Cadex CDX-40 SHADOW in .375 CheyTac

HK45

New Hide Member
Mar 16, 2018
About ready to pull the trigger on this rifle. Any feedback about Cadex Defense and this rifle would be much appreciated. Looking to get past my .338 Lapua at a mile and explore some ELR shooting with the .375 CheyTac. My only delima is reloading for this cartridge. Have a thread posted in the reloading forum. Any help on data and where to find components is welcome.

Mar 17, 2017
About ready to pull the trigger on this rifle. Any feedback about Cadex Defense and this rifle would be much appreciated. Looking to get past my .338 Lapua at a mile and explore some ELR shooting with the .375 CheyTac. My only delima is reloading for this cartridge. Have a thread posted in the reloading forum. Any help on data and where to find components is welcome.
Brass is the easy part.....Peterson. Bullet/powder combo depends upon the specs.

I would talk to Jon at JJ Rock and get one of the JJ Rock actions for a cadex. The repeaters are available and you can install in a cadex.
Just a thought.
Good Shooting.
Chris Schmidt

Jeffd

Online Training Member
Feb 3, 2011
I have this exact rifle Sir. Fantastic shooter. I also have several other CADEX rifles and I cannot say enough good things about them. It's only a matter of time until they become very popular!

Jun 17, 2009
Houston, TX
If it was me and my money, I would get a rifle built to my specs by a good gunsmith. Robert Vestal seems to get a lot of business from some of the top ELR shooters, I imagine there is a reason for that.

The Cadex rifles are built to function on a battle field, they are not purpose built ELR machines. If I was building a .375/.408, there are features that I would want for ELR shooting that the Cadex rifles lack.

That and I think Cadex rifles are butt ugly. They seem to spend a lot of time/machining to achieve certain aesthetics, which is no doubt built into the cost of the rifle. Call me a utilitarian, but I would prefer that money to be spent on functionality. As a Canadian, does this make me unpatriotic?

Unfortunately, in the .375/.408/.50 class of rifles, components are extremely limited compared to what we have available in smaller frame rifles. If the Cadex checks all the boxes for you, it is a decently built rifle.

*Edit - how far are you planning on shooting? Your .338 should be capable to much past a mile, especially with proper loads (some loads won't be mag length though). You can also consider rebarreling to a .30-338, which should be capable of 3,000+ yards if you really want to stretch it.

Last edited:

dinmax82

Feb 13, 2017
I looked into it and couldn't believe they don't stock any. All made to order. But they only offer 10 twist on special request, still not fast enough for heavy solids.

I went custom build for not much longer wait time.

Mar 17, 2017
A lot of good thoughts above. One observation I have is that chassis systems typically under perform vs a bedded manners/McMillan stock set up. Vibration, tracking are issues I believe paramount for accuracy and Precison for ELR. Same as for 1500 yds and under, but past 1500 yds and it is absolutely a different game plus even more important.

The twist rate and barrel lengths are not optimum for precise ELR shots. Solids are required. There is a lot of voodoo or opinions out in the interwebs; so, I am not interested in arguing other than research what works consistently well.

A custom build from a qualified GS with a proven track record is what the fast race horse would do. Takes time but the wait will be worth it.
Good Shooting
Chris Schmidt

Last edited:

TripleBull

This one goes to 11
Feb 13, 2017
One observation I have is that chassis systems typically under perform vs a bedded manners/McMillan stock set up.
I had Mile High Shooting bed my MPA chassis and went from a best 5 shot group of .5 MOA down to .3MOA, so consider that if you go with a chassis.

May 7, 2005
San Antonio, etc...
i have one. i like everything about the rifle, except the poor choice in twist rates.
While mine was in production, i asked about a faster twist and was told that they would not go faster than 11.5 twist.
Apparently, this was directed by an employee that insisted this is what the last company he worked for used.
Anyway, mine will shoot 1/2 MOA or better with 350 SMKs and up to 330 solids.
My CE 330, peterson, VV, 215M load is doing 3200fps with SDs around 5 and 1/2 MOA- However, it is going Trans sonic at around 2800yds (500ft elevation).
Chassis, Action, and Trigger rock- wrong damn twist rate. i tried to change it- But, what do i know...

i second the opinion on the JJ Rock build

justbill

New Hide Member
May 14, 2018
Reading this is a shock to me. I was going to order a CDX-40 today and the twist rate I was given as standard is 1:10", 5R groove Bartlein. They offer a special request of 1:11.5" and 6 groove Bartlein. Agreed a faster twist (8 to 9") would be better from the 32" barrels, but the 1:10" supposedly can handle 360-375 grain turned bullets. What have I missed?

Top Bottom