Anybody road bike?

Nov 25, 2012
Southern NM
Roadie for nearly 30 years and raced a fair number of those. At 63 just ride for fitness now and train for organized rides such as the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. Took a fall in early May two weeks before the ride and wound up with a displaced Intertrochanteric fracture of the left femur which required surgery. Back on the trainer and plan to be back on the road in September.

Molas Pass 2017.jpg
Topping Molas Pass (10,940 ft) in last years Iron Horse. Original Merlin Road titanium frame which I bought new in 1995. Dura Ace 7900, custom wheels , carbon fork, seat post, bars and stem.

Nov 12, 2007
Black Hills, SD
I raced my road bike at the lowest amateur level for about 15 years (1985-2000); I still ride once in awhile, but favor the mtn bike more these days. I bought an Eddy Merckx carbon fiber road frame a few years back hoping it would offset the effects of aging and gravity -- not fully successful. Took Monday off a few weeks back to bike the Needles Highway in Custer State Park on my 56th birthday. A Tour de France worthy climb; I only do it about once a year -- it takes me that long to recover and dismiss the suffering. If you're ever in the Black Hills of SD let me know -- the roads in the Southern Hills that the motorcyclists like to ride during the Sturgis Rally are also fun to bike. There's a challenging loop that takes you past Mt Rushmore Natl Memorial, too.

Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
I raced my road bike at the lowest amateur level for about 15 years (1985-2000); I still ride once in awhile, but favor the mtn bike more these days. I bought an Eddy Merckx carbon fiber road frame a few years back hoping it would offset the effects of aging and gravity -- not fully successful. Took Monday off a few weeks back to bike the Needles Highway in Custer State Park on my 56th birthday. A Tour de France worthy climb; I only do it about once a year -- it takes me that long to recover and dismiss the suffering. If you're ever in the Black Hills of SD let me know -- the roads in the Southern Hills that the motorcyclists like to ride during the Sturgis Rally are also fun to bike. There's a challenging loop that takes you past Mt Rushmore Natl Memorial, too.
Hertz,
Have you ever done the Spearfish canyon around and passed Terry Peak, through Deadwood into Lead and finish at Terry Peak?
Seems like you could get some serious climbing in a fairly short ride.
I'm sure you've started on 8th street, up Mt Rushmore road, down into Keystone, past the monument and back out on to 16 for the high speed downhill back to Rapid.

Last time I was in the area (2013), I was showing my wife (then girlfriend) all of the places I wanted to ride.
She thought I was nuts.

If I still lived there I would be riding my ass off.

swix

Private
Sep 24, 2017
many km's daily … makes rifles/optics look inexpensive by comparison. Road/TT/MTB/CX/Fatbike etc, no better way to explore the world.

waveslayer

Mar 6, 2012
CA
You know it. I'm benched from the bike right now, but I love the road bike. My all time love is mountain biking. 36 days ago I went to Big Bear and did some downhill stuff, first run of the day after a day before at another bike park. 3 broken ribs later and a bruised ego I'm still recovering!

I know a few guys in here that road bike a lot

AviCado

My cans are just okay, really.
Jul 23, 2018
St Louis
Shoulda been in here earlier, but it's my day off so WTF, why not.

I ride a ragged-out Fuji Royale that's been wrecked once. Ride for fitness and to commute, because having a gym at work makes it easy. I think my speed record is around 30mph, and distance record is just over 40 miles at once. Not a champ, but I enjoy it and I'm always in for suggestions.

I also picked up one of the home trainers, CycleOps Fluid2. Bad for practicing roadbiking, but decent for just burning off calories and practicing a flat pace when it's shitstorming outside.

trob_205

Sergeant of the Hide
Jul 11, 2013
Coldwater, MI
True love is single track MTB but I have to travel an he one way to ride any. Still ride the hardtail MTB on tarmac and gravel roads around here tho. Used to have a road bike until funds got short when having my daughter. Don’t miss it much YET. The hardtail suits me just fine unless I’m trying to keep up with some roadie buddies.

Attachments

Apr 22, 2017
I have owned a mountain bike off and on for 15 years. I could never stay hooked with it. I'll be 50 years old in a month and been doing some crossfit and trying to run with disappointing results. 6 weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a Niner gravel bike. The bike is a blast. I've lost 10 pounds riding about 120 miles a week on county dirt roads. I just ordered a road wheel set and plan to do a 100k road event in 6 weeks and hopefully a 40 mile gravel event in a few weeks. My goal is the Dirty Kanza 100 in and hopefully the 200 the following year.

My wife been riding mountain bikes. She got a Salsa Warbird and she has become hooked on gravel as well.

If you are reading this and sitting on the fence about getting into cycling, dont hesitate any longer. Its very good exercise, callenging, good stress relief, easy on the body and most of all, fun.

Nov 24, 2008
Mooresville,NC
Started Aug.6th. I got a Vilano TUONO off Amazon. It's stripped down version of their commuter bike. It's got some good features but I think I'm already out growing it. I do a 32 mile loop two days in a row and then a 15 mile hill training, 4 loops eight climbs. Then back to the 32's. I was a runner but the impact was just killing my joints. It actually cost me a hip. I was in OK shape when I started but this bike has got me to the best condition I've been in since rookie school. I'm going to get a better bike next year for sure.

RedRyder

Feb 22, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I ride a Felt Z4 CF bike with SRAM components. Got in about 1,500 miles this year. Best year I ever did I think was 2500 miles. Due to work or one thing or another, I can only get in ~ 20 miles a ride. It's a little hilly here in western PA so I can tailor my ride to how much I want to suffer.

EGwhisper

Feb 14, 2017
Was riding ~120 miles/week. Hit from behind by asshole back in August at 60mph. About like motorcycling; too many idiots on the road for people to enjoy, just a bunch of people on phones in a hurry to go nowhere. Be safe dudes.

EGwhisper

Feb 14, 2017
^^^^^^^^^^

How badly were you hurt? Miracle you're still alive.
Somehow just a broken fibula and elbow, some staples in the arm. Thanks for asking, back to riding 6 weeks out. A few other bikers in the area didn't fare so well this summer.

"Sun was in my eyes" - fortunately not a valid legal argument, but my ass was the one on the road. I am more aware of riding into the sun now, and made sure to get a "daylight bright" blinking rear light.

RedRyder

Feb 22, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
^^^^^^^^

Brother of the Wheel, you got that right. I started using "blinkeys" a year or so ago. I use a brilliant bright white LED on my left rear and a bright red LED on my seat bag. Lezyne (sp?) makes one of them. Can't remember who the other manufacturer was but got it at REI.

EGwhisper

Feb 14, 2017
Yeah, mountain biking is a WHOLE lot safer. Yeah, I get that.
That's what I was beginning to think, until another guy in the hospital had a full head brace, and rod in the place his neck vertebrae used to be from hitting a tree mountain biking.

Nov 24, 2008
Mooresville,NC
I've been riding since Aug. 6th. I've got just over 1000 miles so far. I've had a few incidents that could be considered a close call,people turning left in front of you, pulling out of a stop sign and just seeing me at the last second. I have lights front and back and wear a bright orange jersey but they still don't see. Having said that I've done way more stupid stuff from inexperience than that and was just lucky no one was driving near me or they we able to avoid me. You have to have your head on a swivel. And be concentrating on not doing something they are not expecting.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
Southern NM
Five months into my recovery from breaking my femur and will hit the road this coming weekend. Finished PT and been back in the weight room for over a month building strength in the injured leg. Been using Trainer Road on the indoor trainer with Vector 3 pedals to measure watts and power balance between legs. Have used different indoor training regimens over the years and these is the best by far. Very structured plans for getting one in shape. Iron Horse registration opens in two months and will be signing up. Hardware.jpg

Nov 24, 2008
Mooresville,NC
Wow . When I had my hip replaced ( 22 months ago) I was back to work in five weeks. At the time I was a heavy equipment mechanic and didn't do a lot of heavy work. The boss insisted I let the other guy's do it, and God Bless them they did. That's a good recovery there. Good luck this weekend.

RedRyder

Feb 22, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
That's what I was beginning to think, until another guy in the hospital had a full head brace, and rod in the place his neck vertebrae used to be from hitting a tree mountain biking.
Actually I was being sarcastic.

Threats come at road bikers from every direction and in many different forms - it's a wonder we all don't have PTSD after a ride. Mountain bikers usually, and I emphasize USUALLY, are in danger from one direction - the front. But at the wild speeds mountain bikers ride, front facing threats are bad enough. I have a lot of respect for mountain bikers. At least the fast ones.

Apr 26, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
I enjoy riding and usually use the Rails to Trails bike path. Last year I built up a gravel bike and started riding dirt roads in and around the nearby national forest. It's so much nicer to see more deer in the road than cars. I no longer feel safe riding roads unless in a group...too many people on their phones while trying to drive.

Ziatriguy

Online Training Member
Jun 13, 2017
Yup. I started in 1984 after I watched a guy named Alexi Grewal with the mens road race. I raced until just a few years ago. Now I ride for fun....Now cyclocross....that is the most fun Ive had on a bike!

Nov 24, 2008
Mooresville,NC
I'm getting there. Not fast like real competitor fast but I actually got to 26 MPH on a flat road. The top gear on my bike is only 50/14 and a little wind at my back was helping a bunch but it was still 26 MPH. Hell I only did that before downhill.