Another annealing question re.: recovering brass from inconsistent annealing

EchoDeltaSierra

Low-speed High-drag
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
This has been mentioned in another couple of threads but thought it best ask this question on it's own thread.

I have come to terms with the fact I messed up 100 pieces of my Nosler brass trying cutting corners annealing. That said, I believe they have been over annealed since none of them were taken to the point of glowing; if anything, I suspect it's under or inconsistently annealed. (Simply my current theory)

The question: would shooting then re-annealing the brass in a consistent manner recover neck tension consistency?

Thanks for the ideas!

whatsupdoc

Duck season
Dec 12, 2017
Long Island NY
Destroy the brass.
What if you did something wrong that causes a failure of the part of the system, whose purpose is to contain 59,000 psi pressure 6 inches from your face.

The $100 you saved on the brass wont even cover the medical deductible.

EchoDeltaSierra

Low-speed High-drag
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
Just thought I'd post an update on this self-caused problem. After annealing 150 pieces of brass with the socket on a driver held in a torch method, my SDs opened up and I determined it to be due to very perceivable inconsistencies in neck tension.

That said, my Annealeez arrived, I re-annealed the brass and ran it through neck sizing using a .288 bushing which was .001 tighter that the previous bushing. The first firing of a lot of 50 was better SD, the second firing produced even better SD and back inline with single digit SDs I generally produce.

Observations:
- Consistency in brass is as important as consistency in charge weight or bullet seating.
- Messing with all of the cool bench rest tricks for maintaining necks does not seem necessary for maintaining brass within the needs of a PRS shooter.
- In talking to several people who shoot high volume PRS matches. A couple of them explained the value of annealing for keeping the neck and shoulder springy enough to relieve firing pressure from the primer pockets, thus extending brass life.
- I plan to anneal after every firing and a machine like the Annealeez appears adequate maintain consistency and is simple enough to support frequent use.

Feb 13, 2017
I have read that you should go down another size of bushing. Right now I am running .001 of neck tension with a .289 bushin but also have a .288 as well.

I just started annealing and wonder should I drop one size on the bushing?

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Apr 25, 2017
I have read that you should go down another size of bushing. Right now I am running .001 of neck tension with a .289 bushin but also have a .288 as well.

Softer brass springs back less. Think about that and you'll have your answer.

EchoDeltaSierra

Low-speed High-drag
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota

I only went tighter on the first anneal and reload. I might run it on the second. I plan to take it back to .289 if I can. The theory being, the less I work the brass the longer it should last.