Ballistic Advantage barrels?

Feb 4, 2011
I’m looking at either the 18” 1:7” SPR or the 20” 1:8” DMR.
Can anybody comment regarding accuracy of these barrels?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Dont fool with them right now. They are having tons of issues. Muzzle threading so bad that nothing will screw on, and bad chamber problems. Last weekend my friend brought his new barrel (.556) out to the house to shoot. The brass was scored badly. He had one case rupture. If you want to see pictures of the chamber message me your phone number or email. There are many threads on these problems right now on other forums. Ballistic advantage has not responded to him yet since his sunday email and cant get anyone on the phone. Lucky for him the place where he bought it from is refunding him plus his shipping costs.

Feb 4, 2011
Hmm. Not what I wanted to hear but thank you for your response! Most everything I could find online was older info or 3 gun type stuff related to the “Hanson” profile.

Still interested to hear others opinions.

Feb 13, 2017
Havent heard of these newer issues, it would be a shame if they were widespread. I've got several of their barrels and they have been fantastic. Great accuracy and good quality irregardless of the price.

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
This is news to me as well, I have several BA barrels as do others I know and no issues.

I had a BA 18" SPR 223 Wylde barrel and it was one of the most accurate and consistent MSR barrels I've ever owned, couldn't believe a sub $150 barrel sot like it did. I sold it because I have OCD issues with stuff not being used sitting around and I still regret getting rid of it.

I would have went with them for a Valkyrie barrel but unfortunately they weren't offering the twist or length I was wanting.

Feb 4, 2011
I may end up rolling the dice on one and see how it goes. I can get a really good deal on these is why I picked them to start with.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX

Here is the pick. Brand new barrel purchased a couple weeks ago (.223 wylde). This is a widespread problem at this point unfortunately. Same for the threading problem. Maybe its wore out equipment. The brass was trashed coming out of this barrel. One completely tore apart about a half inch above the rim. Every other piece of fired brass had the same cuts in them except they happened to hold together. I do not have a picture of the brass but if my buddy gets a pic to me then I will send that as well. Like I said earlier BA hasn't responded back to him yet. Order from a reputable dealer that will take care of you if you get a bad one because BA is hard to get ahold to.

He has an 18" heavier fluted barrel from them he purchased about a year ago and it shoots great.

Last edited:

flyer

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 25, 2018
In 6.5 Creedmoor, some seem to do pretty well but most BA barrels seem to be MOA shooters which is ok but you can do better.

Instead of trying to see if you get a good one, I think people should buy a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel with a better and more consistent reputation for accuracy.

I can't say much about other calibers but I like Aero Precision receivers a lot, I just can't get behind their barrels.

RFutch

Sergeant
Sep 28, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I bought a 16" fluted Stainless barrel back in March and it is a shooter. No issues at all. Just took it to 500 yesterday and I'm still very pleased with it.

Mar 11, 2009
I have an 18" in 6.5 creedmore that is a tack driver, just a little on the heavy side for me and am selling it with the slr adj gas block and gas tube if your interested pm me.

mi223

Feb 14, 2017

Here is the pick. Brand new barrel purchased a couple weeks ago (.223 wylde). This is a widespread problem at this point unfortunately. Same for the threading problem. Maybe its wore out equipment. The brass was trashed coming out of this barrel. One completely tore apart about a half inch above the rim. Every other piece of fired brass had the same cuts in them except they happened to hold together. I do not have a picture of the brass but if my buddy gets a pic to me then I will send that as well. Like I said earlier BA hasn't responded back to him yet. Order from a reputable dealer that will take care of you if you get a bad one because BA is hard to get ahold to.

He has an 18" heavier fluted barrel from them he purchased about a year ago and it shoots great.

Define wide spread problem... this is news to many of us including myself. My hansen profile shoots great. I am not saying that you didn't get a lemon but i have heard very few bad reviews.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
Define wide spread problem... this is news to many of us including myself. My hansen profile shoots great. I am not saying that you didn't get a lemon but i have heard very few bad reviews.
Wide spread is probably an over statement, but this is definately not a one off. Apparently BA has been having quality control problems as of late. I am not an AR guy by any means. My shooting buddy definately is and is a member of ar15.com and told me about the problems people have been having as of late. I mentioned these in a previous post. Like I said earlier, he has a fluted 18” barrel from them that he likes. I am just passing on information to the OP. I seen this lemon barrel first hand. It is completely unsafe to shoot. And i am also letting OP know that they havent been quick to get back to him. The vendor has taken care of him though. I have no skin in the game.

Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
BA got back to my friend on Friday. They were willing to take the barrel back and take care of him. He let them know the vendor he purchased it from solved his problem. If you decide to go with them it seems like little risk.

Sep 30, 2014
Purchase an 18" fluted 308 barrel two weeks ago. Fit and finish very good. Functions flawlessly but only have 45 rounds through it. The feed ramps are really sharp. That's my only complaint so far. Probably won't be able to comment on accuracy until a few more outings. It's an open sight AR10 build so probably will not have a scope on it for a very long time.

riot1013

New Hide Member
Feb 28, 2018
I have a 20" 6.5 CM barrel from them that shoots .3 MOA. I also have a 8" 300 BO barrel that shoots under 1 MOA. For the price I don't believe there is a better barrel available today.

Top Bottom