Anyone done a spartan race or similar?

Iamero

Feb 14, 2017
A trainer at my gym was talking to me a bit about this race and got me pretty intrigued. I’ve been at the gym about 9 months now and as much as I like slinging weights, I wouldn’t mind having another goal to work towards.

Thinking about training for one with my brother in law and I was curious if anyone else has done one of these and what areas I should be focusing on.

The next one in Michigan is in 5 months so I’ll need to get training pretty hard if I plan on doing one this year yet.

jd138

Sergeant
Jan 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I did one outside of Dallas a couple years back. It was a lot of fun and I met a bunch of interesting people. They time it so the "pros" have their heats early so the beer leaguers like myself don't feel like they are getting in the way. You will find yourself bumping into and trying to get around the super slow folks, just try to use track etiquette.

Couple tips:
Upper body strength is a different animal after being tired and wading through water and running in mud filled shoes. So maybe train with weights/body weight while incorporating sprint intervals.

In case you are not used to it, do some climbing and balance training.

Again if it's new to you, work out a good rope climb technique and be ready to start while waist deep in water.

Remember, it's supposed to be fun.

Feb 13, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
It’s a blast. I just finished the sprint yesterday. The course was 99% mud which I didn’t train for.

Tips
Start running outside (hills, hikes)
Doing a lot of back workouts (pull ups, rows, bar hangs)
Burpees lol (30 at a time)
Have fun!!!!

Feb 21, 2013
TEXAS
I did the 5 mile a couple years ago, and did the mile with the kids. It was fun,
JD, did you go to the one at Rough Creek? I was not properly trained up for the 5 mile, not enough mud training, and lacking the running training. We are going to try to make the one this October again. The kids had a blast on the 1 mile.

jd138

Sergeant
Jan 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Yes, it was at Rough Creek. It was the far side of Dallas for me which made the drive back to Tulsa after the race ... uncomfortable.

Iamero - I forgot to mention, they have stations to rinse off after the race. I recommend a full set of clothes to change into. The race organizers also collect muddy shoes for donations; pretty cool touch.

Iamero

Feb 14, 2017
Good to know. Yea, running is going to be one of the main focuses of my training this summer. I can usually pull off a 3 mile without much training, but 5 miles plus obstacles is a BIG difference. All my time in the gym has been lifting with a little focus on cardio lately to drop the body fat percentage.

I can't wait to give this a go. I have no expectation to be anywhere near the top, but would be quite happy just to finish one to start!

JC98

Private
May 29, 2014
Ive run a few tough mudders and some local 5 mile obstacle/mud runs. Get yourself a good pair of trail shoes like the salmon speed crosses or something similar. They drain well and have great tread that will help with keeping your footing. If your running a later heat you usually have some down time waiting at the obstacles so if you can bang out 3 miles you should be fine on a 5 miler.

Dec 24, 2009
central ny
I try to get a few in every year. We have a couple 5 mile ones that have 15-20 obstacles, mud, open fields, and wooded terrain. I get in shape for them by putting 4o lbs. in a backpack and running off road on trails, woodlands, ect. I just turned the big Five O! and still bring it!!!

Mar 3, 2013
I did a tough Mudder back in 2012 and it was a bunch of fun though I was not in shape to run a 12 mile obstacle course!
Last year I did the spartan Beast 14+ Miles in Brekenridge, CO it sucked! But at the same time it was awesome. The entire course was on the ski slopes and i think all of it was above 10,000 ft. The worst part was carrying a sand bag and a bucket of gravel straight up hill. I was in way better shape for this one but I live at 3,000 and was training at 4-5k ft I still wasn’t ready. Also I got shin splints for the first time ever and that really sucked!
Would i do it again? Yes, but for now I’m looking into “Go Ruck” for my next endurance event.

Feb 1, 2013
FL
I've run a couple Tough Mudders and one Spartan, but I'm no expert. Each event covered 9-12 miles. Someone mentioned above combining resistance/weight work with sprint intervals. I'd second that. You don't need to be able to run a fast half marathon to be able to do this. If you can run 3-5 miles at a time, you should be ok. You will probably be running, at most, a half mile or slightly more, at a time before coming to an obstacle. Be sure to work on upper body strength (pull ups, rope climb - find a technique that works for you, rows, grip strength!). Some people wore gloves, but I didn't because I didn't want to sacrifice dexterity or grip. Get comfortable with climbing/heights, and moving through mud/water. You'll probably be carrying some odd-shaped objects too at some point. I'd suggest doing some work with weighted carries/farmer carries, sandbag work, etc. Also, be comfortable moving while filthy. Muddy/sandy/wet clothes will make things more challenging, so pick appropriate clothing and footwear that will minimize saturation with said filth (probably not cotton). I found a pair of polyester compression shorts under my athletic shorts to be helpful. Various low crawls resulted in skinned up knees and elbows. They weren't painful during the event because they were fresh and the adrenaline was flowing. If abrasions on elbows/knees is going to be a problem for you, cover them somehow. Make sure you hydrate and fuel properly (especially during the race at the aid stations). My calves cramped pretty good at several points along the way. Overall, have fun and enjoy it!

Feb 13, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
I did a tough Mudder back in 2012 and it was a bunch of fun though I was not in shape to run a 12 mile obstacle course!
Last year I did the spartan Beast 14+ Miles in Brekenridge, CO it sucked! But at the same time it was awesome. The entire course was on the ski slopes and i think all of it was above 10,000 ft. The worst part was carrying a sand bag and a bucket of gravel straight up hill. I was in way better shape for this one but I live at 3,000 and was training at 4-5k ft I still wasn’t ready. Also I got shin splints for the first time ever and that really sucked!
Would i do it again? Yes, but for now I’m looking into “Go Ruck” for my next endurance event.
I just looked at the go ruck and it looks bad ass. It seems more like a slow jog if anything...

Top Bottom