Cronus Vs. XRS II

nickwalker20

Private
Mar 7, 2018
USAFA
I was wondering if anyone has compared the Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 with the new Bushnell XRS II 4.5-30 as far as turrets and glass quality. I understand both are LOW scopes but are there any differences in glass? I own 2 Cronus' and was just curious in the new Bushy.

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com
These are somewhat different designs. Bushnell does a lot of their own design on higher end scopes. They use LOW as a manufacturer. Athlon uses LOW as both a design house and a manufacturer, like many people do.

Between these two scopes, both work well and overall quality is sorta similar. I slightly prefer the Cronus at high magnification where a larger objective helps.

Reticles are in the eye of the beholder.

ILya

Aaron47pb

Private
Belligerents
Mar 22, 2014
Moscow, ID
These are somewhat different designs. Bushnell does a lot of their own design on higher end scopes. They use LOW as a manufacturer. Athlon uses LOW as both a design house and a manufacturer, like many people do.

Between these two scopes, both work well and overall quality is sorta similar. I slightly prefer the Cronus at high magnification where a larger objective helps.

Reticles are in the eye of the beholder.

ILya
Are you saying you prefer the Cronus because of the larger objective as a rule, or that you’ve spent time behind the new XRS 2 and think the Cronus outperforms it at higher magnifications?

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
Just my opinion but by this point in quality and price point I would choose by which reticle you like and if you want 25Y close focus or not. I don't buy scopes anymore with more than 25y minimum focus in case I want to shoot close and have a focused image and/or put the scope on a 22 or PCP air rifle.

There's the daylight bright illume on the Cronus too, it's a fun feature, 25y focus, it's shorter and lighter and the ZS is simple to set. I'm guessing better glass and except for the H59 I like the reticle better than the G3.

I do like the magnification lever on the XRS and locking windage.