Bubbasmithing Part Deux: Hold Ma Beer

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2005
Winchester Virginia
I had a lot of fun with my last bubba gunsmithing adventure and this time I'm setting my sights on my Bergara HMR. The plan right now is to paint the barreled action, bed it into the stock, and then refinish the stock in a Kuiu Verde pattern.

20191129_183856.jpg

The paint I'm using for the barreled action is from Advanced Auto, it's Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic, I've seen some other guys use it on AR's and such so I thought it'd be fun to try it on a bolt gun.

20191129_184128.jpg

Unlike the last time, I'm going to bed the stock with a more traditional Marine Tex epoxy and after my experiences from last time I'm not using Plumbers Putty to block off the nooks and crannies. It took me some time to find good, or close rather, color matches for the Kuiu Verde pattern but I've settled on Rustoleum brand Ultra Matte Slate, Dark Taupe, Camo Green, and Camo Khaki. I'm going to make the stencils out of blue painters tape, a method I used once to do a multicam finish on a stock and use a cheap camo net stretched over the stock to replicate the underlying mesh pattern of the Verde camo.

Nothing too crazy really but stay tuned, the next update should be after I get the barreled action painted.

hlee

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2012
TX
I'm a bit more impatiently waiting... :oops:

You're bubba smithing the cheek rest on your rifle inspired me to do the same on a magpul x22. And, now I'm waist deem in a second. And, a polymer stocked shotgun may not be that far behind. Why is it that I have less reservation drilling holes than I do applying paint?

VSP968

Old World Asshole
Belligerents
The Duplicolor ceramic engine enamel is tough stuff- I’ve used lots of it on miscellaneous brackets and other small parts on automotive engines- it’s tougher and wears better if you can bake it in an oven after applying.

Nothing crazy hot : 125F for an hour is usually enough prior to assembly.

Make sure the parts are thoroughly degreased before painting. Acetone works or MEK if you have access.

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2005
Winchester Virginia
Does it stink? It can't stink, I went through that mess once before with Duracoat in the basement.

I was hoping to paint this past weekend but holiday shit got in the way, it's all prepped and ready. I did contour the brake a little more, will post pics of it soon.

VSP968

Old World Asshole
Belligerents
No worse than any other spray paint and nothing like Duracoat- that shit is nasty!

I suggest you bake it while your wife isn’t home.

Mine gets pissed when I use kitchen appliances “the wrong way”: baking things in the oven that aren’t food and washing stuff in the dishwasher that didn’t come from the kitchen.

Darayavaus

Professor of Antiquities
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2019
Does it stink? It can't stink, I went through that mess once before with Duracoat in the basement.

I was hoping to paint this past weekend but holiday shit got in the way, it's all prepped and ready. I did contour the brake a little more, will post pics of it soon.
remember that duracoat has hardener in it, and if you breathe it in, it's going to harden in your lungs. Considering it's not soluble inside the body, that is a problem. respirators and ventilation are absolutely required.

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2005
Winchester Virginia
The first thing I actually did to kick this project off was contour the muzzle brake. This is a cheap brake from Damage Industries that I got on sale and it's languished in my parts bin for a few years at least. It got resurrected because it looked pretty good on the HMR barrel but I was in a hurry so initially I put it on with a crush washer. In a word it was ugly, but functional.

20191011_175241.jpg

Skip ahead and I had some shims from PRI that didn't work on one barrel but they were perfect for thinner contour barrel on the HMR. Some filing and sanding later and at the end of the taper it pretty closely matches the contour of the barrel. This will mostly likely get painted to match the barrel.

1575343160125.jpeg

Reactions: waspocrew

waspocrew

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2018
Cleveland, OH
The first thing I actually did to kick this project off was contour the muzzle brake. This is a cheap brake from Damage Industries that I got on sale and it's languished in my parts bin for a few years at least. It got resurrected because it looked pretty good on the HMR barrel but I was in a hurry so initially I put it on with a crush washer. In a word it was ugly, but functional.

View attachment 7194631

Skip ahead and I had some shims from PRI that didn't work on one barrel but they were perfect for thinner contour barrel on the HMR. Some filing and sanding later and at the end of the taper it pretty closely matches the contour of the barrel. This will mostly likely get painted to match the barrel.

View attachment 7194632
Looks good so far!