Eating Tree Rats, Groundhogs, and Whistlepigs

Jan 6, 2012
Parboil squirrel (geys here in GA). Skim the nasty foamy crap off as it boils.

From there you can cut up, dip in egg/buttermilk, bread (cornmeal with a little flour and salt) and pan fry. Redneck dipping sauce made from ketchup and horseradish goes good with it.

Or remove meat from bone and make dumplings. You'll need to add fat (crisco works fine) to the dumplings because the broth does not have enough. Roll the dumpling out thin because they swell when cooked. Add the meat after the dumplings are done.

Caveman0101

New Hide Member
Mar 16, 2018
I would not handle the prairie dogs or whistle pigs, every year here in Colorado people are infected with the plague from their flees. But southern grey and red squirrels, I grew up on them, my dad still loves them in a stew or fried, he eats the brains also.

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Jul 7, 2009
Utah, north
www.coldboremiracle.com
I would not handle the prairie dogs or whistle pigs, every year here in Colorado people are infected with the plague from their flees. But southern grey and red squirrels, I grew up on them, my dad still loves them in a stew or fried, he eats the brains also.
Ive been handling these for years, very rarely see any fleas on them. Maybe Im all plagued out🤷🏼‍♂️

Top Bottom