AW/AE/AICS mag diffrences

ROLEXrifleman

Snipers Hide Original
Dec 23, 2004
INDIANA
This should be the last post about the diffrences between AI mags.

1st is a full view of .308 and .338 rifles. Take note at the diffrence in thickness in the mag well area:

Close up of the .308's:

Close up of the .338's:

In each of the following mags there are 3 rounds loaded. These are the .308 mags. The AE and AICS mags are 5 rounders to be fair and the AW mag is the only one offered, a 10 rounder.
As stated in a previous thread, the AW is a stagered mag that feeds from both sides. The AICS mag is in fact staggered, not much, and feeds from the center. And finaly the AE mag, the only true single stack in the .308 family.:

Some close ups. AW, AICS, AE:

Some around the world shots to show the diffrence in length and width. Remeber, the AICS and AE mags hold 5, the AW is 10. Also note, the AW mag is the only one welded.

Hope this clears the air

Whiskey 2-1

Team Waffleiron
Aug 9, 2004
New Orleans
Re: AW/AE/AICS mag diffrences

Nicely done (though I'm sure it wont put an end to the question)

Must be nice to have that kind of camera fodder around the house....

d-a

Private
Feb 27, 2007
Ga

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the AW mag is the only one welded. </div></div>

They all are welded just not the bottom plate.

d-a

ROLEXrifleman

Snipers Hide Original
Dec 23, 2004
INDIANA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d-a</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the AW mag is the only one welded. </div></div>

They all are welded just not the bottom plate.

d-a </div></div>

dc45

Sergeant
Mar 19, 2007
Idaho

I really hate to show my ass here, but what does AW, AICS & AE stand for? I would really like to know before I order the wrong mags...

I have been bumbling along thinking Accuracy International and Badger DBM's were the same.

Thanks,

DC

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Apr 12, 2001
Base of the Rockies
www.snipershide.com

AW = Arctic Warfare
AE = Accuracy Enforcement
AICS = Accuracy International Chassis System

Which the Badger DM uses AICS Magazines, Badger makes the bottom metal, Accuracy International makes the magazines.

ChrisF

Sergeant
Jul 20, 2002
New Zealand

Also , both the AW 308 & the AICS 308 , actually appear to have the same external size . as the AW mag fits in my AICS stock .

I had thought of tiring to get a Surgeon SA to run AW mags at one stage , not sure it would work out ?

Later Chris

Oct 25, 2007
Aberdeen, NC

Hey guys I am going nuts here... I saw a post the other day where someone modified a mag so they were fitting flush in the magwell... but now I can't seem to be able to find that... can anyone send me a like to that post or if they know who it was that did that, let me know... I think he was using AICS mags, but I don't recall.

Oct 3, 2007
NY, USA

Just reading through this - does anyone know for sure if the AW 308 magazine will fit in the AICS magwell and feed reliably? I know the width and height are close but is the latch feature the same height from the top of the mag the same on both? If so, I'll be looking to purchase a few AW mags for use in my AICS.

Mar 10, 2005
Denver, CO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just reading through this - does anyone know for sure if the AW 308 magazine will fit in the AICS magwell and feed reliably? I know the width and height are close but is the latch feature the same height from the top of the mag the same on both? If so, I'll be looking to purchase a few AW mags for use in my AICS. </div></div>

Nope, AW receiver has a dual feed ramp...

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Apr 12, 2001
Base of the Rockies
www.snipershide.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just reading through this - does anyone know for sure if the AW 308 magazine will fit in the AICS magwell and feed reliably? I know the width and height are close but is the latch feature the same height from the top of the mag the same on both? If so, I'll be looking to purchase a few AW mags for use in my AICS.</div></div>

No, won't work...

ROLEXrifleman

Snipers Hide Original
Dec 23, 2004
INDIANA

your forgetting one is set up for center feeding from a single position he other is staggered from two positions. Even though the overall size is similar the feed lips and feeding set ups are worlds apart.

NO WONT WORK

Oct 3, 2007
NY, USA

Yeah, figures... Nothing is ever that easy - other wise their wouldn't be such a high demand for the higher prices AICS mags. Thanks all for the quick answers and bursting my bubble...LOL

Mar 10, 2005
Denver, CO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the review, but Im confused as to the advantages and disadvantages of each. For a .308 which is best? </div></div>

Depends entirely on what you have or are getting. I personally like the 10 round AW setup the best as the mag is no longer than the 5 round AE mag. But I you are building a Remington based build you don't have that option... Personal preference is what it comes down to.

Adam

Smokin

Sergeant
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas

Im building a .308 with a Surgeon action. Since that is more or less a "Remington based build" I guess the AW is out? What would it work with?

Fitz

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2004
Long Beach, CA

another ignorant question but has anyone tried to modify an AE to use AW mags? Looks to me like there is plenty of machining room in that AE magwell. I am sure there is more than meets the eye or someone on this site would have done this by now.

Mar 10, 2005
Denver, CO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another ignorant question but has anyone tried to modify an AE to use AW mags? Looks to me like there is plenty of machining room in that AE magwell. I am sure there is more than meets the eye or someone on this site would have done this by now. </div></div>

The AW has dual feed ramps too so it would require machining new feed ramps into the receiver as well as the stock area...

Mar 10, 2005
Denver, CO

Not impossible, but I would suspect there would be a bit of welding and machining just to the receiver and I would never do that to mine... Somebody posted pictures of the different feed ramps a while back and it was deemed too much of a headache for 5 extra rounds.

Mar 10, 2007
Townsville, Australia

Will be getting my action machined next week to feed from AW 10rd mags. Action is a rem 700 SPS with a BO M5 fitted, will have the feed ramp scallopped wider to allow for the stagger feed and the feed rails in the action machine out to allow for the mag lips to fit. Il post pics when it's done.

JJ

Dec 6, 2005
Tupelo, MS

There appears to be more room for length in the AE. What bullet do you have in there, and how long could you have loaded it if you wanted to?

Mar 10, 2005
Denver, CO

I would like to see pics of an AE mag in the place of an AICS mag, it is too long to fit in the hole and way more narrow... If it does fit it would be a sloppy fit to say the least...

Mar 10, 2007
Townsville, Australia

Ok here are some pics of my SPS Tac 308 action after i had it milled by my local smith IOT fit AI AW 10rd mags. The DBM is a BO M5.

The feed rails were milled down to allow the mag lips to up inside the action, and the feed ramp was widened IOT allow ease of feeding from the double stack mag.

Some minor widening was required around forward corners of the mag well/box.

This allows me to use both AICS mags and also the AW mags, which i prefered due to its lower profile when fitted, compared to the AICS 10rd.

Thanks go to Glen seekins and George at GAP for there advice and guidance, and a big thanks to my local smith Charlie for his dedication and hard work on this rifle.

Cheers,

JJ

Dec 6, 2005
Tupelo, MS

Excellent job!

Since this is supposed to be the "AW/AE/AICS mag difference" thread, it would be good to know if there are any differences in cartridge OAL possibilities between the three magazines. Reloaders using certain types of bullets would be interested in knowing which mag system better fit their desired bullets. I would do it for you if I had all three mags, but I don't.

nrode

Private
Jun 4, 2006
Fredericksburg, TX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent job!

Since this is supposed to be the "AW/AE/AICS mag difference" thread, it would be good to know if there are any differences in cartridge OAL possibilities between the three magazines. Reloaders using certain types of bullets would be interested in knowing which mag system better fit their desired bullets. I would do it for you if I had all three mags, but I don't. </div></div>

I am really confused by some of the post here. The AW and AE are factory built rifle systems based on a specific criteria for each. Are you saying you would base you rifle purchase solely on the length bullet you can load despite the significant price difference of each. You are looking at a $2500+ Rem style AICS gun vs. a $3500+ AE vs. a $5500+ AW as if they are all identical options. What I am missing in your logic here?