++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
I know this is a show and tell thread, but if you all don't mind if I derail it real quick to ask a few questions.
I have an origin action that I've been enjoying and was thinking of upgrading next year to a TL-3. How has everyone been liking it?
Any issues in dusty conditions? Being from New Mexico it's always dry and dusty! I was looking at getting the DLC coated with 20 moa, medium tang (unless y'all suggest otherwise) aics mag cut in short action. With either a Mcmillan or Manners stock. With a triggertech diamond. Have them time the trigger with the action. Well using the proof prefit barrels. Then covert my current origin into a 223 trainer.
Anything I should be aware of ahead of time? Or anything I may have missed?
thats what i did.

have origin. ordered tl3. same spec. itll live in a manners and MPA. hoping TT 2 stage comes out before action is ready so they can time it but i doubt it

Reactions: vigildom7

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Belligerents
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I have an origin action that I've been enjoying and was thinking of upgrading next year to a TL-3. How has everyone been liking it?
Any issues in dusty conditions? Being from New Mexico it's always dry and dusty! I was looking at getting the DLC coated with 20 moa, medium tang (unless y'all suggest otherwise) aics mag cut in short action. With either a Mcmillan or Manners stock. With a triggertech diamond. Have them time the trigger with the action. Well using the proof prefit barrels. Then covert my current origin into a 223 trainer.
Anything I should be aware of ahead of time? Or anything I may have missed?
Sounds like a good plan. TL3 + trigger tech diamond have been a bulletproof combo for me. Didn't need to time the action/triggers on either of them and they run great in dusty conditions.

I shot JC Steel match last weekend and they had a helicopter stage that was shuttling shooters back and forth every two minutes. I had my rifle sitting about 30 yards away from the landing pad for at least a half hour. Got a huge amount of dust blown onto it from the chopper wash but didn't miss a beat.

scwhit

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2018
IA
Hey guys, I just got an AW magazine and when I insert it and try to close the bolt it is hitting the back of the follower and takes quit a bit of pressure to get it to close. Now if rounds are loaded in the magazine it is not a problem anymore because the follower is pushed down. I was wondering if this is on purpose or if something is wrong and there is a solution.

Thanks,

Edit: I read you can just file it down ever so slightly to get the bolt to slide over?
Double Edit: Took a file and nicked the edge and it is good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tartan

M338

Private
Belligerents
Jul 2, 2011
Australia
Hey guys, I just got an AW magazine and when I insert it and try to close the bolt it is hitting the back of the follower and takes quit a bit of pressure to get it to close. Now if rounds are loaded in the magazine it is not a problem anymore because the follower is pushed down. I was wondering if this is on purpose or if something is wrong and there is a solution.

Thanks,

Edit: I read you can just file it down ever so slightly to get the bolt to slide over?
Double Edit: Took a file and nicked the edge and it is good to go.
Let’s you know your empty.

Boogieman84

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Just Incase anyone needs a pre-fit barrel spun up fast, I’d highly recommend Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles/Bugholes. His lead time for pre fits is still 4 weeks right now.

This ones a Shouldered 26” 1:7 Twist Bartlein Heavy Palma in 22-250 AI. Still fire forming my Lapua brass, but the forming load shoots excellent. I’ve got almost 200rds down the barrel now. The 10 shot was as fast as I felt comfortable shooting, pulled three. Couldn’t be happier with his work and customer service.

Attachments

Last edited:

TA-TX

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2019
For all you Bighorn people, straightjacket armory is having a $50 off flash sale on their proof SS barrels using code barrel50.

Just got a TL3/Origin prefit in 6br in proofs custom comp contour for $525. Threaded and at 27”
Thanks for the tip! Tagging @308plinker for a future build.

Wrongtarget

Private
Belligerents
May 21, 2017
Fontana
Anyone have ever with brass not fully ejecting? I think I might have bent my ejector or something. I’ll end up with a spent case sitting on top of the next round in the magazine. No particular pattern or order in the magazine but is a pain during a stage lol.

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Belligerents
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Anyone have ever with brass not fully ejecting? I think I might have bent my ejector or something. I’ll end up with a spent case sitting on top of the next round in the magazine. No particular pattern or order in the magazine but is a pain during a stage lol.
Next time you get a chance at the range, try using the slow-mo video function on your phone to get footage of the ejection port documenting the problem. It does wonders helping diagnose issues like this.

Reactions: jafo96

BigHorn / ZAI Team

Aaron, Eric, Ray
Belligerents
Jul 24, 2017
Bennet, NE
www.bighornarms.com
Throw some grease in your extractor slot. It sounds like it's sticking a little bit. If that doesn't work, shoot us an email and we'll work something out.

Thanks - Ray

Reactions: duramaxed

bourbonbent

Redhead tamer
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
Ozarks
Anybody run a TL3 in an AX chassis? Does it fit w/o mods? Anyone have pictures? Thanks
Yes I do. No, it requires relief at the tang and bolt handle on the skins.

Relieved with a rotary tool and sanding drums carefully until a piece of paper won’t get stuck at any point from bolt body down, like relieving a barrel channel that’s contacting. Take down the high spots until they’re not there.

I don’t have a milling machine so I used files and the same rotary tool to relieve the skins where the tang is too long.

Clears bolt handle nicely when folded.

I love the combo. This chassis was purchased from Mile High back in March. Recoil lug clearance was checked and is sufficiently deep and makes 100% contact across the TL3’s lug. Great shooting gun.

earthquake

SGT of Marines
Belligerents
Jul 30, 2009
Delaware, OH
Yes I do. No, it requires relief at the tang and bolt handle on the skins.

View attachment 7086376

Relieved with a rotary tool and sanding drums carefully until a piece of paper won’t get stuck at any point from bolt body down, like relieving a barrel channel that’s contacting. Take down the high spots until they’re not there.

View attachment 7086379

I don’t have a milling machine so I used files and the same rotary tool to relieve the skins where the tang is too long.

View attachment 7086380

Clears bolt handle nicely when folded.

View attachment 7086381

I love the combo. This chassis was purchased from Mile High back in March. Recoil lug clearance was checked and is sufficiently deep and makes 100% contact across the TL3’s lug. Great shooting gun.
Thank you!

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
Anybody have pictures of the Bighorn TL3 with black nitrided bolt? A part of me is a fan of the ascetics of the NP3 and DLC combo...

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
If the aesthetics are something you're concerned about, you can polish the nitrided bolt body and it will be just fine.
@b6graham just helped to make my mind up. The black on black is every bit if not more so attractive. I was just getting ready to preorder but am hung up on tang. I imagine medium as most I see are such.

Reactions: b6graham

earthquake

SGT of Marines
Belligerents
Jul 30, 2009
Delaware, OH
I have another AX chassis / TL3 question: My chassis arrived this week and it came with a taller scope rail to clear the full length Picatinney rail running down the top of the fore-end. However, the holes in this taller rail do NOT line up with the holes in the Bighorn.

I can't use this rail now. If I stick with the standard scope rail from BH, and remove the full length Picatinney section from the chassis, my scope still makes contact with the barrel shroud.

I either need a taller scope rail, or remove the full length Picatinney section and go without, but with taller rings.

**Does anyone make a TL3 compatible tall scope rail that will work with the AX chassis forend rail?

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
I have another AX chassis / TL3 question: My chassis arrived this week and it came with a taller scope rail to clear the full length Picatinney rail running down the top of the fore-end. However, the holes in this taller rail do NOT line up with the holes in the Bighorn.

I can't use this rail now. If I stick with the standard scope rail from BH, and remove the full length Picatinney section from the chassis, my scope still makes contact with the barrel shroud.

I either need a taller scope rail, or remove the full length Picatinney section and go without, but with taller rings.

**Does anyone make a TL3 compatible tall scope rail that will work with the AX chassis forend rail?
I’m so happy I’m not the only one who’s attempting this. You will need a custom rail. Talk to Short Action Customs. Mark said he can do a rail that will give you a continuous one. Either one or two piece.

Reactions: earthquake

Scrav223

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
Finished my TL-3 6.5prc a few weeks ago. It's going to be a dual purpose rifle for precision and hunting. It's in a XLR Envy chassis, 22"sendero-Proof barrel, trigger-tech. My plan is to put this barreled action into a manners MC-5 for hunting and switch the barrel and stock for the rest of the year for precision shooting. Still trying to decide on glass🤔

Attachments

Boogieman84

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Looks like a good deal. Been leaning toward 3-18 mark 5 😬 Trying to keep it light as possible for hunting.
I’d put a very strong vote in for the Vortex Razor AMG. Very very good dual purpose optic and comes in at 28oz. Granted the 6-24x might not be ideal for short range hunting scenarios. But it’s just as good in the field as it is shooting a PRS match. It does both equally well.

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
Definitely going to wait for the Nightforce 2.5-20X50 to debut before I make any hasty decisions.
Curse of MilXT not coming out until fall. We have to wait. But well have tons of reviews

Though based on some sources and discreet comments. Itd be safe to preorder one or two now.

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
Curse of MilXT not coming out until fall. We have to wait. But well have tons of reviews

Though based on some sources and discreet comments. Itd be safe to preorder one or two now.
Can’t say I’ve ever seen Nightforce put their name on crap product. Haha

SOAPdata

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2019
St. Louis
Got my Left handed TL3 in. And I forgot to order a barrel nut. Whoops.

Criterion 6.5creedmoor 26" MTU is on in the mail.

BixnAndy tacsport pro is on order.

Still havent decided on a chassis. I dont shoot competition but I might want to.
I had an MPA chassis and liked but I am leaning in other directions for this build

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
Got my Left handed TL3 in. And I forgot to order a barrel nut. Whoops.

Criterion 6.5creedmoor 26" MTU is on in the mail.

BixnAndy tacsport pro is on order.

Still havent decided on a chassis. I dont shoot competition but I might want to.
I had an MPA chassis and liked but I am leaning in other directions for this build
Oh do tell the other direction for the build.

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
I really think I'm going to go with the MDT ACC or the KRG whiskey 3
I don’t think you’d be making a bad choice with the Whiskey 3. I find it to be more comfortable and more natural than the MPA as much as I like that chassis as well.

SOAPdata

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2019
St. Louis
I don’t think you’d be making a bad choice with the Whiskey 3. I find it to be more comfortable and more natural than the MPA as much as I like that chassis as well.
I liked my Howa in the MPA. I still havent ruled the mpa out. I have the chance to try some other peoples MDT and KRG, shot an XLR a d it was nice too. So many options now. It is great

charnicus

Padawan
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
I liked my Howa in the MPA. I still havent ruled the mpa out. I have the chance to try some other peoples MDT and KRG, shot an XLR a d it was nice too. So many options now. It is great
It is great and almost overwhelming at times! Haha

SOAPdata

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2019
St. Louis
Bear with me.... I am getting everything I need together. I have my criterion small shanked barrel and TL3. I have a Bighorn 12pt nut on the way.

Criterion in their video suggest no using a barrel vise.

How are you holding the action or barrel when you tighten up the nut? External action wrench? Internal action wrench?

I am trying to figure out if I should buy the internal wrench, or just use an action vise.

Any input. I would be thankful I think I a. Over thinking this

Boogieman84

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Bear with me.... I am getting everything I need together. I have my criterion small shanked barrel and TL3. I have a Bighorn 12pt nut on the way.

Criterion in their video suggest no using a barrel vise.

How are you holding the action or barrel when you tighten up the nut? External action wrench? Internal action wrench?

I am trying to figure out if I should buy the internal wrench, or just use an action vise.

Any input. I would be thankful I think I a. Over thinking this
For barrel nut set ups, I use the Northland Shooters Supply action Wrench/Vise as a vise to hold the action in place and spin the barrel on. An internal wrench won’t do you much good unless you have a barrel vice already.

Some guys prefer to use both an action wrench and a barrel vice to make sure headspace is perfect, since the barrel tends to move when you torque the nut down. I’m not one of those tho.

If you don’t have any tools right now and just want to buy one and keep it simple, my vote goes to an external action wrench.

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
Thank you for your reply.

I have an existing barrel wrench , but the criterion video saying dont use one threw me.

Thank you for the answers
Youre just tightening the nut to the action. Holding the barrel in a vice is only a convenience.
So long as the nut tightens to the action without the barrel spinning and you dont try to spin the action onto the barrel against the nut you wont have issue with the action/barrel relationship changing.
With a vice holding the barrel I can hold the action wrench in the same spot whiule torquing the nut down to the action. Without that holding the barrel for me its just a bit more unwieldy since Im also trying to actually hold the whole weight of things in position.

Sutherlandsd

Bears. Beets. BattleStar Galactica.
Belligerents
Apr 24, 2013
NE TN
I would never go back to barrel nuts but if I did and when I did I used rocksett on the nut and used a barrel vise and action wrench for repeatability.