++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Are both yours and your dad's TL-3s sitting in manners mini-chassis? Curious to know if they are skim bedded or not, although I would think the SAC build would be.
My TL3 is in a minichassis and my tempest is in a minichassis. The SR3 in the above picture is bedded. By whichever method SAC does

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
Does anyone here have any pictures of a DLC'd TL3 with a cerakoted barrel? Curious to know what color cerakote looks nice with the DLC.

I know graphite black is typically a good match for scopes and rings, but I saw that armor black may be a better match to the DLC?

BigHorn / ZAI Team

Aaron, Eric, Ray
Jul 24, 2017
Bennet, NE
www.bighornarms.com
Does anyone here have any pictures of a DLC'd TL3 with a cerakoted barrel? Curious to know what color cerakote looks nice with the DLC.

I know graphite black is typically a good match for scopes and rings, but I saw that armor black may be a better match to the DLC?
The best match we have seen is work done by DC Precision. He happens to help around the shop when he has time so he has a lot of time around the new DLC coating. My suggestion would be to get in touch with him to match barrel color to action color.

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
My TL3 is in a minichassis and my tempest is in a minichassis. The SR3 in the above picture is bedded. By whichever method SAC does
Thanks, that SR3 looks amazing, just like pretty much everything that comes out of SAC's shop. I'm curious to know what cerakote color is on the barrel?

The best match we have seen is work done by DC Precision. He happens to help around the shop when he has time so he has a lot of time around the new DLC coating. My suggestion would be to get in touch with him to match barrel color to action color.
Thank you for the information. I am ordering a prefit barrel and was planning to have it cerakoted by the smith who is chambering it. But I might reach out to DC Precision and pick his brain and see what he recommends.

JRodMT

New Hide Member
Feb 21, 2018
Very nice! I am dropping my TL3 into an Envy chassis as well. Any issues with fit at all? I did specify with XLR that it was for a TL3. What trigger did you go with?
Everything dropped in almost perfect. The only thing I would change is I wish they had inletted the bolt handle slot another .0125” down. It is very close if not touching when you slam the bolt down. I’m running a Huber 2-stage trigger. I love the set up, especially when shooting it off the tripod. The M-Lok forearm is a plus.

CavScout85

Online Training Member
Jan 22, 2018
WNC
Everything dropped in almost perfect. The only thing I would change is I wish they had inletted the bolt handle slot another .0125” down. It is very close if not touching when you slam the bolt down. I’m running a Huber 2-stage trigger. I love the set up, especially when shooting it off the tripod. The M-Lok forearm is a plus.

Thanks, good to know. I'll post up how mine fits. I like a two stage trigger as well and looking at the CG X-treme Mod 22.

Jun 4, 2006
Aurora, NE
I know its a TL2 but it was new from here on The Hide a couple months back.

Aaron just got it back from coating and did all of the hard work for me so I cant wait to shoot it tomorrow.

Its a sub 500 # Brighton action with a TacSport trigger and PVA barrel.

It weighs 13lbs exactly as pictured. I'm going to try and get the wife to give it a try this spring. KIMG0255.JPG

Feb 16, 2017
I’ll be picking up my tl3 action tomorrow. I have 2 barrels being made. The 6.5x47 should be here next week and the 223 issf will be a month or two behind. Got a triggertech special to go on it, and it will be sitting in a KRG Bravo, with a weaver tactical 6-30 for glass. I’ll post pics once I get it all together.

BWB

Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
SD
Coated and Uncoated TL3's set up in XLR Element chassis for the moment. 6XC, 6Dasher and 6.5PRC Proof Research barrels, Trigger Tech Diamond triggers.

The group is 7 rounds with a "called" flyer (it was me) @ 100 yards with the 6XC

2018 match rifles.jpg
TL3 6xc.jpg

spelunk

Gun Loving Redneck
Feb 19, 2010
Prosser, WA
Coated and Uncoated TL3's set up in XLR Element chassis for the moment. 6XC, 6Dasher and 6.5PRC Proof Research barrels, Trigger Tech Diamond triggers.

The group is 7 rounds with a "called" flyer (it was me) @ 100 yards with the 6XC

View attachment 6883140
That is a beautiful pair of Bighorns you got there! I love the paint on both chassis. I'm curious which action you like better, and how noticeable the effects of the DLC coating are compared to the naked action?

BWB

Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
SD
That is a beautiful pair of Bighorns you got there! I love the paint on both chassis. I'm curious which action you like better, and how noticeable the effects of the DLC coating are compared to the naked action?
I've been running both now this week and the DLC'd action seems like it's breaking in a little faster, meaning everything is smoothing out quicker but the naked action is running better and better also. Honestly the DLC is worth doing, IMO but it's also not a deal breaker for me.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Considering the dlc comes free of charge from bighorn it’s a no brainer. Dads SR3 is DLCd and despite the lower round count is starting to feel better than mine.

Oct 14, 2017
Hi Everyone! I am very new to shooting long distance so I am wondering what height scope rings I need?

I have a Bighorn Arms TL3 with a 20MOA rail. I just purchased a Nikon FX1000 6-24 Illuminated MRAD scope that I'm waiting to be delivered. My receiver is currently with my gunsmith who is altering my HS Precision alluminum bedded stock to fit the thicker recoil lug of the TL3 (the stock was originally meant for the Remington TLR) and will also have a Savage 10 FCP-SR 20 inch barrel on it.

I'd like to have the rings as low as possible with that size scope.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
Hi Everyone! I am very new to shooting long distance so I am wondering what height scope rings I need?

I have a Bighorn Arms TL3 with a 20MOA rail. I just purchased a Nikon FX1000 6-24 Illuminated MRAD scope that I'm waiting to be delivered. My receiver is currently with my gunsmith who is altering my HS Precision alluminum bedded stock to fit the thicker recoil lug of the TL3 (the stock was originally meant for the Remington TLR) and will also have a Savage 10 FCP-SR 20 inch barrel on it.

I'd like to have the rings as low as possible with that size scope.

Thanks in advance!

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/ring-height-info-how-to-measure-correctly.20706/

Apr 24, 2017
Hoover, Alabama
I have only read this thread 3 times. Finally put a deposit down for a Minute Man. Josh and Jeremy quoted late May, and I am already itching to get my hands on it. It'll be replacing a Tikka T3 in MPA Chassis that if I cant sell ill keep as a backup or hunting rifle.

Build List:
- Bighorn Arms TL3, Short Action, Right Hand, Right Ejection, DLC, 20moa rail, medium tang, AW Cut, helical diamond, standard and 223 bolt face
- American Rifle Company BarLoc shouldered version, barrels tapered for BarLoc
- Rock Creek 24” 1:8” 6.5 Creedmoor Marksman Contour, 5-8/24 Thread, Prime 130gr projectiles
- Rock Creek 24” 1:8” 223 Marksman Contour, 1/2-28 Thread, Prime 55gr and 77gr projectiles
- Timney Calvin Elite curved single stage (1lb pull weight)
- Masterpiece Arms BA Competition Edition, Rem 700 Short Action, RAT rail, Tungsten

It'll be topped off with an AMG and Spuhr mount. Plan on running the Area 419 Hellfire with ARC mags.

Wyfox

Gun Snob
May 24, 2012
Wyoming
How do you like the Proof + Barloc? I'm considering a similar setup when I get my TL3 in.
Hoping to get out next week to shoot it, work schedule has me tied up.

This is my 5th Proof carbon barrel, I've been nothing but impressed with their performance. They shoot every bit as good as my Bartlein's and they don't walk. I can shoot 20 shot's in a row and not get any fliers and then hold the barrel with bare hands.

I'll do a review of the Barloc after I get some rounds down range and do some barrel swaps. Barrel installation was a breeze. I have a 22 Creedmoor barrel for this one too that I'll be installing shortly to burn down some praire dogs and rock chucks with.

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
Bit of a loaded question but...

Is anyone running ARC rings on their TL3 with a 50mm objective scope and a M24 (or similar) barrel profile? I have a DMR2 mounted in Seekins low (0.90") rings over a Rem Varmint profile barrel, and I will be moving it to a TL3 build in the near future with a M24 barrel. I am thinking that when I put this scope over the heavier barrel, I am going to be very close to interfering with my scope caps. I am thinking ARC lows (0.94") but I am not sure.

Unless I can find a direct example to lead the way, I will probably just wait till I have the new rig in hand before selecting new rings, if needed at all. Any help is appreciated!

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I run TL3 with ARC 0.94 Low rings and a S+B scope with a 56mm objective. The scope will clear the barrel even with a Heavy Varmint contour, though I can't fit scope caps on the Heavy Varmint setup. I can run scope caps with a Heavy Palma, but haven't measured how much extra clearance I have.

With a 50mm objective you should be able to run the low rings just fine.

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
I run TL3 with ARC 0.94 Low rings and a S+B scope with a 56mm objective. The scope will clear the barrel even with a Heavy Varmint contour, though I can't fit scope caps on the Heavy Varmint setup. I can run scope caps with a Heavy Palma, but haven't measured how much extra clearance I have.

With a 50mm objective you should be able to run the low rings just fine.
Thanks you sir. I guess the question now is whether my Seekins low rings will be too close for comfort or if I will need to jump up the extra .04" that the ARC's provide. Secretly hoping for an excuse to pick up a set of the ARC rings... oh my how I long to mount a scope with 4 screws total vs the 12 on the Seekins!