Cable News = No News

Strykervet

Gunny Sergeant
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
So Larry King is now calling out the 3 cable "news" networks as basically propaganda. I think he relates it more to entertainment, but it only makes sense to make propaganda entertaining. Ever seen how boring old Soviet propaganda was? Calls Fox conservative, MSNBC liberal and CNN "sorta liberal" but that none of them have real news. Mentions how everything now is "breaking news" --remember when that was a big deal? I turned cable off for these reasons. All it did was upset me.

Says King likes MSNBC but he makes some good points nonetheless and (lightly) criticizes them as well.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...o_news_anymore_its_all_trump_cnn_liberal.html

supercorndogs

Professor Dickweed
Feb 17, 2014
I would find it hard to call Fox news conservative. I only think there are few republicans that qualify as right off center. There are big spending red democrats and bigger spending blue democrats.

Arc Light

NRA Lifer/GOA Member
Aug 13, 2012
God's Country, Montana
Most of my news comes from Breitbart. They have the stories the others won't cover, including Fox. Fox is becoming more and more for those that want to find out what is going on in Hollywood. Like I give two fucks what the Kardashians are up to. Don't put that shit on the front page, that is not the kind of news I care about.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Does anyone actually watch any "TV" "Network" for actual news these days?
It would seem that by the time it has been propagandized and sensationalized correctly for the network, it is old news and the Internet moved on to something new days ago.

I haven't cared about fox or looked at their website in a serious way in years. They are little better than the other 3, just a tiny bit more to center.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Jan 22, 2014
Rhode Island
With so many sites available on the internet, the MSM has realized that no one cares at this point. When you look at the big 3, MSNBC, FOX and CNN, you have two ultra liberal and one center outlets for information. They know they have lost a lot of viewers, hence the continual rabble rousing. They pander to the extremes.

There isn't a single ounce of journalistic integrity left in MSM

May 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Mb.
Does anyone actually watch any "TV" "Network" for actual news these days?
It would seem that by the time it has been propagandized and sensationalized correctly for the network, it is old news and the Internet moved on to something new days ago.

I haven't cared about fox or looked at their website in a serious way in years. They are little better than the other 3, just a tiny bit more to center.
I shit-canned cable-tv well over a decade ago. Back in the fall of '05 actually. Any news that is worth knowing/seeing, I get from here. Ya'll lead me onto whatever is "latestly importantest". I have a local tv news website that I look at once or twice a day, just to see the latest headline that they're trying to incite panic about.

But seriously, if it's actually worth talking about, then chances are it's being talked about here. Not everything, mind you. I really don't care what color G-String certain courtroom guards are sportin' under their UNIforms. That's Too Much Information, for me.

:D

Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
I shit-canned cable-tv well over a decade ago. Any news that is worth knowing/seeing if it's actually worth talking about, then chances are it's being talked about here. Not everything, mind you. I really, truly care what color G-String a certain propane tossing courtroom guard is sportin' under his UNIform. That's the best Information, for me.

I heard he's more the commando type.

hlee

Sergeant
Jul 14, 2012
TX
Just how much of an autistic society have we become where we need entertainment from our news outlets? News is suppose to be boring and informative. Not a lame reality show for people with room temperature IQs.
You need a history lesson, son. Since before the days of woodcut relief printing, news has been sensationalized. Journalism, even before that was a word, has ALWAYS been used as propaganda. The only reason to "inform" is to control the direction of the conversation. The rise of infotainment is just a new(ish) spin on an old tactic.

Maser

Doctor Of Stuffed Animal Vivisection
May 17, 2006
Mysterious Cities of Gold
www.youtube.com
You need a history lesson, son. Since before the days of woodcut relief printing, news has been sensationalized. Journalism, even before that was a word, has ALWAYS been used as propaganda. The only reason to "inform" is to control the direction of the conversation. The rise of infotainment is just a new(ish) spin on an old tactic.
Yeah, makes sense. Obviously I wasn't around during the time, but I can't even imagine the amount of propaganda floating around during WW2.

Strykervet

Gunny Sergeant
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
I shit-canned cable-tv well over a decade ago. Back in the fall of '05 actually. Any news that is worth knowing/seeing, I get from here. Ya'll lead me onto whatever is "latestly importantest". I have a local tv news website that I look at once or twice a day, just to see the latest headline that they're trying to incite panic about.

But seriously, if it's actually worth talking about, then chances are it's being talked about here. Not everything, mind you. I really don't care what color G-String certain courtroom guards are sportin' under their UNIforms. That's Too Much Information, for me.

Dude, hear 'ya loud and clear. I'd have cut the cable off earlier if it wasn't for the fact my ex got full cable and internet for free due to her job. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $40 a month to be told what to think. I agree, I get the highlights here, these guys ain't gonna let us down.

ArmyJerry

Staff Sergeant
Nov 22, 2012
They were at least controlled by Americans, these conglomerates are controlled by foreign entities that are not friendly to us. Our oldest enemy, the ENGLISH.

You may be interested in looking up "yellow journalism". It was the precursor to what we have today. Agendas, greed, false news, propaganda. Late 1800's style.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
I don't know. I still watch Fox, and my BP still soars when they trot out their resident Libtools, contrasted by, honestly, pretty believable moderate Conservatives. Maybe the doubters are missing something since they bailed some year or years back.

IMHO, anyone with a functional BS filter can hack it with any of the MSN. For me to cut the wire would feel to me like trying on an ostrich suit. I watch, I surf and regain my composure, then I go back. It's not torture.

Greg

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 6, 2011
MA
So Larry King is now calling out the 3 cable "news" networks as basically propaganda. I think he relates it more to entertainment, but it only makes sense to make propaganda entertaining. Ever seen how boring old Soviet propaganda was? Calls Fox conservative, MSNBC liberal and CNN "sorta liberal" but that none of them have real news. Mentions how everything now is "breaking news" --remember when that was a big deal? I turned cable off for these reasons. All it did was upset me.

Says King likes MSNBC but he makes some good points nonetheless and (lightly) criticizes them as well.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...o_news_anymore_its_all_trump_cnn_liberal.html
and how does Larry view the three Mainstream Media networks?

P-Squared

Humble Servant ******
Jan 31, 2012
CRTV, there are some pretty good shows on there. It's not as convenient as cable because I have to hole up in the library, however I'm planning to install a small form factor PC in the living room and feed HDMI into the big screen. It will piss off the wife because it will mean she can't watch her Entertainment Tonight.

For me to cut the wire would feel to me like trying on an ostrich suit.
I found no TV an a little more time spent working out, vs being brain washed, is good for general health an BP issue's. Prior TV 142/91 an 2 meds a day, After TV an some work out time no meds an 115/68. Not bad for a 70yo one eyed fat man, says the Doc!
Will power, trumps felling old.

Strykervet

Gunny Sergeant
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
and how does Larry view the three Mainstream Media networks?
Well, he WAS part and parcel his whole life so calling it out on his death bed doesn't really say much. But basically he's saying they're all bullshit and just preaching to the choir.

I don't know. I still watch Fox, and my BP still soars when they trot out their resident Libtools, contrasted by, honestly, pretty believable moderate Conservatives. Maybe the doubters are missing something since they bailed some year or years back.

IMHO, anyone with a functional BS filter can hack it with any of the MSN. For me to cut the wire would feel to me like trying on an ostrich suit. I watch, I surf and regain my composure, then I go back. It's not torture.

Greg
Oh I don't feel like I'm avoiding anything, I just don't need to be bombarded with propaganda. If it was free, I probably still wouldn't watch it. What am I supposed to do with it? I know who want's to disarm me so I know how to vote. They don't talk about anything else and it's not like Hitlery or any of them will ever be held accountable, so what's the point?

When was the last time you learned anything you didn't already know or couldn't divine with the available context clues?

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Oh I don't feel like I'm avoiding anything, I just don't need to be bombarded with propaganda. If it was free, I probably still wouldn't watch it. What am I supposed to do with it? I know who want's to disarm me so I know how to vote. They don't talk about anything else and it's not like Hitlery or any of them will ever be held accountable, so what's the point?
When was the last time you learned anything you didn't already know or couldn't divine with the available context clues?
You are very correct in that.
What most people don't fully understand is that both in the "news" media, "entertainment" media and "social" media, you are dealing with people way more adept at mind shaping than you will ever be. You can tell yourself that you can watch all the propaganda you want and still be fine, but you won't be, it will wear you down ever so slowly, you will of course never agree with it, but with enough pounding eventually you will become more used to it and less motivated to fight against it & start to feel that more people believe that way than actually do.

Why swim in sewage if you don't have to.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 6, 2011
MA
You are very correct in that.
What most people don't fully understand is that both in the "news" media, "entertainment" media and "social" media, you are dealing with people way more adept at mind shaping than you will ever be. You can tell yourself that you can watch all the propaganda you want and still be fine, but you won't be, it will wear you down ever so slowly, you will of course never agree with it, but with enough pounding eventually you will become more used to it and less motivated to fight against it & start to feel that more people believe that way than actually do.

Why swim in sewage if you don't have to.

Kind of like how based on media and TV you get the ida every other person is gay not the reality well sub 10 percent.

Ask a high schooler what percent of the population is gay they will tell you over 30%.

Top Bottom