Cerakote

Oct 17, 2017
At what point or time frame does Cerakote start to wear off and chip around high traffic areas? Bolt, bolt handle, etc etc.

This barreled action has 1183 rounds on it since December.

spife7980

Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
Mine chipped the first day because I was trying to go back to neck sizing and I resorted to beating on it with a hammer.

I started to get little nicks behind the ejection port right away, I guess my sharp case mouths can get spun out pretty hard.

Feb 4, 2014
Alaska
If it’s applied properly and cured fully it’s gonna take a hot minute to wear it down. My first rifle, that was cerakoted six years ago, and has had three barrel changes (over 8k rounds) and who knows how many dry fires has some signs of wear on the bolt where it touches the action during cycling and the bolt handle has a shiny spot where my hand has worn it.

Oct 17, 2017
My scope base came loose Saturday. I got around to loc titing the bolts yesterday. When I took it off I noticed he didn’t remove the base to Cerakote. He left everything together.

Attachments

Most of the time I leave the bases on customers rifles if they don't remove them.
Reason is if I try to unscrew the screws and they're loc tited in or when they tightened them they started to round out the head.
And I try to back them out and strip them then I'm responsible.
Explain that to a customer.
You're now labeled a butcher.

Aug 11, 2004
If the Cerakote is applied too thick, this can result in "chipping" . Some areas you layer thicker, however if it's on say an "edge" it will chip.

Oct 17, 2017
Most of the time I leave the bases on customers rifles if they don't remove them.
Reason is if I try to unscrew the screws and they're loc tited in or when they tightened them they started to round out the head.
And I try to back them out and strip them then I'm responsible.
Explain that to a customer.
You're now labeled a butcher.
And that makes sense but it was obvious that he removed the base and blasted it then reinstalled it before spraying.

wes1

Sergeant
Sep 10, 2009
My scope base came loose Saturday. I got around to loc titing the bolts yesterday. When I took it off I noticed he didn’t remove the base to Cerakote. He left everything together.

Who did the hex machining on the bolt?
Looks great

Top Bottom