Anyone hunt with bags?

Covertnoob5

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 12, 2017
Hey guys do any of you guys take a shooting bag hunting? Saw someone take a mini fortune cookie. Just wanted to see if more people are doing that or not.

HaroldCoulter

Online Training Member
Apr 28, 2012
San Angelo
Hey guys do any of you guys take a shooting bag hunting? Saw someone take a mini fortune cookie. Just wanted to see if more people are doing that or not.
I do. I take a small weibad bag with me to the blind. I think I'm going to get a reasor game changer for this season though. I think it's way easier than taking a bipod or just resting the rifle on the window seal.

Covertnoob5

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 12, 2017
I feel the game changer might be a little heavy for me. Which Wiebad do you take? I was thinking about a tac pad or solo sack maybe?

XLR308

Sergeant of the Hide
Mar 22, 2018
I generally allways take my Badlands backpack and depending on the type or hunting I'm doing adjust what goes in it.
Sitting in a blind I take a bean bag I made and small sand bag.
Spot and stalk or sitting in brush line I take the bean bag and a BOG-POD tripod since they are both fairly light and plenty effective for most hunting distances I encounter.

Jun 13, 2008
There are places in the hunting world (say, central plains with little cover over 12" high) where it might be pretty useful to have a bag to shoot from, and there are those "hunters" that like to try to shoot little bitty animals from way out (like 1,000 yard pdogs, which just about need a damn rail gun).

But other than that, it's my opinion that you need to learn how to shoot from field improvised positions, most certainly including offhand and supported offhand.

I have taken a couple shots from a backpack (no rear bag), and that WAS nice, but the VAST majority of the shots I've ever taken at game were off the dirt, a limb, a corn stalk, around a hay bale, a fallen log, or just "old-fashioned" holding the rifle.

I'm not saying that a guy should be reckless, and I am very passionate about the differences between shots on game versus shots on paper or steel. If you need a bag to make that 6" shot, then by all means, use the bag.

But I do think you can learn to do it without for most instances.

-Nate

HaroldCoulter

Online Training Member
Apr 28, 2012
San Angelo
There are places in the hunting world (say, central plains with little cover over 12" high) where it might be pretty useful to have a bag to shoot from, and there are those "hunters" that like to try to shoot little bitty animals from way out (like 1,000 yard pdogs, which just about need a damn rail gun).

But other than that, it's my opinion that you need to learn how to shoot from field improvised positions, most certainly including offhand and supported offhand.

I have taken a couple shots from a backpack (no rear bag), and that WAS nice, but the VAST majority of the shots I've ever taken at game were off the dirt, a limb, a corn stalk, around a hay bale, a fallen log, or just "old-fashioned" holding the rifle.

I'm not saying that a guy should be reckless, and I am very passionate about the differences between shots on game versus shots on paper or steel. If you need a bag to make that 6" shot, then by all means, use the bag.

But I do think you can learn to do it without for most instances.

-Nate
When you're sitting in a blind in Texas and weight doesn't really matter, an bag on the window ledge creates a more stable and quieter rest to shoot from. I'm not only hunting muy grande from the blind I'm hunting coyotes and hogs etc. and sometimes they show up wayyyy out there.

On a spot and stalk where I'm packing with weight in mind, I would agree with you and probably carry something like a monopod trigger stick as well. Best believe I won't be shooting off hand out a blind with a perfectly good rest just for shits and giggles.

Jun 5, 2012
Idaho, USA
I carry a badger bone in case I get the chance to be prone for the shot. I also carry a light weight tripod with the double Y type rest on the top. I carry it fully extended like a walking stick and its been a nice confidence boost when taking up or down hill quartering shots. Never really needed it before, but I have used it on a few shots because I had it handy and it makes a big difference in seeing your impact on the animal and how it reacts when hit. Probably going to be a lot more practical this year since I'm hunting SE Idaho where there's knee high sage brush everywhere.

Top Bottom