Best single malt scotch

whatsupdoc

Duck season
Dec 12, 2017
Long Island NY
The current Pappy and Weller is the same distillate, difference is where it is aged and pappy is choice barrels.
Years ago they could not sell Pappy and the Pappy of today is NO way near the older product.
What you have to realize is Pappy Van Winkle, W L Weller, is a brand and whoever owns it either makes it or buys the bourbon.
At one time Pappy made their own distillate now buffalo trace makes it for them.
Pappy became famous on bourbon they did not make.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
As above, I tried many blended Scotches, I could manage my Brother's Cutty, but I finally settled on Bourbon as my sippin' whiskey.

Not a sophisticated sipper, mind you; I prefer Jim Beam Black.

If I could afford sophisticated, I'd have a few more rifles, too. Single malts are way out of mt\y range.

Greg

jabels

Sergeant
Jan 14, 2011
Arlington, TX
I've tried my fair share of single malt Scotch, the objectively best I've ever had was Macallan 25 year, but it's $1500 a bottle or so. My favorite all around is probably Lagavulin 16 followed by Laphroaig Quarter Cask. For the lighter stuff, I like either Glenfiddich or Glenlivet 12 or 15 year versions or Dalmore 12 or 15.

Sharpshooter3

New Hide Member
Feb 10, 2018
Tried out some Dalmore 12y a couple weekends ago and I would give it a thumbs up. Also pick up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 to try, my buddy loved it but I wasn't crazy about it. Wasn't bad just had a different taste, I assume that is the peat that guys talk about.

Fig

Janitor of the Hide
Mar 15, 2018
The Most Dangerous City in the USA
I’m a bourbon guy, period.

A friend of mine is close friends with some Euro Royals. Every year they do a scotch tour of the best highlands distilleries. He’s an aficionado.
He was over for dinner and my wife asked the guy at the liquor store what she should get for someone who drinks the top craft stuff. I figured it was going to be some $200+ bottle. Nope:
https://www.auchentoshan.com
He knew what it was and said it was fantastic Scotch.

Jan 9, 2011
OKC
I’m a bourbon guy, period.

A friend of mine is close friends with some Euro Royals. Every year they do a scotch tour of the best highlands distilleries. He’s an aficionado.
He was over for dinner and my wife asked the guy at the liquor store what she should get for someone who drinks the top craft stuff. I figured it was going to be some $200+ bottle. Nope:
https://www.auchentoshan.com
He knew what it was and said it was fantastic Scotch.
Bourbon here too but branching out. Which Auchentoshan did you try?

NukeMMC

Damn Bubblehead
Mar 3, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Aberlour A'bunadh with Talisker Storm a close 2nd.
Finally! Went thru this list, having been raised since a wee bairn on single malts from "ordinary" Glenlivet to Johnny Walker to Glenfiddich. I have found the A'bunadh to be my current favorite with Balvenie Double wood following close behind. I prefer a bit less of a peaty jigger. The Aberlour is a bit headire at 60.8%, so I splash it lightly (just enough to scare it) or sip it with a crust of bread, but it warms soooo nicely on the way down.

flyer

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 25, 2018
To me, scotches don’t slap you in the face with flavor like bourbons do, they’re more subtle.
To me, that slap is good, I take tiny sips with a water chaser and nurse a glass for quite a while, with flavor all the way through.

I do the same with cask aged Tequilas, mostly 3+ year anejos. Find the right one and you'll get the most incredible drunk you can imagine.

I never got in to single malts, they can make anejos look cheap and I'm bad with names.