Elr Mach V

skkeeter

BillyGoatMachine
Jun 22, 2012
Redway, Ca.
www.billygoatmachine.com
It's a BMG necked down to .375 and going to pack a punch. I chambered the rifle up for the Northern Ca URSA match director. My lathe can accommodate barrels up to 2" in diameter which is why he made the drive to see me. If he can find a good load that stabilizes the solids the other competitors are going to be in trouble. Either way it's going to be fun watching the development in the ELR game with this round even though it's been around for awhile. Could be in the vicinity of 3900fps! It's the rifle dressed in blue. Also that's just a dummy round so disregard the case damage. Rifle still needs to be bedded before testing.

elr.jpg elr2.jpg elr3.jpg

THEIS

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

I am doing an improved version right now :)
Depending on what projectile weight he is wanting to shoot, his MV could be pushing 4200fps.
Barrel eaters but who cares lol...

20180703_130854.jpg

Edited To Add:
@skkeeter I am assuming he is not building to stay under the KO2M lowered weight limits for next year :) ?
I look at the weights listed on the KO2M standing update and see how many are overweight for next years weight (unless something changes).
That new weight limit is going to be the only "limitation" to the up and coming wildcats based on the BMG brass IMO.
Nice to see Lynn build a new one.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
You might have to change the barrels about the same time most would clean, but if you are pushing those into the 4200fps range, it might bring a whole new level of repeatably and first shot capability to those trying to push close to 4000 yards and rule at the 2000 yard range.

THEIS

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

Back in the day Klaus averaged about 900 rounds IIRC with his monolithic projectiles but projectile design, barrel manufacturers willing to change rifling profiles and metal coatings have advanced since then, so barrel life could be a little more than that but I doubt much more.

Sincerely,
Theis

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Oct 24, 2007
Wautoma, WI
I believe they pushed the 40lb limit to 2020... there is another year of 45lb. I don't see a problem eating up a barrel before 2020. Garrett Fravert is using a bmg necked down to 416 and I'm pretty sure he is over 3600fps. So I would assume you'd be close to 4K.

Last edited:

skkeeter

BillyGoatMachine
Jun 22, 2012
Redway, Ca.
www.billygoatmachine.com
I doubt Lynn is building this for the Ko2m. I think he mentioned 361 and 400g solids for the loads, not sure which powder. But yeah, Lynn's probably got plenty of it lol. I think the biggest hurdle with these wildcats are getting dies made, which he already has. I know he's been waiting a year on Snipetac dies as I built him one awhile ago that's still virgin. My rifles are shooting fantastic at the URSA events, and hopefully one day they will make it to the Ko2m matches. By the way, anyone looking for some fast turnaround times for a build, my backlog is pretty much caught up. I've got a 1 week turnaround on customer supplied parts builds, for the moment.

THEIS

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

Dies are for sure a pain in these big wildcats but stocks are also huge hurdle for people not wanting the block style BR stocks.

Off the shelf powders that he is testing are RE50,US869 and VV20N29.

VV hopefully gives him the best MV but it can be erratic with temperature changes. Hopefully Lynn has a temp box that he can use to regulate and keep cartridges at same temp.

Also taking the guts from one of those laser thermometers and building it into a cartridge that would operate with bolt closure would be good to keep track of real time chamber temps instead of relying on external barrel temp for a chamber temp gauge.

Sincerely,
Theis

Jun 24, 2003
Keene, NH
Well, if all of us collectively engage the powder makers to develop a powder that will actually work in these wildcats, we're out of luck.
Any of them, ( our 375 Warner, 416 Warner, Barrett in 374 or 416, or others similar) have to go way over pressure of what a 50 BMG case will withstand
to get to velocities we are looking for. @ 3550 w/ our 361, pressure makes the case useless after the 4th firing. Similar results with the others mentioned. I've made some press tooling to reform and recover the rim and pocket to as new, but it is not viable for a commercial cartridge.
I'm experimenting with a reinforced design (three versions actually) and so far, have gotten to 3670 with no damage. Just under 3500 w/ the 400 Flat Line. My goal is 10 to 15 reloads before having to toss the brass. Did I mention I'd pay 10 grand for a ceramic barrel?
Frank, Tracey, you listening?????????
Alan

Mar 28, 2011
Sonoma county, CA
Let me know if you go with him. How was your hunt? and hopefully you didn't get stuck is that mess of a highway closure that caught Lynn on Monday night.
Super thick , we need some game cameras to help narrow down the time frame.
I drove past closure when it was happening, and I thought it was a car accident, the shooter was probably walking down the freeway right by me

Nov 20, 2011
Alan
Have you tried any Vectan powder available from ShadyGrady?
And did you try any of the blends using H4895 and 20mm surplus powder?
For the fireform loads I will be using 350 Sierra's and US869 or RE50 because I have them and they are cheaper than VV20N29.
In my original barrel my load was 218 grains of 20N29 with a 330 grain solid but that was many many years ago.
On the way home from BillyGoat Machine they closed the second biggest freeway in the state for almost 8 hours. I slept in the front seat of my truck until it re-opened at 11:57 PM then waited for the 1000's of trucks and cars to get home at 1:45AM.
I did see a hitchhiker north of town but doubt he was the murderer they where looking for.
Barrel is 38 inches long.
Bedding the gun today.
It's the 4th of July so once the fireworks start going off I can most likely get a few loads fireform without a visit from the police.

Nov 6, 2013
Southern, IN
Hi,

Also taking the guts from one of those laser thermometers and building it into a cartridge that would operate with bolt closure would be good to keep track of real time chamber temps instead of relying on external barrel temp for a chamber temp gauge.

Sincerely,
Theis
Not sure if you excluded it for some reason, but you could use a thermacouple to get those temps pretty quickly and easily, and they are not that expensive.
Thermocouple Example

You could rig the ends of the wires into sometype of a dummy cartridge that you could chamber. You could get temps from various locations based on where you put them. Just chamber the dummy round, let is set for a couple of seconds, and you could see the temps on the reader.

Gotta love this crazy ELR stuff!

Nov 20, 2011
Theis
I don't have any 872 but it is available.
Vectan has a powder slower than SP13 that should work as well.
Klaus was getting up to 4800 FPS but he didn't shoot heavy bullets. My memory isn't very good but I think the heaviest he used was 320 or 330 but don't quote me on that.
If Hoffer makes us some flashtubes they will displace about 55-60 grains of powder and give us another 75 FPS. We would need to leave the end of the flashtube open so we can deprime the case and use Dacron wadding to keep kernels of powder from getting inside.
In the old old old days when I had hair we used 20mm cannon powder that was too slow. You would fill the case and not get much pressure.
You would then blend in some faster burning powder up the pressure but this isn't for the faint of heart.

THEIS

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

IIRC Klaus's solid bronze bullets were 300gr. So yes he liked the lightweight bullets better :)

I am not dealing with blending powders myself lol.

Come on Hoffer....we need those flashtubes.

Sincerely,
Theis

Nov 20, 2011
We ran RE50 today and the 350 Sierra Matchkings because I had 500 of them laying around.
I ran 185 190 195 and 200 grains with 200 grains giving me 3484 FPS.
The case once fireformed holds 285.5 grains of water.
I will try US869 and VV20N29 when I get some better brass.
I was using factory Barrett brass made by IMI but have a connection that has buckets of TZZ IMI brass which is much stronger.
Only shot 16 rounds today but the gun is a pussycat to shoot.

We ran RE50 today and the 350 Sierra Matchkings because I had 500 of them laying around.
I ran 185 190 195 and 200 grains with 200 grains giving me 3484 FPS.
The case once fireformed holds 285.5 grains of water.
I will try US869 and VV20N29 when I get some better brass.
I was using factory Barrett brass made by IMI but have a connection that has buckets of TZZ IMI brass which is much stronger.
Only shot 16 rounds today but the gun is a pussycat to shoot.
Lynn - please post a pic of the fire-formed case. Thanks.

Top Bottom