CZ 457

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
Wanted to show you all the Anarchy Outdoors extended magazine release. It sticks out .5" beyond
the stock. The DIP EMR is a very nice product but it only sticks out about .12" The new AO release guides the mag into the well and the mag drops out clear on it's own. There is no more using your fingernail to get to the release and fighting with a fairly stout spring. EDIT: I have found replacement springs but the only work on the factory or DIP release.

I happen to have an ACE #22 trigger shoe that I put on my MTR and it makes the trigger feel much nicer. I had already done a lap job and spring swap, so the trigger breaks clean at 10 oz. KOD did his trigger with the same .014" wire spring and his trigger breaks at 7.6 oz.

My MTR shoots so well that bought a second Trijicon 5-50x56 for her. I bought my first one for my V22 from B&H camera and they have a 30 day test drive return policy and 12 months with zero interest.

I would think that the Ext mag release would work great for you guy's putting your 457s in a chassis.

Hope this info helps.....
Shawn

Attachments

Last edited:

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
How much of a pain is the mag release install? I want to order one for all my CZ's.
The Anarchy release is easier to install than the factory or the DIP type. The AO model has a smaller diameter spring pocket in it. Therefore the spring locks into the release instead of falling out or wondering around. You simply push out the pivot pin, remove the spring and replace the spring into the new release. If you give the spring a little twist it will squeeze into the pocket and stay put. I always put some orange finger nail polish on cross pins that have no other means of retention.
The release shown is my first DIP type that is only .080" longer than standard. I have used silicon grease to temporarily retain it's spring during assembly just like the factory does. You wont need it with the AO release. Both releases cost about $20.00

It is likely the same but my description is for the 457 release. I don't own any prior models.

I would also suggest you get the 457 trigger lapping and spring kit as well. It comes with 9 and 3 micron film, .018",.014" springs and silicon and moly grease to do the job.

Shawn Carroll

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Kisssofdeath

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 9, 2018
South Carolina
Anybody else get the precision chassis model yet? I'd put the quality of the CZ aluminum chassis up against any of the other aftermarket ones that use the AR rear.
Did you shoot more groups that that? What were those results? That is a nice looking chassis.

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 9, 2018
South Carolina
It is likely the same but my description is for the 457 release. I don't own any prior models.

I would also suggest you get the 457 trigger lapping and spring kit as well. It comes with 9,3 micron film, .018",.014" springs and silicon and moly grease to do the job.

Shawn Carroll
I'd like to add to this. The CZ mag releases have been unchanged since the BRNO days back in the 40's, they are all the same. I know, I have these rifles and bought extended mag releases from DIP and AO.

Also the $20 kit is well worth it. I got one and took my trigger down to a ten pull average of 7.6 oz as shown on my gauge. I have pulled below 7oz before. My trigger is worth $250 IMO because it's, to be honest a perfect trigger.

IMG_20200127_223023.jpgIMG_20200209_165830.jpg

Reactions: JKW70 and littlepod

gozfast

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2020
Did you shoot more groups that that? What were those results? That is a nice looking chassis.
Didn't shoot any more groups on paper, but I set a row of spent .22 cases out at 50 yards and was picking them off pretty easy. Lots of fun and I'm really happy with my first CZ. I'll install a lighter trigger spring and bolt knob, and I put on a vertical ERGO grip that I feel helps control a bit.

Reactions: Codiekfx400

Codiekfx400

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
I am thinking about ordering a cz 457 varmint. Will the 457 varmint drop into a Boyd’s at one stock and use the factory bottom metal, mag, and magazine release? The reason I’m not just ordering the at one Oem cz offering is because I want to choose the color of the stock and I want the 20” barrel.

AirCapitalOutdoors

CZ Addict
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2020
Wichita, KS
I am thinking about ordering a cz 457 varmint. Will the 457 varmint drop into a Boyd’s at one stock and use the factory bottom metal, mag, and magazine release? The reason I’m not just ordering the at one Oem cz offering is because I want to choose the color of the stock and I want the 20” barrel.
There is no difference between the 457 ProVarmint and the 457 At-One other than the stock.

Reactions: GS1000SN

Eoddave27

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Bel Air, MD
I believe the Varmint, not Pro Varmint, comes with a 20” non threaded barrel. I think the 20” barrel was the reason he wants the Varmint. Any of the CZ457’s should drop right in to the Boyds stock as long as you buy the stock with the right barrel contour. The factory bottom metal should work as well. I would recommend the extended mag release from Anarchy Outdoors however. The factory mag release is really tiny and tough to use.

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
FYI...

If you get any 457, you will be happier if you get the AREA 419 rail and bolt knob, Anarchy Outdoors release and do a trigger job. At least if you want to have something like a 10 oz. trigger.
Lefty 222 did a nice job on the trigger sketch but he got #49 backwards. Tighten the screw reduces the sear engagement. It is not shown but #53 is also the centerline of the spring. That screw when turned in will increase trigger pull because the spring pre load will increase.
My At-One is below and the bbl. stick out is four inches from the front of the stock.
I like to shoot with my silencer so the 16" threaded bbl. suits me. I would however like a new
Boyd's in blue with all of the adjustments.
btw.... An ACE #21 or #22 trigger shoe will fit the 457 trigger blade and it feels great !!

Best of luck
Shawn

Attachments

Sc0-

E7
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2013
Houston
Discovered that MPA offers a clamp-on scope base for the CZ457. It doesn't have a built in level like the 419 but is another option.

(Personally I have 2ea 455's wearing stainless extended Murphy rails that use set screws and are also JB welded in place. )

MtnCreek

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 6, 2012
Triggers by scar base shipped fast for $35. Seems like a good base so far; I only have 11 rds through the rifle.

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
Discovered that MPA offers a clamp-on scope base for the CZ457. It doesn't have a built in level like the 419 but is another option.

(Personally I have 2ea 455's wearing stainless extended Murphy rails that use set screws and are also JB welded in place. )
Thanks for the 457 rail info. I have three of the 419 rails and the level is pretty useless except for during installation. Meaning that I cant see it while engaging the target. I personally would not use the auxiliary set screw and risk putting dimples into my receiver. It's my feeling that 4 clamp points would be more than enough. The bolt knob has a nice shape as well. It is just a little glossy in relation to the action for my taste.

I have mentioned this before but.... If I bought a DIP, scar or other rail that uses set screws driven from the top to hold the rail in place, I would put some number eight lead shot under the flat point set screws to protect my action. That is what Bob from DIP suggested to me when I was looking for a Sako Quad Range rail. Luckily, AREA 419 has a clamp on rail for that gun as well.

Shawn

Last edited:

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
RE: Anschutz
My friend Tim Y loaned me his Anschutz extended magazine release and I was able to shoot it for the first time yesterday. It is worth every dime !! The magazines drop out with no help required. I will end up shooting this gun now that the miserable factory release is gone. Since the magazines drop out, I can even use the 10 five round magazines.

I have another new 1416 with a beaver tail stock too. Now I will get a blue Boyds stock and shoot her as well. I had been thinking of selling them both mainly due to the release. As you can see, I shoot her so little that I have not even filled out my DOPE card.

They both shoot really well with a 18" bbl. They come with the 5098 trigger set to 6.3 oz. from Anschutz. Last night I found a trigger shoe on GB for her as well and is in the mail. I will let you all know how it fits and feels when it arrives.

Originally I had some trouble mounting a scope on my Annie so Bob at DIP adjusted the standard rail and made me some extended 1416 rails. (shown in the white) It has built in cant and it uses screws to attach to the receiver and not set screws. It works great !! In photo #6 you can see that with a big scope, I had to have my scope mount stance wide and had to use UTG adapters that hit the crown of the receiver and were nearly coming off. DIP now offers an extended rail as a standard product.
In photo 5 "bolt to mount clearance" you can see how close the bolt handle and scope mount is.

Thanks so much Bob !!

The mounts that I use the most are UTG PRO. Shown in photo #5. They seem to be well made and are very reasonable. The clamping screw is counter sunk so that no mounting hardware sticks out from the body of the mount. They are narrow at the rail to facilitate bolt clearance.
As you can see in photo #7 with some other rings, They would not have cleared if the mount was rotated 180*.
The UTG adapters are great for some guns like the CZ 457 because the top of the receiver has been flattened.

Regards
Shawn

Attachments

Last edited:

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 9, 2018
South Carolina
AirGunShawn,

I'm a huge fan of those UTG adapters and the UTG PRO rings. I have started buying 34mm rings and using ring reducers I found for $16. Most companies charge a stupid amount of money for 34 to 30 reducers. These fit the UTG PRO rings perfect.
reducers

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
AirGunShawn,

I'm a huge fan of those UTG adapters and the UTG PRO rings. I have started buying 34mm rings and using ring reducers I found for $16. Most companies charge a stupid amount of money for 34 to 30 reducers. These fit the UTG PRO rings perfect.
reducers
Afternoon KOD,

I feel certain that you know this because you know me, but for the members that don't...

I know your a fan of the UTG adapters and that is a large pert of why I meant to mention them in a positive light. I only wanted to point out that folks need to watch out for the receiver shape. They are the best way to go in many circumstances. The Anschutz is just one of them. That doesn't even consider the coin that you can save by using them.
Lately I have mentioned that I don't like the DIP rails but I try and explain why and even give the lead shot suggestion that Bob at DIP gave me. It is not a personal vendetta, it is only information that I want to pass on to my fellow members.

I will be looking up the ring adapters that you mentioned.

All my best
Shawn Carroll

Davin Valkri

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
What sort of sling would you all suggest for a CZ 457 Pro Varmint? I took mine shooting today for the first time (with a YoDave trigger spring and 12x42 SWFA SS Scope), and while shooting off a rest I managed at least average groups with average ammo, shooting off-hand I was hitting all over the place. I ask because I'd eventually like to take it into NRL22, and that includes at least some off-hand shooting. Do the three sling swivel studs allow for a 3-point Ching sling (which I understand is a good combo of speed and support), or is their placement no good for that?

EDIT: I know part of it will just be practicing with a rifle with a scope and heavy barrel, but I could feel myself wavering when working the bolt with my right hand, thus putting all of the weight on my left hand, so I think a sling to help support that weight would be helpful.

Last edited:

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
What sort of sling would you all suggest for a CZ 457 Pro Varmint? I took mine shooting today for the first time (with a YoDave trigger spring and 12x42 SWFA SS Scope), and while shooting off a rest I managed at least average groups with average ammo, shooting off-hand I was hitting all over the place. I ask because I'd eventually like to take it into NRL22, and that includes at least some off-hand shooting. Do the three sling swivel studs allow for a 3-point Ching sling (which I understand is a good combo of speed and support), or is their placement no good for that?

EDIT: I know part of it will just be practicing with a rifle with a scope and heavy barrel, but I could feel myself wavering when working the bolt with my right hand, thus putting all of the weight on my left hand, so I think a sling to help support that weight would be helpful.
I only want to state this for those who don't know.

In pursuit of anything ... practice is absolutely the best and most important thing you can do to be successful !! The average person tends to do what they are better at. It's natural to do what you enjoy and already fairly proficient at. If you can force yourself to practice on your weak points, you will reap much greater rewards.

Shawn

Reactions: TKY48 and JKW70

Davin Valkri

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
I only want to state this for those who don't know.

In pursuit of anything ... practice is absolutely the best and most important thing you can do to be successful !! The average person tends to do what they are better at. It's natural to do what you enjoy and already fairly proficient at. If you can force yourself to practice on your weak points, you will reap much greater rewards.

Shawn
Oh, I definitely need lots and lots of practice, for sure. But, as mentioned, the competitive shooting I'd like to do with this rifle includes sling-only courses of fire, so deciding on a good sling early would be killing two birds with one stone.

AirCapitalOutdoors

CZ Addict
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2020
Wichita, KS
The SAP sling is the fastest and easiest sling to use, IMO. Slide in your arm, pull tight, ready to go.

It has helped me tremendously, but I also sit in my living room and use snap caps to practice at targets in my backyard, using a sling. I go from a standing, kneeling or sitting position, then up to my kitchen table or bar, then back to a different unsupported position. Working on making quick transitions from supported to unsupported.

I purchased the SAP sling with the QD connections, then found some QD to sling stud adapters on Amazon. It allows me to use the sling on any rifle regardless its sling connection type.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO

I don't reccomend using a sling. The stages are run too fast to effectively use a sling. I've shot some high-power and it's amazing what you can do with a sling to establish a natural point of aim and reduce your wobble zone to within the bull or scoring ring. But without a 2 min prep and having to change positions 3 times or more you're just not going to be able to use a sling to do this. It becomes a distraction that people end up dicking with on the clock. And a false sense of npoa(natural point of aim). Either your skeletal system is going to support the rifle or the sling is going to assist your skeletal system in supporting the rifle. More often than not I see folks trying to use their slings in some sort of half arm wrap and just muscling their rifle into position. False sense of support and they're still not supporting the rifle with bone.

There are two "cheater" positions that are superior for this type of action shooting sport. They make better use of bone support and are faster to get in and out of. As far as I know they are still legal for use in NRL22. I struggled for a year or so trying to use my knowledge with sling supported positions in PRS and NRL22. 99% of the folks who shoot these sports have zero clue how to effectively shoot from a sling supported position to include the MDs that shoehorn 3 positional shooting positions with 5 position changes into a 90 or 120 sec stage. So there's no sense in really trying to learn how to use a sling for this sport, IMO. I have been way more successful not using a sling on the NRL22 stages.

You need a skosh of flexibility to use these positions. The main idea is to use your support side knee to support the rifle and your firing side shoulder to anchor it's wobble. You don't rest the rifle on your kneecap, you use your support hand to clamp the forearm of the rifle to the top of your shin and that is 90% of the support to the rifle. The buttstock is not firmly seated against the shoulder pocket. Rather it is resting on the side of the arm. This is it's second anchor point on the body and this just reduces the wobble. You're support side foot is flat on the ground for both the kneeling and seated position. The difference in the two positions is your butt is on the ground for the seated position and you're sitting on your foot and you're knee is touching the ground for the kneeling position.

FB_IMG_1582556718089.jpg

If you really want a sling, I reccomend the VTAC with it's fast and vast adjustment using the rucksack friction buckle.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't reccomend using a sling. The stages are run too fast to effectively use a sling. I've shot some high-power and it's amazing what you can do with a sling to establish a natural point of aim and reduce your wobble zone to within the bull or scoring ring. But without a 2 min prep and having to change positions 3 times or more you're just not going to be able to use a sling to do this. It becomes a distraction that people end up dicking with on the clock. And a false sense of npoa(natural point of aim). Either your skeletal system is going to support the rifle or the sling is going to assist your skeletal system in supporting the rifle. More often than not I see folks trying to use their slings in some sort of half arm wrap and just muscling their rifle into position. False sense of support and they're still not supporting the rifle with bone.

There are two "cheater" positions that are superior for this type of action shooting sport. They make better use of bone support and are faster to get in and out of. As far as I know they are still legal for use in NRL22. I struggled for a year or so trying to use my knowledge with sling supported positions in PRS and NRL22. 99% of the folks who shoot these sports have zero clue how to effectively shoot from a sling supported position to include the MDs that shoehorn 3 positional shooting positions with 5 position changes into a 90 or 120 sec stage. So there's no sense in really trying to learn how to use a sling for this sport, IMO. I have been way more successful not using a sling on the NRL22 stages.

You need a skosh of flexibility to use these positions. The main idea is to use your support side knee to support the rifle and your firing side shoulder to anchor it's wobble. You don't rest the rifle on your kneecap, you use your support hand to clamp the forearm of the rifle to the top of your shin and that is 90% of the support to the rifle. The buttstock is not firmly seated against the shoulder pocket. Rather it is resting on the side of the arm. This is it's second anchor point on the body and this just reduces the wobble. You're support side foot is flat on the ground for both the kneeling and seated position. The difference in the two positions is your butt is on the ground for the seated position and you're sitting on your foot and you're knee is touching the ground for the kneeling position.

View attachment 7257400

If you really want a sling, I reccomend the VTAC with it's fast and vast adjustment using the rucksack friction buckle.
@steve123 irt "cheater" position

Reactions: steve123

AirGunShawn

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019

View attachment 7257400

Love those Vudoo color choice's.
Shawn

Attachments

goneballistic

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
Utah
I tried to use a sling in my first match and kept timing out, that's with a hasty sling, not even using a full loop.

the guys that were killing it were not slung up, but they had pretty heavy rifles, and were very good about getting into bone on bone supported positions.

I stopped using the sling in the second match and did better. There was just too much moving around to make it very effective.

flatland1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
AirCap - Did you order that camo finish direct from Manners, or buy the stock from a vendor who had it in inventory? It's definitely a different color combo than the molded-in GAP on the stocks from CZ...

Baracuda22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2020
Just want to share mine."SORRY TO HIGHJACK THIS THREADS" sharing the first cousin of your 457.According to the records she was born in AUSTRALIA and sharing the same blood magazine of yours.Thanks

Upgrade are bolt ti/bolt ti shroud/spring trigger not yet installed/waiting for rail 25moa soon. LITHGOW 101

Attachments

Baracuda22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2020
The Lighgow looks good. How does it shoot?

*Thank you sir KOD,coming from you I really appreciate it "BIGTIME".( Hope you don't kiss me to death soon).your my idol and you have a good looking rifle as well.
*I am only a poorly low average shooter but heck and wow this aussie born really know how to shoot very well.

Also, did you all know the B-14R knob will fit the 457 bolt handle?

*This might be fit useful on her cousin too am pretty sure of that. Thank you!

MtnCreek

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 6, 2012
457 varmint in factory wood stock with factory pillars. Worth skim bedding? Thanks.

flatland1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
I would expect it to be worthwhile to bed any wood-stocked 457, but have to wonder how substantial the factory poly pillars are. I still intend to bed my 457 American, especially since I invested the time & money to fit & chamber a Shilen ratchet rifled bbl on it. Just haven't gotten fired-up enough to take the time to cut a set of aluminum pillars for it and get 'er done yet. I bought a 457 VPT w/Manners stock several months ago, and with another Shilen on it, have had very good results where accuracy is concerned. However, after bedding both my heavy comp V22s in their Manners PRS1T stocks, I felt there was a slight increase in accuracy, so it's only logical that the already accurate VPT would benefit from bedding also.

Manners' inlets on all three of these stocks was pretty darned good, so any improvement in accuracy might be mostly in my mind. It'd take someone with more time & patience than I've got to do thorough enough testing to 'prove' that there's an advantage in bedding a stock with an inlet as precise as the Manners stocks have. For me, it's a boost in my confidence in my rifles' accuracy, and since I'm not paying someone else to do the bedding job, I believe it's worth it.