squirrel

Protect the nuts.
Jun 30, 2012
North TX
Meh, some days you're the monkey, and some days you're the football.

Sucking every once in awhile is the name of the game, its the human in us, and the frustration is natural. We've all felt it. It's a mental discipline to dig down deeper and forge forward at the same level without allowing yourself to get flustered. If you are frustrated over group size and its starting to get to you, shoot another weapon system for a little while, or move onto a different precision rifle discipline, maybe shooting alternate positions or doing a short run and gun. If its the anomaly and not the standard, then you know you're just having an off day and things will shake out. As long as you are not getting sloppy with the fundamentals, then its still valuable training even if you're group size is a bit larger than you'd like it.

And in reality, I'm sure you're groups are actually still pretty good even when you think you suck.

Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
I agree with "Go home after you bring it in and get some hits". Not going home on a losing string is crucial to your motivation, the thing that gets you up and headed out for the range the next time.

Even if it's only three hoops in a row into the trashcan with a wad of paper (like that sucky target).

I used to bring my supahdupah targets home and tack them up on the inside of the garage wall. I moved here to Arizona almost two years ago now.

I left them where they were. I can always make more...

Greg

Feb 1, 2012
Midwest
Yea...I feel your pain. Had big plans today to shoot some older load development I did previously. Wasnt into it from the beginning. Just felt “off”. I couldnt find my ass with both hands. Gave up about halfway thru the 30rd test. I did get a bit of direction though so I guess it wasnt a total waste. Packed the rifle up and tossed some .44spl past the chrono for speed numbers. Since I really wasnt AIMING at anything doing that I succeeded.

There’s always next time

Feb 26, 2013
Ohio
I used to get frustrated, then I got married, had kids, and now I cherish every minute shooting that I no longer get frustrated. I just really really enjoy my time shooting and if I'm not shooting worth a shit, then I just look forward to some time spent at the reloading bench on a rainy day when the kids are taking a nap and the wife is at work. Time gets to be so precious for me that the older I get the less I let things ruin my time spent doing something that is supposed to be fun. For me shooting is all about NOT being frustrated.

Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
I get frustrated. You just have to calm down, figure out where you're at and what's going on with you, or the rifle, or the load. It's a big reason why I stopped developing loads. I went with one or two loads per rifle years ago and stay with it.

I find most of the time, it's because my brain isn't in the game. I get it in the game and I'm workin' again.