best sr primers

tnbowhunter

Private
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2012
Middle Tennessee
You’ll likely get better advice than this but I would just pick one and go. I personally havent seen much of a difference from one primer to another. I just grab whatever the local store has at the time. I usually get match primers for target loads if available locally but many times they aren’t and I haven’t seen a noticeable difference switching back and forth. I suppose if a person was going for absolute best accuracy you could try a few different ones and run the loads through a chrono to see which one gives you the best es.

Codiekfx400

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
Cci 450 or Remington 7.5 would be my choice. That is a lot of powder for a small rifle primer to light so a hotter type primer would be my choice.

jeepwilson

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2011
Western NC
The Remington 7.5 are definitely tougher. I had trouble in my bench gun (6BRX) blowing a hole through the primer where the firing pin goes through the bolt face. I tried multiple primers and once I went to the Remington 7.5 it has never happened again.

Pittbull46

Private
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2009
PA
Thanks for the help going to try 450 with the Peterson Brass how much less powder would I need

Supersubes

Snafu
Belligerents
Sep 6, 2006
Rural Nevada
Thanks for the help going to try 450 with the Peterson Brass how much less powder would I need

Cci 450’s (and br-4) have the same amount of priming mixture in them as a cci 400. Only thing that makes them “magnum”is the thicker cup to withstand pressure. No change in the load is needed. The 450 and br-4 are identical by the way. Don’t waste money on the br-4.

Reactions: TBagAMouseTrap

TBagAMouseTrap

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2017
Hooversville, PA.
Cci 450’s (and br-4) have the same amount of priming mixture in them as a cci 400. Only thing that makes them “magnum”is the thicker cup to withstand pressure. No change in the load is needed. The 450 and br-4 are identical by the way. Don’t waste money on the br-4.
I read an article a few years back that said the BR-2 and the 200s were the same primer. The BR-2 was just the ones produced when the more experienced work crew was on the clock. Thanks for this info on 450/BR-4.

Forward543

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Get your powder charge, then adjust length for accuracy. Then run a test on as many primers as you would like in 5 shot groups over a chrono. Every load seems to have a primer preference. I have good luck with cci primers. But have also found rounds that like winchester or federals. I think you can lower sd and es with a primer test.