Ar15 vs Ar10 for shtf

Blutroop

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2018
Alaska
To many variables. Depends a lot on why your “bugging out” but for argument sake are you just retreating to a position you think you can defend or are you gonna stay on the move in the hopes of being undiscovered? Do you expect your opposition to be armed with a ar? Are you in brown bear country? Do you have a strong back? Are you just getting this ar for bugout? Do you hunt? Do you expect to be up against individuals or organizations that will be wearing armor? Are you mechanically inclined? Are you gonna have spare parts? You gonna build yourself? you Going alone or do you have baggage? If you have “baggage” what is her measurements? Do you currently reside in a ao with a homeowners association aka hoa?

AMGtuned

Just white trash with money.....
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
Ummmmm, loved my gassers, that I had before the boat accident. But If I'm not mistaken as to the nature of what this "shtf" stuff you speak of is; I'll take a remmy 700 20" in 308, and a 12ga pump with some hot shit. Reliable, dependable, accurate enough, and gets a point across.

Or an armored Expedition with a Dillon Aero in the roof....... just sayin.....

Reactions: TACC and Blutroop

AMGtuned

Belligerents
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
Agreed. Small frame, standardized caliber, mil spec. Why else would they want them so bad?

Reactions: Blutroop

AMGtuned

Belligerents
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
AR-10 308. Battle rifle caliber, reliable, won't beat you up when you're really getting on the trigger. Good for ridge to ridge fighting, overwatch, hunting, and takes common ammo with good penetration ability.
In any normal discussion, I'd vote with you all the way. .308 large frame is some of the most fun I've had shooting. "Green" shooters may have reliability issues with large frame; so without knowing all the variables, I felt like the easiest recommendation to a noob-like question, is small frame

theLBC

Shiftless
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2019
assuming i only have one rifle for everything, it would use 7.62x51mm for maximum killing power, effective range and availability (assuming i may be forced to scavenge ammo). i'd prefer maximum possible standoff range.
if the bad guys are running smaller caliber ARs, i can have a chance to pick them off before they can get close enough to hit me.

Cheyenne Bodie

Goon
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2018
Whore Island
In any normal discussion, I'd vote with you all the way. .308 large frame is some of the most fun I've had shooting. "Green" shooters may have reliability issues with large frame; so without knowing all the variables, I felt like the easiest recommendation to a noob-like question, is small frame
556 and the AR-15 respectively both have many merits. It's certainly true that the AR-10 is not simply an upscaled AR-15, especially on the workbench. I only don't consider 556 for a SHTF primary rifle because I'd like a little more effectiveness against body armor and barriers. To have both 556 and 308 would be great, and to be honest I wouldn't want a squad full of just one or the other.

AR-15 seems too high speed for me personally in a SHTF situation, but I'm not really planning on much movin and shakin in most scenarios. Another angle of it would be optics, using either caliber or platform for extended ranges like those where 308 shines means your optics likely lack at shorter ranges where ambush and confrontation may be more likely, i.e. a road checkpoint or mugging. So while the 308 might have range as an advantage, it's really only in regard to killing power and not necessarily longer range accuracy without a compromise.

Reactions: AMGtuned and theLBC

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
My only 308 is a compact bolt gun that’s still capable at 1k. Now if I could mount a M240B to my pickup and had the budget for 10k rounds of M80 ball...it would be like back in my pog days.

theLBC

Shiftless
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2019
556 and the AR-15 respectively both have many merits. It's certainly true that the AR-10 is not simply an upscaled AR-15, especially on the workbench. I only don't consider 556 for a SHTF primary rifle because I'd like a little more effectiveness against body armor and barriers. To have both 556 and 308 would be great, and to be honest I wouldn't want a squad full of just one or the other.

AR-15 seems too high speed for me personally in a SHTF situation, but I'm not really planning on much movin and shakin in most scenarios. Another angle of it would be optics, using either caliber or platform for extended ranges like those where 308 shines means your optics likely lack at shorter ranges where ambush and confrontation may be more likely, i.e. a road checkpoint or mugging. So while the 308 might have range as an advantage, it's really only in regard to killing power and not necessarily longer range accuracy without a compromise.
yup. that is what makes it an interesting question. what can you give up if you have to compromise.
so what happens if your weapon is setup with a long range scope, but you are attacked at night at close range?
if you're operator as fuck, you're covered with a visible and IR laser pointer on your weapon so you don't have to use the scope or missing iron sights. then again, if you are operator as fuck, you might have back up sights for cqc on the side of the rifle.
for mugging or something really close up, i'd use a sidearm.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie

AMGtuned

Belligerents
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
yup. that is what makes it an interesting question. what can you give up if you have to compromise.
so what happens if your weapon is setup with a long range scope, but you are attacked at night at close range?
if you're operator as fuck, you're covered with a visible and IR laser pointer on your weapon so you don't have to use the scope or missing iron sights. then again, if you are operator as fuck, you might have back up sights for cqc on the side of the rifle.
for mugging or something really close up, i'd use a sidearm.
If one were "operator as fuck", the claymore/bear trap/concertina snare, would've snatched the fucker before he got close 😉

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
Well SHTF in Mexico and those boys had SAW's and LAW's so your guess is as good as mine.
When the rule of law fails here, like there, the kinds of toys playing will stun most in their tracks. For there are many inside that think like us an will supply an resupply us with the latest an greatest. Targeting with the newer shit is much easier than long ago. Plus the fact the other side will have to worry about "Eldest Son" operations,...

madppcs

Private
Belligerents
Oct 23, 2011
Forest hill, Louisiana
I have Nightvision and thermal optics. But all are battery powered so eventually they will be useless in the long run.

To answer the OP question directly, Id go with any of my 5.56 rifles.

Reactions: Lawless

RaymondPembrose

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2019
5.56 because of weight. I think optic considerations would be more important than caliber, both 5.56 and 308 wouldn't be difficult to come by.

AMGtuned

Belligerents
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
Fan since the start. Stock your powder and projos, only shoot when necessary.

tuckybill

Private
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2007
Kentucky
AR15 with a 6x leupold on it and painkillers and needle and thread for sewing up wounds in the grip/stock storage area.

Campt413

Somebody
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2019
Upstate SC
I'd go with the ar15 over the 10 for the weight savings alone.

I can also think of very very few scenarios where I need/have to engage a Target at over 4-500 yards. Atleast where I live.

Why would I want to draw attention to myself being that far away, not to mention wasting atleast some ammo.

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
Never saw this before, good info.
In school (Indiana in the late 50's early 60's)we had to make "controlled power" to graduate Auto shop. Everyone save me used an engine or motor to turn a generator. I used lemons and a pot, to turn a small motor. Shop teacher was pissed but the test was about making power, it did not say it had to be made via mechanical. My Chem/science teacher smiled when he heard. The shop teacher labeled me as a nonconformist,... I said simple,... no moving parts,... controllable,... whats not to like? Kin folk thought it was funny, an proud as hell, that they had grown/produced another nonconformist.

RyanScott

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 14, 2005
Houston
Start by asking what “SHTF” will look like. Unrest? Civil war? Economic crisis coupled with withdrawal of state security and increase in criminality? The answer is probably a handgun followed by an AR-15 for short, fast encounters with criminal gangs or terrorists, most likely in your home, place of business or on the road.

Docsherm

Guns Up!
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
DFW Texas
Start by asking what “SHTF” will look like. Unrest? Civil war? Economic crisis coupled with withdrawal of state security and increase in criminality? The answer is probably a handgun followed by an AR-15 for short, fast encounters with criminal gangs or terrorists, most likely in your home, place of business or on the road.

I think that the TWD is the scenario we have determined. ;)

Reactions: Lawless

deersniper

You can't handle the Truth
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2007
Northeast
I have Nightvision and thermal optics. But all are battery powered so eventually they will be useless in the long run.

To answer the OP question directly, Id go with any of my 5.56 rifles.
Solar chargers and rechargeable batteries

Reactions: madppcs