Cheap scope for out to 500 yards or so

bbowles

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2013
Missouri
His Savage Axis 308 has two piece short pic rail that came on it. Will these work or should he get a Weaver one piece or equivalent? Just trying to save him money for buying ammo etc.

maclean46

New Hide Member
Jun 2, 2018
I just received the Athlon Argos BTR, from Amazon. The turrets are very good. They listen to the consumer and make improvements. Well worth the $350. If you don't like it, send it back.

May 29, 2018
--> FOURTH CHOICE: Primary Arms, take your pick of scope, and use the ACSS reticle. I can help you here, if you find something you like.

One dog's opinion. Like belly-buttons, we all have one, and not sure what good they are.
I'm pretty damn happy with my Primary Arms HUD DMR ACSS scope on my 6.5 Grendel. I have no problem ringing steel at the Sacramento Valley gun range steel range which goes from 50 yards to 550 yards. Zero'd at a 100 yards and good through the whole range.
I recently stretched the legs on my PA 4-14x44 ACSS and I came back hating that reticle for LR work (went out to 1k). From the lack of a center crosshair to the BDC obscuring the mil dots to the lack of mil hashes for wind holds under 2 mils, it’s a one trick DMR pony (assuming the BDC works for you and your load). I regret not getting the cheaper mil dot version now. My copy also had over 5% tracking error at 10 mils and the 6 mil dials tripped me up for a while.

EDIT: I just reread the thread title and while the ACSS is fine inside of 500, I wouldn’t recommend paying the additional $50 for it.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017
Weaver K6.
A used Leupold Vari-X II or Vari-III 3-9x40 maybe.

Kind of interesting you don't feel you need a tack driver, but will be hitting a 4" wide target at 500 yards with a couple boxes of ammo for practice. Not saying you can't, just not easy. Would probly suggest starting on pictures of groundhogs at that distance before taking a shot at a living animal.

Top Bottom