Anyone done a spartan race or similar?

Iamero

Feb 14, 2017
A trainer at my gym was talking to me a bit about this race and got me pretty intrigued. I’ve been at the gym about 9 months now and as much as I like slinging weights, I wouldn’t mind having another goal to work towards.

Thinking about training for one with my brother in law and I was curious if anyone else has done one of these and what areas I should be focusing on.

The next one in Michigan is in 5 months so I’ll need to get training pretty hard if I plan on doing one this year yet.

jd138

Sergeant
Jan 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I did one outside of Dallas a couple years back. It was a lot of fun and I met a bunch of interesting people. They time it so the "pros" have their heats early so the beer leaguers like myself don't feel like they are getting in the way. You will find yourself bumping into and trying to get around the super slow folks, just try to use track etiquette.

Couple tips:
Upper body strength is a different animal after being tired and wading through water and running in mud filled shoes. So maybe train with weights/body weight while incorporating sprint intervals.

In case you are not used to it, do some climbing and balance training.

Again if it's new to you, work out a good rope climb technique and be ready to start while waist deep in water.

Remember, it's supposed to be fun.

Feb 13, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
It’s a blast. I just finished the sprint yesterday. The course was 99% mud which I didn’t train for.

Tips
Start running outside (hills, hikes)
Doing a lot of back workouts (pull ups, rows, bar hangs)
Burpees lol (30 at a time)
Have fun!!!!

Feb 21, 2013
TEXAS
I did the 5 mile a couple years ago, and did the mile with the kids. It was fun,
JD, did you go to the one at Rough Creek? I was not properly trained up for the 5 mile, not enough mud training, and lacking the running training. We are going to try to make the one this October again. The kids had a blast on the 1 mile.

jd138

Sergeant
Jan 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Yes, it was at Rough Creek. It was the far side of Dallas for me which made the drive back to Tulsa after the race ... uncomfortable.

Iamero - I forgot to mention, they have stations to rinse off after the race. I recommend a full set of clothes to change into. The race organizers also collect muddy shoes for donations; pretty cool touch.

Iamero

Feb 14, 2017
Good to know. Yea, running is going to be one of the main focuses of my training this summer. I can usually pull off a 3 mile without much training, but 5 miles plus obstacles is a BIG difference. All my time in the gym has been lifting with a little focus on cardio lately to drop the body fat percentage.

I can't wait to give this a go. I have no expectation to be anywhere near the top, but would be quite happy just to finish one to start!

May 29, 2014
Ive run a few tough mudders and some local 5 mile obstacle/mud runs. Get yourself a good pair of trail shoes like the salmon speed crosses or something similar. They drain well and have great tread that will help with keeping your footing. If your running a later heat you usually have some down time waiting at the obstacles so if you can bang out 3 miles you should be fine on a 5 miler.