Bighorn extractor removal

drwood96

Samsonite! I was way off!
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
Push the pin in the middle of the extractor down and slide the extractor toward the firing pin. Be careful as the retaining pin may shoot out if you don’t keep something over it.

Reactions: savagepc.223

savagepc.223

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 16, 2011
Brownwood,tx
Push the pin in the middle of the extractor down and slide the extractor toward the firing pin. Be careful as the retaining pin may shoot out if you don’t keep something over it.
Thanks. I was trying that earlier but non of my punches are small enough so I was using a small nail. I guess I wasn’t pushing it far enough

drwood96

Samsonite! I was way off!
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
Thanks. I was trying that earlier but non of my punches are small enough so I was using a small nail. I guess I wasn’t pushing it far enough
I did the same thing. The pin is cone shape so you have to push it in a lot. I had you use a screwdriver from eyeglasses repair kit.

Twitchy

Private
Belligerents
Nov 22, 2007
St. Augustine, FL
A wire dental pick works perfectly, BUT as mentioned above, contain that thing like your life depends on it. It takes a faw days for BH to get a replacement in the mail.;)

Reactions: KZP

Tx_Aggie

Gig 'em
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2017
VA
That's the truth! I will usually put the entire bolt head and the tool I'm using into a clear plastic bag, so that everything stays contained if that little spring and plunger decide to take flight.

Xander3Zero

Just a normal dude.
Belligerents
Aug 10, 2017
Rhode Island
Take a paper, and bend it a bit so you have a straight pointy end, and the rest of the paper clip to grab/hold onto. Compress the extractor spring follower by pushing down through the hole in the extractor. I usually slide the extractor outward, away from the firing pin. You have to continue to keep the spring follower depressed while you are sliding the extractor out. Just take care not to let the spring or follower shoot across the room.

When you have disassembled it, you will see how the spring and follower keep the extractor in place while allowing it to slide back and forth slightly. It's a cool design. Re-installing the extractor is much easier than removing it, in my opinion.

Reactions: acronut

acronut

Private
Belligerents
Mar 5, 2014
FL
Thanks for asking the question and for giving the answer guys. Love this site