Athlon ARES BTR vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 2

Ranger.RSA

New Hide Member
Jul 3, 2018
I am unfortunately not in a position to handle either model before hand. For those of you who have experience with both give me their honest opinion? Which would be your choice?

2.5-15x50 vs 3-15x44
4.5-27x50 vs 5-25x50

Jul 29, 2014
wait for new ares etr. better in about every way though untested it seems to check about every box, 4.5-30x, 56mm objective, 34mm rings, 32mil elevation, lockable wind, good reticle

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com
I am anxious to see the new ETR as well. I do have both Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 and Gen 2 PST 5-25x50 on hand and in terms of image quality and turret feel, PST Gen 2 is a bit better. It is also more expensive, so there is that to take into account.

Both seem to stay zeroed and adjust reasonably well, but side by side PST Gen 2 is a better scope optically. I expect ETR to be a better scope, so that should make for an interesting comparison.

ILya

Supaphly

New Hide Member
Aug 7, 2018
I am anxious to see the new ETR as well. I do have both Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 and Gen 2 PST 5-25x50 on hand and in terms of image quality and turret feel, PST Gen 2 is a bit better. It is also more expensive, so there is that to take into account.

Both seem to stay zeroed and adjust reasonably well, but side by side PST Gen 2 is a better scope optically. I expect ETR to be a better scope, so that should make for an interesting comparison.

ILya
How would you compare those to the PST Gen 1?

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com
PST Gen 2 is a serious step up from Gen 1.

Ares BTR is similar to Gen 1 in terms of optical performance or a touch better. Ares BTR is a more full featured scope and I really like how compact it is and the fact that it has a proper zero stop. Mechanically, both Ares BTR and PST Gen 2 have been good. PST Gen 2 has better turret feel. Reticles are in the eye of the beholder.

ILya

Triple D

Trigger Monkey
Aug 22, 2011
Georgia
PST Gen2 or the Ares ETR.

I just couldn’t get past the turrets on the Ares BTR. If you’ve ever touched moderately decent turrets, you will be disappointed.

m6z

Private
Mar 2, 2013
Joplin, MO
PST Gen2 or the Ares ETR.

I just couldn’t get past the turrets on the Ares BTR. If you’ve ever touched moderately decent turrets, you will be disappointed.
I think there's a revised Ares BTR that's been quietly rolling out with the Midas TAC style turrets. I sure thought I read that somewhere anyways.

Triple D

Trigger Monkey
Aug 22, 2011
Georgia
My BTR has perfectly serviceable turrets. I do know they were improved at some point, but I do not know if mine is pre- or post- improvement.

ILya
Good to know they were improved. Thought I read that there wasn’t much of a fix for them, but that was months ago, and may have only been for the already released/sold models. They were audible and lined up, but they were way too easy to turn for my liking. Hope that’s been resolved.

Apr 15, 2008
Central Illinois
A really dumb question here. Athlon is 100% produced in China if I am correct. Are these subject to the "tariff war" that we are in with the Chinese and if so, should we expect price increases soon? A local farmer here claims new combines are going to cost $80k more just because of steel tariffs.

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com
Athlon Cronus is made in Japan. Everything else in China. I think there is already a tariff on importing riflescopes, so I am not sure if we will see any increase or not. I have not bothered to dig through the exact verbiage of what is happening with tariffs.

I hope they manage to make a deal that does not increase tariffs unduly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

ILya