Burris XTR3!!!

8pointer

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
A quick and easy method for separating the early released XTR2 versus the revised version after the Steiner acquisition is the tungsten metal ring on the ocular bell housing.

Old models dont have it, newer ones do.
Ok looks like I have a new one. Thanks man I love mine

Last edited:
Reactions: Birddog6424

Dev L

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
Funny, you guys say I am "beating a dead horse" and "first gen issues were worked out" but the XTRII that I got and my fellow officer got were 10mil turrets with the tungsten rings on occular, indicating newest production.

My point was... preproduction units may have good glass, units sent for the initial volley of reviews to influencers may have good glass, but that does not mean production units will have the same glass. With Burris, buyer beware... don't buy sight unseen. If it looks good in person, buy it. Just dont buy assuming optical quality based on a review from someone elses scope.

I also agree the scope mechanicals were great, tracked well, and it was robust and reliable.

• Haha
Reactions: Wormydog1724

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
It took them a couple years to really iron out and start improving on the glass. A fair share of those optics were fairly decent. I had a few of them.

Again, it's old news that most people who frequent this forum are already aware of. It's been discussed many times before.

There would have been far less rebuttable if you had lead with this post versus the vitriol-laced tirade of your first post. Folks are far more likely to listen to well-reasoned feedback. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Reactions: wjm308

D_TROS

instaG= hashtagdorgan
Belligerents
Aug 19, 2010
North Denver, CO
Back on topic. Got to use the XTR 3-18 in my last 3 matches. Steel Safari (3rd) NRL Smith Ranch (10th) and this past weekend my teammate and I shot one of the better matches we've shot and took the win. Competition Dynamics puts on the best smoothest run match year after year. LOOK THEM UP. You will not be disappointed for a truly individual match. Love them.

2019 BOTC 1.jpg

Again, the FOV cant be stressed enough when looking for targets under time duress. ALso, a noticable difference from the old XTR2, the glass is really nice. For both field matches, there were several targets that were very hard to locate in shadows and in front of and in bushes that just popped out.

Its hard not to gush on this scope, esp if they hit the street well under the $2k mark. Now if they can just get them shipping to the public!!

2019 NRL SR 1.JPG

3-18 with sunshade still shorter than both my Minox and S&B

Regards,
DT

Attachments

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Congrat's on that win DT! I don't shoot comps, but the Competition Dynamics is always on my radar every year... I think I'm more excited about this scope than I am the ZCO, mostly because of price and what it appears to offer for that price. Really wish the illuminated SCR2's would release soon...

Reactions: D_TROS

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
I honestly dont think the NX8 release matters much. They are going to be sharing the market regardless of who hits the shelves first. And I seriously doubt anyone will have trouble moving the XTR3 if it's a quality optic.

Some folks will go with the one they like best. Lots of people will buy the Nightforce just because it says Nightforce on the side. The scope market has plenty of room for a good solid scope to sell well.

Reactions: Basher

McMillan

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2019
I honestly dont think the NX8 release matters much. They are going to be sharing the market regardless of who hits the shelves first. And I seriously doubt anyone will have trouble moving the XTR3 if it's a quality optic.

Some folks will go with the one they like best. Lots of people will buy the Nightforce just because it says Nightforce on the side. The scope market has plenty of room for a good solid scope to sell well.
I think initially they are going to take a big hit because of it. Talking to people in the prs community. There were quiet a few people talking about getting a xtr3 now those same people are talking about getting an nx8. They will loose the sales that they had because it's the new kid on the block

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
I think initially they are going to take a big hit because of it. Talking to people in the prs community. There were quiet a few people talking about getting a xtr3 now those same people are talking about getting an nx8. They will loose the sales that they had because it's the new kid on the block
But you aren't factoring in the people who sell the NX8's to buy the XTR III's when they do come out. :D Seriously, I just don't see the NF competing at the same level as the XTR III just because they are close to the same price point, the XTR III is a 5.5x mag range while the NX8 is an 8x mag range - there are just too many compromises to make for NF to build an 8x mag range scope and sell at the $2k price point, my guess is that many early adopters will realize these limitations soon enough. But as you mentioned, Birddog, the fact that it says NF will probably be enough to keep those scopes hot on the market even if the XTR III is better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the NX8 will be worthless, I'm just saying at its price point there are some compromises that had to be made and I think those compromises will be more than what we see in the XTR III. If I'm wrong and the NX8 turns out to punch way above its class optically then kudo's to NF, but I will reserve that judgement until they get into unbiased hands for a competent review.

For those who might be wondering "what compromises", here is just a few of what an 8x erector tends to have:
  • More finicky eyebox (less forgiving)
  • Shallow DOF
  • you have to make more parallax adjustments
Take a look at March, they've been making 8x FFP scopes for quite some time now, these scopes sell for over $3000 but still suffer from the above issues, the NX8 shares similar traits in high magnification range, 30mm tube and short body but sell for over $1000 more than the NX8, maybe NF figured out how to cut costs without compromising optical/mechanical quality, I would love that but I also have great difficulty thinking that NF has undercut their very popular ATACR line which costs quite a bit more; therefore, I think NF cut corners to get the NX8 at the current price point.

Back to the XTR III, I find it interesting that Burris is actually using a 7x erector in their design, but only using 5.5x mag range out of that, it could be to cut costs but they've also managed to provide a very impressive FOV for both the 3.3-18 and 5.5-30 and FOV matters more than magnification for me - I'll take a 6x scope that has greater FOV than a 5x almost any day. This is what DT is talking about when he mentions "the FOV cant be stressed enough when looking for targets under time duress" because if you can't see the target then you can't hit the target. Target acquisition is extremely important in our sport, and if you're competing or you're hunting then having that little bit of edge might make the difference in your timing or your ability to make the kill.

shields shtr

Private
Belligerents
Mar 4, 2017
I've been salivating over this scope for a while, it checks a lot of boxes for me. I thought I read in the first few posts that they were looking at a June delivery to dealers, but I could be wrong. I think I remember thinking the same thing about the XTRII as well. The way I remember the XTRII was they were really hard to get your hands on, then they had some type of glass issue on early models, then they became more readily available, then they came out with the XTRIII...

Would love to get my hands on one and see if it lives up to my unrealistic expectations:)

Moose

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2005
NJ
I am interested in the BurrisXTR111 but I will keep my hard earned cash in my pocket until I start seeing some hands on reviews.I hope it will be a very good scope.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Would love to get my hands on one and see if it lives up to my unrealistic expectations:)
Exactly my thoughts as well, most of the time I have unrealistic expectations with scopes, especially when I'm hoping a new release will punch way above its class and break the mold. One of the few scopes that actually met my "unrealistic expectations" was the Vortex AMG, truly an amazing scope for the price. I'm hoping the XTR III will have a similar effect, but then again, I've "hoped" about many scopes over the past few years and many scopes have let me down - again, not that they were horrible (well some were pretty bad) but they didn't live up to my expectation of what I thought they would be.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Back on topic. Got to use the XTR 3-18 in my last 3 matches. Steel Safari (3rd) NRL Smith Ranch (10th) and this past weekend my teammate and I shot one of the better matches we've shot and took the win. Competition Dynamics puts on the best smoothest run match year after year. LOOK THEM UP. You will not be disappointed for a truly individual match. Love them.

View attachment 7105623

Again, the FOV cant be stressed enough when looking for targets under time duress. ALso, a noticable difference from the old XTR2, the glass is really nice. For both field matches, there were several targets that were very hard to locate in shadows and in front of and in bushes that just popped out.

Its hard not to gush on this scope, esp if they hit the street well under the $2k mark. Now if they can just get them shipping to the public!!

View attachment 7105624

3-18 with sunshade still shorter than both my Minox and S&B

Regards,
DT
I just realized something in your pictures DT. Who makes that monster bipod in the pic with your trophy? I have not seen one with that long of leg extensions, I made some extensions for my Atlas with some oak dowels, but I'm thinking what you have is probably more sturdy. Also, the second pic of you (or your teammate?) shooting off the rock, brilliant using the tripod with a bag on top for stabilizing!

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
The only thing I havent gotten to do yet with the XTR3 is mount it on a rifle and really put some rounds downrange.

Several things I am confident of, that I have seen with my own eyes, is that the FOV is excellent. It's going to be a great feature of this scope for both competition and hunting. I'm really impressed with the eyebox, you see glass from edge to edge with very little black ring scope tube around it. And the depth of field is very good. Which should help resolving those difficult to see targets Dorgan was talking about. I think the parallax is going to be far less finicky than with the XTR2. Especially the earlier versions.

D_TROS

instaG= hashtagdorgan
Belligerents
Aug 19, 2010
North Denver, CO
Well here goes. Have a team match this weekend. My wife decided to shoot a match for the first time with a friends wife. Well friends wife tore her MCL so after a couple team juggling, I am shooting the match with my wife.

As she has never shot a match before, ever, i will be having her shoot the bolt rifle and i will be shooting the carbine (i am borrowing an AR as i ordered a JP and it hasnt arrived yet). The AR has a 4-20 on it.

Both carbine and rifle weigh in at 12 lbs so happy there as its a timed field match

Her comments were pretty funny while we were practicing. She said, “This scope is so much easier to look through than a hunting scope. I also find it easier to find targets than i expected.”

EE11F67E-37DE-4B14-93FB-95649B399432.jpeg

Fun little testimony from a complete and udder rook.

Well, wish us luck!

Regards
DT

Last edited: