Building the Perfect Reloading Room

07yzryder

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
My bench fix starts this weekend.... Started as a 200 kobalt workbench, replaced the fiberboard top with a melamine board which held up well untill a PSA upper.... I caved the melamine in trying to get the barrel off....

I plan to bolt 2x6's to the legs to reinforce the bench and stack 2 .75x24x60 inch mdf and 1 .75x24x60 melamine board all glued together. Actual bench is 45 inches wide so extending a bit over a foot (as is the press blocks my drawer) and adding a set of legs at the end as well for 6 legs total.

I should be able to park my truck on it when I'm done.

Reactions: Defender3

1clicktrick

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
skiatook
I bought a portable building 10x24 and insulated the crap out of it. Climate controlled with a large window unit/heat pump. Very cool in summer and toasty in the winter. I got the wood for the inside from an old privacy fence and metal from an old barn at my parents place. Floor from Lowes. Built a stout table and mounted my press. Still doing final touches. Its got a couch, recliner, TV with WiFi. Cool little man cave for sure!!Screenshot_2019-01-20-22-19-22.png

tnichols

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
I bought a portable building 10x24 and insulated the crap out of it. Climate controlled with a large window unit/heat pump. Very cool in summer and toasty in the winter. I got the wood for the inside from an old privacy fence and metal from an old barn at my parents place. Floor from Lowes. Built a stout table and mounted my press. Still doing final touches. Its got a couch, recliner, TV with WiFi. Cool little man cave for sure!!View attachment 7008541
Innovative and very nicely done 👍🏻

Reactions: jungle45

Herb Stoner

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Two Places at Once
Yes they are, two of them side by side, with a 3/4” 4x8 sheet of ply ripped down the center and then laid on top of each other. Then fastened to the bench from the bottom side. Very sturdy so far.
I looked at those benches too. Did you reinforce the shelf over the lights at all? I wondered if the weight of storing several boxes of bullets was an issue. I found that some things from HF can be a little flimsy - not that things aren't more fimsy in general these days...

enigmamdw

Private
Belligerents
Nov 13, 2012
My wife has always been my hero but she was especially so today. We moved her elliptical out of the gun room so I have sole possession. With coupon in hand I headed to Harbor Freight for a second Yukon workbench. Also stopped by Sam's Club for another 48" LED shop light. The second workbench is dedicated to the annealer, tumbler. storage of the drier and associated paraphernalia. The original Yukon workbench will be used for gun maintenance, cleaning etc... The reloading bench can now be used exclusively for what it was built for. A place for everything and everything in it's place. My OCD is soothed...for now...

My OCD is NOT!! Those case are not lined up or even facing the same direction, left front wheel is not in line with cabinet...shit sorry, I actually HAVE OCD!!

Reactions: 0dd

Deadman Pointers

Town Fool
Belligerents
Sep 21, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
In fact, anyone within striking distance of Phoenix is welcome to PM me for a couple elevator doors that I have left over. I have two extras at the moment... and you pay what I paid. They make excellent welding tables as well. If they go quick, I apologize.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Valkyrie1911

Private
Belligerents
Mar 27, 2011
NC
I bought a portable building 10x24 and insulated the crap out of it. Climate controlled with a large window unit/heat pump. Very cool in summer and toasty in the winter. I got the wood for the inside from an old privacy fence and metal from an old barn at my parents place. Floor from Lowes. Built a stout table and mounted my press. Still doing final touches. Its got a couch, recliner, TV with WiFi. Cool little man cave for sure!!View attachment 7008541
I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I grew up in the North and when I started reloading I had my stuff in a basement. Now that I moved back down South (was stationed down there), the wife and I just bought a house and basements aren't a thing. Right now I'm taking up one of the upstairs bedrooms, but soon enough I know I'll get kicked out. I had planned on using space in the garage or adding on a 3rd bay, but neither one is an ideal option. Purchasing an outbuilding and insulating/climate controlling it was the next best idea. How does the powder and primers fair? Any corrosion on the parts?

BadDogPSD

Better make it a double
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2010
Reno, NV
I've been dual utilizing my work bench in the garage as my reloading bench. Not ideal, but I make it work. We are getting ready to downsize, and then in 2-3 years move to a different state (MT or WY), so I'm saving all of the great ideas you guys have shared until we get settled in a few years.

1clicktrick

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
skiatook
I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I grew up in the North and when I started reloading I had my stuff in a basement. Now that I moved back down South (was stationed down there), the wife and I just bought a house and basements aren't a thing. Right now I'm taking up one of the upstairs bedrooms, but soon enough I know I'll get kicked out. I had planned on using space in the garage or adding on a 3rd bay, but neither one is an ideal option. Purchasing an outbuilding and insulating/climate controlling it was the next best idea. How does the powder and primers fair? Any corrosion on the parts?
I have had it for about three years now. No issues with corrosion. Powders and primers are still good. Realistically its no different than being in the house. The window unit/heat pump works great. The ac pulls moisture out in the summer, its shaded pretty good in the summer. The heat pump for winter works well also. Like I said its very insulated. I will get more pics up also. 703701970370227037028

Valkyrie1911

Private
Belligerents
Mar 27, 2011
NC
I have had it for about three years now. No issues with corrosion. Powders and primers are still good. Realistically its no different than being in the house. The window unit/heat pump works great. The ac pulls moisture out in the summer, its shaded pretty good in the summer. The heat pump for winter works well also. Like I said its very insulated. I will get more pics up also. View attachment 7037019View attachment 7037022View attachment 7037028
That looks great. We have just over 1.5 acres, mostly wooded. Unfortunately its all down a huge slope from the house, but I have enough room that I could probably add something just a little bit shorter than that on the garage side. Ideas are forming and its definitely cheaper than building a 3rd garage bay onto the house.

1clicktrick

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
skiatook
That looks great. We have just over 1.5 acres, mostly wooded. Unfortunately its all down a huge slope from the house, but I have enough room that I could probably add something just a little bit shorter than that on the garage side. Ideas are forming and its definitely cheaper than building a 3rd garage bay onto the house.
Its great. Inside dimensions are 10*20. There is a sandbox in front and a swing set for our kids now. I can load and hang with them. They will watch cartoons out there while I tumble and sort brass. My kids are 2 and 4, they think its the coolest place!!

CriticallyStressed

Mechanical Engi-nerd
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
ID
Getting ready to make a gun cave out of one of the spare bedrooms in the house we moved into. Definitely going to be borrowing some ideas from the fantastic setups in this thread!

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Mb.
"I know a guy" who is working on improving storage for his stuff, and he started with 'cabinet rails' that he got from IKEA. He just used them in a different way, to mount plywood panels onto the wall.

This way the panels are both held securely, 'invisibly', and removable. They can be removed so that they are adaptable/changeable as well as when the layout is finally finished, they will be covered with a "speaker cabinet fabric".

I'll see if I can get a few pictures, next time I'm there.

atomic41

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 4, 2013
"I know a guy" who is working on improving storage for his stuff, and he started with 'cabinet rails' that he got from IKEA. He just used them in a different way, to mount plywood panels onto the wall.

This way the panels are both held securely, 'invisibly', and removable. They can be removed so that they are adaptable/changeable as well as when the layout is finally finished, they will be covered with a "speaker cabinet fabric".

I'll see if I can get a few pictures, next time I'm there.
I'm very curious about what you are trying to explain. Pics would be nice.

Reactions: Airw4ves

eddie102870

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2006
alabama
man what some nice reloading rooms. i had a metal top desk and some shelves from sams club in my old shop. i tore it down and am upgrading to a bigger shop. they just showed up with the metal yesterday. have been trying to figure out what to do about a reloading section in my shop. will be 50x50 with 16 ft eaves. So ready to get all my stuff out of storage

Attachments

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Mb.
I'm very curious about what you are trying to explain. Pics would be nice.
Here's a few pics I was able to get:
Just a wall with two of the 'IKEA struts mounted'
Wall Panel with 'short pieces' of the strut attached (upside down) on the back

Panel wall hanging

More pieces to be attached to more sections of the plywood. When it's all "said-and-done" the plywood will be covered with some sort of 'speaker-cabinet fabric'. The plywood gives freedom and license to mount/locate anything anywhere, and he has a number of plans as to what he's going to do.

I don't get over there much, hence the delay in pics. He also didn't want anything to be in the pictures either. He's quite paranoid about security and whatnot, understandably.

Reactions: atomic41

sissupr

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2019
South SF - Bay Area
I finally finished my 4th bench in my reloading room which is a dedicated gun building bench. Just needs to be stained and cleared but that will have to wait till spring when I can leave the windows open.

1. Dillon XL650 bench
2. Co-Ax / Chargemaster bolt rifle bench
3. Roch Chucker depriming and brass prep bench
4. Gun building/cleaning bench

I went with Inline Fabrications Ultramount with Quick Change baseplate system. Its an amazing setup!! I have 5 baseplates with different tools mounted on each. They have a huge drop down of pre made plates for all kinds to tools, trimmers, presses, vises, etc. Waiting on a second shipment from them with my wall mounting system. Also have a nice sturdy old dinning room table as kind of a 5th bench for whatever I need it for.

You’re basement is bigger than my house in the bay, lol. Nice setup sir. I can only dream!

Reactions: Mike_in_FL

Shootingblanks

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2019
My current reloading room setup since I moved last year:

Two Dillon 650s, one set up for small primer, to load 556, 300BlkOut and 9mm. Other Dillon large primer to set up to load 45ACP, 308 and 458SOCOM. Have a Redding T7 that I load precision rounds, 30-06 and other small batch runs and test ladders with LabRadar.

Attachments

eddie102870

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2006
alabama
starting to put my new shop together, decided to have all my gear in one place so i bought a 10x20 security cage and will have two 80 wide body safes bolted down inside with a cabinet and shelf for my parts, reloading and ammo storage. started installing the cage, will set the safes in tonight and bolt them down so i can finish cabinets and cage installation.

Attachments