Athlon Ares ETR

skinnj1

Sergeant
Mar 12, 2008
midwest
Calpatriot- as indicated by others your problem is the zero stop. Unscrew the turret cap and you will see a brass disc with three tiny set screws - this is your zero stop. Loosen screws and move brass disc further up turret and you will find your "missing" mils......

CalPatriot

New Hide Member
Jul 13, 2018
Calpatriot- as indicated by others your problem is the zero stop. Unscrew the turret cap and you will see a brass disc with three tiny set screws - this is your zero stop. Loosen screws and move brass disc further up turret and you will find your "missing" mils......
Ah, thanks; figured it's gotta be related to that...

Cheers,

Sieg

Sergeant of the Hide
Jun 14, 2018
Per my ETR Sunshade inquiry:

We will have both the brown and black sunshades (SKU# 212100S Black and SKU# 212100SB Brown) They are currently still in production and have not released yet.

kabarNC

Learning..
Feb 11, 2017
State line of the Carolinas
Ok, my ETR showed up yesterday. So far, its everything I've been waiting for. Going on a hunting trip in Idaho tomorrow, but will mess with it next week.
A friendly word of advice, Doug at Cameraland is a stand up guy. When ordering from them, go thru him, and HIM ONLY.

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
Southeastern, Pennsylvania
I shot my Ares ETR for the first time yesterday on my 22" 6.5cm gasser at 100yds. Put 50rds through it and I was very happy with it. Glass was very clear and I LOVE the reticle. Looking forward to stretching it out in the next few weeks.

Sieg

Sergeant of the Hide
Jun 14, 2018
ETR in MOA arrived today and I got it mounted this evening using Warne M222 34mm High rings, hopefully I'll get out this weekend and see how it performs. Initial impression is the eye box is generous compared to the SIG Tango 4 6-24 I was running, the glass is respectably crisp in the 4.5-25 range though appeared to haze slightly at 30x, the MOA reticle with a + vs dot looks good on a squirrels ass, parallax focus is sensitive, reticle illumination adjustments with off positions separating each power level is nice, it's heavy compared to the SIG Tango 4 though .5 - .75" shorter, turret clicks are crisps and positive, reticle focus ring is nice and firm as is the zoom. Overall the initial impression was very good. If it tracks within reason it's definitely a winner.

The reticle focus range appears generous as I'm using 2.75-3.00 readers and still had adjustment left.

Aug 4, 2009
Colorado
I got mine on Tuesday in Brown and mounted it today. I too noticed it was really hazy when cranked up to 30x. I thought it was the focus so I checked it at low power and it was nice and clear. I also played with the parallax and that didn't make it better. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow morning so we'll see how she does.

Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
Neither one of the two I've received so far (1 black out of 2nd shipment, 1 brown out of initial shipment) had any noticeable issues when set to 30x. Nor do any of the Cronus scopes I've had (early & late pre-BTR & BTR) when set to 29x. Even though I seldom shoot with either of these scopes set to max magnification, I wouldn't like seeing any degradation of the image quality when they are set to max. If you're still seeing a 'really hazy' image at 30x while on the range tomorrow, you need to call Athlon's customer service, because it's not normal.

Mar 12, 2008
midwest
I Agree with Dennis, what you described has not been my experience from either of my etr's. The only "haze" I get on 30x is mirage off my suppressor after getting it hot without a cover...

Call Athlon and talk with them...

Sieg

Sergeant of the Hide
Jun 14, 2018
Went to the range to bore sight and get familiar with my ETR MOA on my Vudoo .22lr today. I had zero complaints/concerns/nit-picks with the scope.

My slightly hazy at 30X comment earlier was not an issue at the range. I'll write that condition off to a not quite perpendicular setting sun condition. Turrets are crisp and positive on as are the focus and zoom controls. The + aiming point on the MOA scope appears to work well for my rimfire applications. Parallax focus is very fine and tight. The eye box is as generous as any scope I've owned. My old eyes experienced less fatigue than any other scope I own while try to shoot bug holes at 50 yds today, that fact alone makes it a win.

For a first get familiar session of 120 rounds I'm more than satisfied with the scope's performance. (y)

Last edited:

S3th

New Hide Member
Oct 14, 2018
I am thinking about picking up the ARES ETR for my 6BR PRS build. Reading through the comments here I haven't see too many issues. Has anyone had to send theirs back due to poor QC issues? I am really debating the GEN 2 PST or a Used Razor 2 but this ARES ETR fits in perfect between the two and has an optimal zoom range.

Feb 15, 2017
WYOMING
I am thinking about picking up the ARES ETR for my 6BR PRS build. Reading through the comments here I haven't see too many issues. Has anyone had to send theirs back due to poor QC issues? I am really debating the GEN 2 PST or a Used Razor 2 but this ARES ETR fits in perfect between the two and has an optimal zoom range.
What reticle do you like better? I would factor that in quite a bit to my decision if I was in the same shoes as you are. I personally like the floating dot and .2 hashes on the horizontal better than the open center on the EBR-2C and half mil hashes. My ETR has been spot on so far for a few PRS matches, rimfire matches, and hunting.

S3th

New Hide Member
Oct 14, 2018
What reticle do you like better? I would factor that in quite a bit to my decision if I was in the same shoes as you are. I personally like the floating dot and .2 hashes on the horizontal better than the open center on the EBR-2C and half mil hashes. My ETR has been spot on so far for a few PRS matches, rimfire matches, and hunting.
In a simple comparison I tend to prefer the ARES ETR reticle. Glad to hear that it has been performing well for you!

Feb 15, 2017
WYOMING
I first thought the dot was too small. I couldn't find it at lower magnification. However, the more I have used it, especially for competition, I am quickly finding I pick up the dot easily and use it for a finer aiming point. My eye focuses faster now to that point. I am really starting to like it. I only wish the reticle had .2 hashes on the vertical also. Pretty minor complaint though.

Dec 17, 2017
Boulder, CO
Got a chance to test out my Ares ETR at a match this last Saturday. I'll echo what the others said in that the fine dot was definitely a nice to have, and the scope tracked just fine. Optical clarity was good and I didn't notice any flaws really, but it was a nice bright day without high contrast targets so it wasn't like it was particularly taxing on the optics.

Top Bottom