Best way to keep magazines from binding the bolt on Remington 700

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
What is the best way to keep pmag aics style magazines from binding the bolt on a remington 700? Any and I mean any pressure on the mag prevents the bolt from moving forward. I am guessing limiting how far the magazines can be inserted into the rifle would be the correct way to fix the problem. If jb weld or something like that is applied to the outside of the magazine feed lips then the magazines would probably only work in that particular rifle. This is why I have the bdl floorplates on my remington target rifles.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Graeboe stock and stealth m5 bottom metall from stocky’s. My old man has mesa bottom metal also in a graeboe stock. I dont think that matters anyhow as the only thing that stops upward movement of the magazines is the bottom of the rails inside the action. There is nothing inside the m5 bottom metal or any stock that I have seen that would limit magazine movement.

Last edited:

mcameron

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 17, 2011
try loosening the action screws a touch and see if you still have the binding issue....

if it goes away, bed the bottom metal in place........insert action screws.....insert a mag, and slowly tighten the action screws until it starts to bind....then back the screws off 1 turn......do this all while the epoxy is wet, then simply let it dry.

ive done this on a number of rifles that had the magwell sitting too deep.

jram

Sergeant of the Hide
Mar 27, 2018
Saginaw, TX
Is the bolt head catching on the rear of the magazine when trying to run it forward or are the feed lips making contact with the bolt body increasing friction?

I removed a slight amount of material on the feed lips because my aics pmag was causing the bolt to slightly hang up, it resolved my problem.

Dec 17, 2017
Boulder, CO
The only way is to remove a bit of material off the magazine feed lips. The AICS Magpul mags tend to stick up a bit further than other magazines (because the feed lips are thicker) and that makes them pretty sensitive to if you push up on the magazine or if you push on the front of the magazine and try to cycle the bolt.

Observe where on the feed lips the bolt is binding. Then, since it's a polymer mag, take some sandpaper and remove a little material in the spot where it's happening until it doesn't happen anymore.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
The bolt will hit the feed lips in the rear completely stopping it. Removing material from the magazines would be a no go. So much would have to be removed that the feedlips would no longer secure the cartridges. At least that what it looks like. I would think that anyone who has a remington 700 would have this problem. The m5 bottom metal does not have a stop to keep the magazine from pushing up. The latch keeps the magazine from falling out. The reciever has nothing other than the guide rails to limit magazine travel. Maybe my answer is that it is impossible to do with plastic pmags. I am not dismissing you guys that are chiming in. I appreciate your suggestions. I will build up the outside of the magazine feed lips with jb weld and grind to fit so that the bolt just rides over the feed lips with upward pressure. I will report back.

Can anyone chime in that has a remington 700 that runs metal magazines that have bent the feedlips in a way that the rifle feeds no matter what?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2010
SE Georgia
Sounds like the inlet in the stock may be cut too deep but tough to say for sure without seeing the rifle in person. You can modify the magazines to fit but it sounds like there is a problem with the stock/DBM/action fit.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Sounds like the inlet in the stock may be cut too deep but tough to say for sure without seeing the rifle in person. You can modify the magazines to fit but it sounds like there is a problem with the stock/DBM/action fit.
I have only seen a sample of two rem 700 with magazines and they both have the problem. I dont think the stocks are inletted incorrectly at all. That would cause feed issues with the magazine inserted. The magazines are oriented perfectly with the action until you push up with a pinky finger. Look at m5 bottom metal. Without it being in a rifle, you can push a magazine up from the bottom until it latches and it will keep traveling upwards. Look at a remington 700 action. A magazine without bottom metal will slide into the action until it reaches the bolt rails. Now put them together and nothing changes of course. I will take a few pics this evening.

Last edited:

gpr

Private
Feb 21, 2017
Could you simply add some small thin washers between the stock and the bottom metal to space it down. This will give you an idea how far it needs to be. Then simply bed the bottom metal, or install new pillars that height.

For anyone with a greyboe stock, I got it with the standard DBM inletting. then I used a magpul bottom metal and mag for their hunter 700 stock. I had to open up the inlet slighly around the front action screw. But it works perfect now, and feeds really well. This was on a long action though.

Jul 28, 2017
Not sure if this is your issue, but I have dealt with something possibly similar. My fix was inserting the mag on a closed bolt. For some reason, the round wouldn't always seat correctly if inserted on an open bolt, at least with a Magpul AICS mag. As long as mag went in on a closed bolt I had zero binding.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
File a chamfer on the rear of the feed lips just big enough to lead the bolt over the magazine.
I did something similar with my curtis action. I lightly filed the feed lips and it will feed even with the weight of the rifle on the magazine. I would have to have a sledge hammer to beat on the bolt with the remington.

Your inlet for the bottom metal is off. The pillars may be too short.
I could put a 1/4” spacer between the action and bottom metal and have the same problem. The bottom metal has nothing to do with how high the mag can be pushed into the action. The magazine sits perfectly And feeds perfectly as long as no outside force is acting against the mag. The bottom metal only limits downward travel of the magazine (mag catch). I will double check when I get home to make sure i am not talking out my ass though.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Not sure if this is your issue, but I have dealt with something possibly similar. My fix was inserting the mag on a closed bolt. For some reason, the round wouldn't always seat correctly if inserted on an open bolt, at least with a Magpul AICS mag. As long as mag went in on a closed bolt I had zero binding.
That isn’t the problem I am having but thanks for the input.

supercorndogs

Professor Dickweed
Feb 17, 2014
The best way to keep the magazines from binding on the bolt is to have pillars of the proper height. 1/4" is way too much. If nothing limits the up travel of your mag in your bottom metal that may be the problem. Either the magazine is too small or the mag well is too big. I have a feeling your problem is that your pillars are too short, and what McCameron told you at the top of the page would fix the problem. Some spacers on the bottom metal will tell the tale.

Jan 24, 2010
Zanesville, Ohio
I recently had a problem with feeding on my new 700 and Magpul bottom metal and mags. I thought for sure it was a problem with the mags, until I realized I had the 147 eld bullets seated out too far and they were catching under the feed ramps... This to took me entirely too long to figure out this simple problem.
Not saying this is you.

Bradu

Aug 24, 2011
IL
Is the magazine hitting the bolt if you pull down on it so it is sitting on the mag release lever? Or is it just a problem if the magazine is being pushed up towards the bolt like if it's resting on a rear bag? I'm trying to figure out for sure what is happening. If it does it sitting down against the mag release then the distance between the bottom metal and the action is incorrect.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Is the magazine hitting the bolt if you pull down on it so it is sitting on the mag release lever? Or is it just a problem if the magazine is being pushed up towards the bolt like if it's resting on a rear bag? I'm trying to figure out for sure what is happening. If it does it sitting down against the mag release then the distance between the bottom metal and the action is incorrect.
It sits perfectly find and feeds perfectly fine when the mag is hanging (sitting on the bolt catch). I have written this several times. When the magazine is pressed upward it rises too high and the bolt cannot travel forward

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
I assume this only an issue with magpul mags? The metal mags I have hit on the front of the action preventing the upward movement you mention.
This is probably true if you guys say it is. I asked that question earlier as well about metal magazines. I appreciate the Imput. That’s what I was looking for, someone with experience. Thanks guys. I may have to order a metal magazine to try out.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
The best way to keep the magazines from binding on the bolt is to have pillars of the proper height. 1/4" is way too much. If nothing limits the up travel of your mag in your bottom metal that may be the problem. Either the magazine is too small or the mag well is too big. I have a feeling your problem is that your pillars are too short, and what McCameron told you at the top of the page would fix the problem. Some spacers on the bottom metal will tell the tale.
I have seen a few different brands of bottom metal. They are all completely smooth inside. Nothing in the few bottom metal Brands i have seen stop upward movement. If you know of any let me know. The 1/4” remark I made was sarcasm. Once again, there is no stop other than the mag catch in m5 bottom metal. Some other posters said they don’t have issue with metal mags. I will try that.

supercorndogs

Professor Dickweed
Feb 17, 2014
I have seen a few different brands of bottom metal. They are all completely smooth inside. Nothing in the few bottom metal Brands i have seen stop upward movement. If you know of any let me know. The 1/4” remark I made was sarcasm. Once again, there is no stop other than the mag catch in m5 bottom metal. Some other posters said they don’t have issue with metal mags. I will try that.
I see. The feed lips on my magpul mags wont fit through the feed lips on my action. So like you said the feed lips and the front of the magazine on the bottom of the action limit up travel. Sounds like the mag.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
I see. The feed lips on my magpul mags wont fit through the feed lips on my action. So like you said the feed lips and the front of the magazine on the bottom of the action limit up travel. Sounds like the mag.
Thanks for checking for me. Magpul mags are a no go in Remington 700 rifles unless you want to modify the receiver (weld a stop underneath the bolt rails). I will buy a couple aics metal mags and will report back after that which of course should fix the problem as a few posters already said.

supercorndogs

Professor Dickweed
Feb 17, 2014
Thanks for checking for me. Magpul mags are a no go in Remington 700 rifles unless you want to modify the receiver (weld a stop underneath the bolt rails). I will buy a couple aics metal mags and will report back after that which of course should fix the problem as a few posters already said.
My magpuls run fine. I think it might be something specific to the mag you have or action. Is it possible you have a 700 receiver with an AW mag cut? That might let it run up too high. A few pictures would be really helpful. The bottom of the action, magazine, maybe an ejection port picture of the problem. Are they 308 size mags? If the mags are out of spec, I bet they would replace them. Not that I wouldn't suggest keeping some steel mags too, but I run my magpies mostly.

supercorndogs

Professor Dickweed
Feb 17, 2014
I would have to agree with Wade. There is something wrong. I would like to see what it is. I can push up on my mags and they don't protrude into the action or bind on the bolt.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
My magpuls run fine. I think it might be something specific to the mag you have or action. Is it possible you have a 700 receiver with an AW mag cut? That might let it run up too high. A few pictures would be really helpful. The bottom of the action, magazine, maybe an ejection port picture of the problem. Are they 308 size mags? If the mags are out of spec, I bet they would replace them. Not that I wouldn't suggest keeping some steel mags too, but I run my magpies mostly.
I will post pics tonight for sure. Two different rifles, 6 different mags, the same result. Is your 700 in a stock or chassis?
My magpul aics work in two different 700s in two different chassis. The obvious solution to me is to not press on the mag while trying to feed.
Easier said then done when the rifle isnt a safe queen or a range princess.

Last edited:

Namekagon

Online Training Member
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
This happened with my rifle as well.

I am with you on it not being an inlet problem, because when pushed on, the mags seat up against action bottom regardless of where the bottom metal is.

On my rifle, when I push on a metal AI mag, I feel slight resistance when cycling the bolt, but it cycles fine. With my pmag, the bolt stops completely as you observed. I haven't done it yet, but my plan was to file a ramp into the rear of the mag lips. This should prevent the bolt from being stopped completely. I assume it will still take more effort to cycle over the pmag than with the metal mag due to more surface area pushing on the bolt (wider feed lips). I'm not sure how to remedy that yet. Maybe sanding the feed lips smoother will help? It might just be that for resting on the mag, metal mags are the way to go.

supercorndogs

Professor Dickweed
Feb 17, 2014
I will post pics tonight for sure. Two different rifles, 6 different mags, the same result. Is your 700 in a stock or chassis?

Easier said then done when the rifle isnt a safe queen or a range princess.
One is bedded in an EH1 with PTG M5, one is in a greyboe with mesa M5 bottom metal, one in a manners mini chassis. All have no problem with Magpul, AI or accurate 223 or 308 mags.

Namekagon

Online Training Member
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
I would have to agree with Wade. There is something wrong. I would like to see what it is. I can push up on my mags and they don't protrude into the action or bind on the bolt.
Can you tell what surfaces prevents the mag from being pushed up that far? In mine (CDI Precision) i can push mags up though the magwell all the way to the action.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
This happened with my rifle as well.

I am with you on it not being an inlet problem, because when pushed on, the mags seat up against action bottom regardless of where the bottom metal is.

On my rifle, when I push on a metal AI mag, I feel slight resistance when cycling the bolt, but it cycles fine. With my pmag, the bolt stops completely as you observed. I haven't done it yet, but my plan was to file a ramp into the rear of the mag lips. This should prevent the bolt from being stopped completely. I assume it will still take more effort to cycle over the pmag than with the metal mag due to more surface area pushing on the bolt (wider feed lips). I'm not sure how to remedy that yet. Maybe sanding the feed lips smoother will help? It might just be that for resting on the mag, metal mags are the way to go.
I dont think that would work well. It probably would work if there is only slight pressure against the mag and you kicked started the bolt like when turning over a dirtbike.
One is bedded in an EH1 with PTG M5, one is in a greyboe with mesa M5 bottom metal, one in a manners mini chassis. All have no problem with Magpul, AI or accurate 223 or 308 mags.
Take a look tonight if you would. What keeps your magazine (magpul) from pushing up into the action. I dont see how anything could keep it from doing so. Pinky pressure is all it takes With the bolt pulled to the rear and the bolt will not move forward. My setups are just like yours.

Can you tell what surfaces prevents the mag from being pushed up that far? In mine (CDI Precision) i can push mags up though the magwell all the way to the action.
Im asking the same question. I knew this had to be common with the remington 700 action and magpul mags. I cant see how it wouldnt happen to every rifle. Pushing up on the mag causes the feedlips to protrude through the bolt rails (raceway whatever). If you file enough material off of the feed lips then there wouldnt be anything left to hold in the cartridges.

Namekagon

Online Training Member
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
Took a closer look at this problem. On mine, what happens is the top rim of the front of the AI metal mag hits the bottom of the feed ramp when pushed fully up. This is actually the only part of the top of the magazine that touches the action, which surprised me. Pressing up on the bottom of the mag causes it to hit the feed ramp, and then rotate backwards inside the magwell until the rear face of the mag touches magwell (and pushes against the mag release), which causes the mag to bind and stop moving upwards. I don't believe the top of the AI mag is touching the action anywhere, except the feed ramp. With pressure on the trigger-end of the mag bottom, bolt movement restrained somewhat. But if I apply pressure only to the front of the mag bottom without allowing it to rotate towards the trigger inside the magwell, the bolt does not bind at all. This is all with the metal mag.

With the pmag, the difference in height between the front rim of the mag (that contacts bottom of feed ramp) and the top rear of the feed lips is larger than the metal mag. The rear of the pmag lips do barely contact the action bottom when rotated rearward.

I believe there is extra material in the pmag feed lips that can be filed off the top, especially toward the rear of the lips, without hurting cartridge retention. The lips are longer, and terminate closer to the rear of the pmag than the steel AI lips. Which is part of the problem; when the mag rotates, the rear gets pushed up the highest. I'm going to give filing a try, will post results when I'm done.

Namekagon

Online Training Member
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
Update...tried filing lips on a pmag. I was able to eliminate the bolt being stopped dead by ramping the rear of the mag lips with a file. I can now support the weight of hte rifle on the mag and run the bolt without any stoppage. But there IS resistance on the bolt when I do it. Its not a ton, but its there, and I'm not really sure I can file enough off without wrecking the mag to eliminate it.

I think the problem with pmags might be that they seem to have a sloppier fit in the magwell. My AI mag is a more snug fit. This allows the pmag to be shoved further up into the magwell before it binds.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Update...tried filing lips on a pmag. I was able to eliminate the bolt being stopped dead by ramping the rear of the mag lips with a file. I can now support the weight of hte rifle on the mag and run the bolt without any stoppage. But there IS resistance on the bolt when I do it. Its not a ton, but its there, and I'm not really sure I can file enough off without wrecking the mag to eliminate it.

I think the problem with pmags might be that they seem to have a sloppier fit in the magwell. My AI mag is a more snug fit. This allows the pmag to be shoved further up into the magwell before it binds.
I appreciate the update. Resistance isn’t a big deal if the bolt is run deliberately. A stoppage sure is. Thanks again. I didn’t think it could be done and still retain the cartridges in the mag. I was wrong.

Top Bottom