Creedmoor barrel life

NamibHunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Scrubbed out two carbon rings in two different barrels the past week. A bit of a mission!

Tried to do it manually by rotating an oversize bronze brush soaked in Ballistol by hand, and it was way too slow, almost no progress after 10 minutes, hard baked-on carbon, then chucked the bronze brush in a drill and rotated the brush at slow speed (about 100 rpm). That took maybe 10 minutes and the chamber was shiny clean. Could not see any damage with the Teslong bore scope (which produce fairly high res pictures), but i think it is important to keep the chamber wet throughput the process.

Last edited:

deersniper

Notorious
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2007
Northeast
I’ve had good luck with wipe out and long soaking times to get rid of a carbon ring.

NamibHunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Will give it a try. Have both WipeOut and WipeOut Accelerator on hand. Presume it is ok to use them in combination.

How long do you let it soak (and is there a limit, a point where it starts to attack the metal)?

NamibHunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Shot the factory Savage barrel today post Tubb TMS (Throat Maintenance System) treatment. Those huge speed variations are all gone!!!!

FA057F81-FE71-4EEA-B863-9CB77BDD6CBF.jpeg

Barrel was deep cleaned after TMS treatment, so needed to shoot a few fooling rounds. After deleting the first 5 shots (slow, no copper in the barrel yet), i got an SD of 8.7 fps and an ES of 33 fps. Better than the 105 ES i saw before... when the barrel got retired.

Might need to adjust my load, not inside of the old node anymore... slower than before.

Groups (three shot) were 0.25” to 0.55”. Mostly me aiming poorly i think. The gun shoots!

Now how long will it go on like this, i have no idea. Will use it as a hunting rifle for head and neck shots, where 0.5” is more than good enough already. Not planning to put a lot of rounds through it.

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper