Anybody else have trouble with case heads separating in Lake City 223 brass in a AR?

Sharpshooter3

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
I had 3 case heads fail this last time out to the range. Just wondering if anybody else has had trouble with lake city brass? They were all loaded on the mild side. I did notice that the primer pockets were among the few that I did not have to swage. So maybe somebody mixed in some wore out brass in that batch when I bought them?

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
Not me... Although I did have one peice without a primer hole drilled through case... Not fun.

I'd check case shoulder bump length like @supercorndogs suggests in sized piece vs one or two fired from your chamber.

Otherwise, maybe they were shot in a rifle with bad chamber and/or long headspace prior which would wear them out quick in a hot load. But either way, I'd be super cautious with the rest of that lot. Not worth wrecking a rifle or worse...

Sharpshooter3

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
That is my thoughts Subwrx300. The rest of that lot has made its way to the scrap pile. I have just never had problems with case head separation in the past. Usually if I ever have a failure it is with the necks splitting. I will check in to the case shoulder bump length thanks!