Bighorn Origin Build Thread

DDRH65CM

Private
Belligerents
Jun 27, 2017
Thanks @kriller134 ! nothing special...this was a budget build. Including optics (no bipod) total build was roughly $3200.

Origin SA 308 bolt
20moa rail
TT Diamond
Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x44mm
ARC X-Low rings (0.79" - Love the low look and looks like i have about ~2.5mm-3mm of bell clearance)
M24 22" bbl
KRG Bravo with some goodies. ARCA rail, spigot, adjustable butt stock, barrier stop.
Cheek piece - neoprene 1/4" from Amazon, this was sold in 12"x12" - 4 pieces. I'm still using the 1st piece.

Total 120 factory rounds 140eldm 81500 shot 1st time out.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: kriller134

Bandit31

Semi- Professional Jenga player.
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2018
Bakersfield, Ca
.300win for the time being. Also have a 7 Saum barrel for it but don’t really have the time so I put it in the PX. I’ve had this one built since Bighorn released them and haven’t taken it out.

Compared to a Stiller Tac300 I used to have, I like the Origin LA more. I also had a Surgeon 1086 LA for a bit, and while bolt lift/ close was better I feel like the BH offers more. I have a SA Origin also (that’s now boxed up for a temporary storage) and this long action feels a lot better. I timed my short action to a TT Diamond and this long action has had nothing done to it but a few cycles and operation feels smoother.

Attachments

Joeydias3

Behind Enemy Lines
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
California
.300win for the time being. Also have a 7 Saum barrel for it but don’t really have the time so I put it in the PX. I’ve had this one built since Bighorn released them and haven’t taken it out.

Compared to a Stiller Tac300 I used to have, I like the Origin LA more. I also had a Surgeon 1086 LA for a bit, and while bolt lift/ close was better I feel like the BH offers more. I have a SA Origin also (that’s now boxed up for a temporary storage) and this long action feels a lot better. I timed my short action to a TT Diamond and this long action has had nothing done to it but a few cycles and operation feels smoother.
Awesome! Glad to hear it!

2Barrels

Private
Belligerents
Mar 7, 2017
Awesome! Glad to hear it!
I have the Origin LA Mag. Built a 6.5PRC off of it. I wanted the longer action length so as not to be hampered by COAL down the road - if needed, and given previous experience with the 6.5-284. That said, if I had to do it all over again (6.5PRC), I'd go SA with a Wyatt's cut. I'd also opt for the SR3 or a Defiance Hunter, again with the Wyatt's cut. The loading/ejection port on the Origin, IMHO, creates a loading 'challenge' when used with BDL-type bottom metal. Again, JMHO. The SR3, and certainly the Defiance Hunter, have a much more open ejection/loading port and thus afford more access for top loading. If you chose to use M5 DBM, the point is mute.

Joeydias3

Behind Enemy Lines
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
California
I have the Origin LA Mag. Built a 6.5PRC off of it. I wanted the longer action length so as not to be hampered by COAL down the road - if needed, and given previous experience with the 6.5-284. That said, if I had to do it all over again (6.5PRC), I'd go SA with a Wyatt's cut. I'd also opt for the SR3 or a Defiance Hunter, again with the Wyatt's cut. The loading/ejection port on the Origin, IMHO, creates a loading 'challenge' when used with BDL-type bottom metal. Again, JMHO. The SR3, and certainly the Defiance Hunter, have a much more open ejection/loading port and thus afford more access for top loading. If you chose to use M5 DBM, the point is mute.
Thanks for the input. Having a 300 PRC spun up to put on it. Gonna run the CIP mags, as of now.

2Barrels

Private
Belligerents
Mar 7, 2017
I have a 300PRC spun up on a Rem 700 UltraMag action with CIP length M5 DBM. Feeds flawlessly. For grins and giggles I put the CIP DBM in the 6.5PRC and tried some 300PRC rounds just to see how they'd come out of the magazine and the 'non-UltraMag' receiver. No issues what-so-ever. I beginning to think that the right M5 DBM cures most of what ails you when it comes to feeding 'wildcats.'

Joeydias3

Behind Enemy Lines
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
California
I have a 300PRC spun up on a Rem 700 UltraMag action with CIP length M5 DBM. Feeds flawlessly. For grins and giggles I put the CIP DBM in the 6.5PRC and tried some 300PRC rounds just to see how they'd come out of the magazine and the 'non-UltraMag' receiver. No issues what-so-ever. I beginning to think that the right M5 DBM cures most of what ails you when it comes to feeding 'wildcats.'
Awesome! Can’t wait to get this thing together!

Joeydias3

Behind Enemy Lines
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
California
I ended up going with 1:9 twist and 26" length. I would have liked a little bit longer, but that's the max length PVA lists on their website. Although thinking about it now, I should have asked if they can do longer.
I was gonna go with a 28”. Wanted a PVA, but I’ve been on the fence since they only list the 26”

catalyst81

Private
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Utah
I was gonna go with a 28”. Wanted a PVA, but I’ve been on the fence since they only list the 26”
I feel ya. Give them a call and see if they can do longer. I was hesitant ordering with them due to past personal experience with wait times, but decided to give them one more shot since they had the best price on shouldered prefits I could find. So far, I'm a couple weeks past the quoted time frame on the website, but I went into the purchase figuring they'd probably miss it. They said it should definitely ship end of week, so we'll see.

Reactions: Joeydias3

Joeydias3

Behind Enemy Lines
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
California
I feel ya. Give them a call and see if they can do longer. I was hesitant ordering with them due to past personal experience with wait times, but decided to give them one more shot since they had the best price on shouldered prefits I could find. So far, I'm a couple weeks past the quoted time frame on the website, but I went into the purchase figuring they'd probably miss it. They said it should definitely ship end of week, so we'll see.
I might just have to do that. Emailed southern precision rifles (bugholes) and he said it wouldn’t be a problem. About a 4 month wait though.

catalyst81

Private
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Utah
I might just have to do that. Emailed southern precision rifles (bugholes) and he said it wouldn’t be a problem. About a 4 month wait though.
That's a bit of a wait. I'm at about 9 weeks right now. I'd call before ordering though and double check the wait. PVA's black friday sale may have them busier than usual right now.

Joeydias3

Behind Enemy Lines
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
California
I
That's a bit of a wait. I'm at about 9 weeks right now. I'd call before ordering though and double check the wait. PVA's black friday sale may have them busier than usual right now.
i thought so too. Don’t have much going on Wednesday, I’ll give PVA a call

DDRH65CM

Private
Belligerents
Jun 27, 2017
Have you guys tried Straight Jacket Armory? They have good prices and the sale is still going on. Pre-Fits for $600. They use Benchmark and Proof bbls.

Also, for 300PRC, you guys should check with @DAVETOOLEY . I think he's got 1/9 Bartlein blanks.

Reactions: catalyst81

j741

Hide Member
Belligerents
Sep 10, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
May also consider X-Caliber barrels and their current deal. They won't be shouldered prefit, just a savage prefit with barrel nut, but at about $315 delivered including threading, may be worth a shot.

Keystone Accuracy i think still has their deal for 2 barrels for $800 or so.

I'm waiting on Proof Origin prefits in 6.5 PRC for my S/A and 300 PRC for my L/A origins.

Reactions: slkzic

2Barrels

Private
Belligerents
Mar 7, 2017
I'm waiting on Proof Origin prefits in 6.5 PRC for my S/A and 300 PRC for my L/A origins.
Not to hi-jack, but by chance will the Origin SA pre-fits work (i.e. headspace correctly) on the Origin LA? IIRC the TL3/SR3 use different tenon lengths on the SA and LA. Not sure about the Origin. Haven't been able to get my hands on drawing.

Bandit31

Semi- Professional Jenga player.
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2018
Bakersfield, Ca
Not to hi-jack, but by chance will the Origin SA pre-fits work (i.e. headspace correctly) on the Origin LA? IIRC the TL3/SR3 use different tenon lengths on the SA and LA. Not sure about the Origin. Haven't been able to get my hands on drawing.
If you search for the original Origin Long Action thread I recall Ray saying the tenon prints the same between the origins and LA TL3/SR3. I bought a 7 Saum Prefit to switch between my short and long action because of it.

Edit:https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/from-zai-origin-long-action.6960815/
Post #3

2Barrels

Private
Belligerents
Mar 7, 2017

DDRH65CM

Private
Belligerents
Jun 27, 2017
TL3/SR3 SHORT ACTIONS are on an island by themselves in regards to Tennon length.

All other BH actions have the same tennon length:
TL3/SR3 Long Action, Origin Long Action, Origin Short Action.

I think that's how it goes...not sure about their older models

Reactions: BigHorn / ZAI Team

stello1001

Professional Newb
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Corpus Christi TX
Damn, just went through the whole thread. All of these builds are really nice but is no one really using a lil bastard break, what's wrong with them? I see exclusively area 419 and PVA...

DDRH65CM

Private
Belligerents
Jun 27, 2017
LiL Bastard is pricey compared to the A419 and PVA. PVA looks like a smaller profile too. And my preference, PVA and A419 are more appealing to my eyes.

Genin

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2004
Bloomsburg, Pa
I just wanted to give a shout out to BigHorn Arms for how awesome their customer service is. I have been piecing together a rifle while deployed as a keep my mind occupied/come home gift for myself. I have been talking via e-mail to Ray over at Big Horn since August. He has always replied to questions promptly and with great patience, making sure I was picking the right components. I am happy to say that my wife just sent my Proof pre-fit and Trigger Tech trigger to them, so in late January, when I'm home, I'll post up pics of the finished rifle. Ray and I even discussed order time etc. so it would be done around my return. Just top notch.

I would just recommend that anyone considering buying a Big Horn product, do so with confidence because their customer service is top notch and they seem like genuinely good people a ZAI.