American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

Boatninja

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2018
Port Aransas Tx
Mine gets beat up pretty regularly and I haven't had any problems. I don't and never did expect it to be spot on after a barrel swap. regardless the POI change after swapping has never been far off.

SOAPdata

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2019
St. Louis
I really want to do my ARC archamedies LA in a Xylo. But I need to gun for a May 1 shoot.

Dont know if I should gamble or not

phlegethon

Gunny Sergeant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
I really want to do my ARC archamedies LA in a Xylo. But I need to gun for a May 1 shoot.

Dont know if I should gamble or not
Get a Bravo and resell it when you’re done.

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I just started Googling Xylo chassis, can someone give me a breakdown on how delayed this chassis is? They announced it early 2019? Is this the v2 of the chassis, or the same pre-order that's been going on for over a year?

Originally pre-order price was $799, now it looks like the retail price is $1300. I'm in the market to pick up a new R700 chassis and action (most likely a new V22, or Deuce/Deadline)... but no idea what the status of this Chassis is.

Thanks!

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
I just started Googling Xylo chassis, can someone give me a breakdown on how delayed this chassis is? They announced it early 2019? Is this the v2 of the chassis, or the same pre-order that's been going on for over a year?

Originally pre-order price was $799, now it looks like the retail price is $1300. I'm in the market to pick up a new R700 chassis and action (most likely a new V22, or Deuce/Deadline)... but no idea what the status of this Chassis is.

Thanks!
announced. proto/renderings shown.

this is the actual version after much refinement.

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
Yes, this is still the initial release Xylo we are waiting on.

The reason why (in my opinion) is that Ted's Mausingfield revision was not well accepted so he went back to the drawing board on that and changed a lot of the Archimedes too. With that going on and bolt/trigger/scope rail issues with the Archimedes release, the Xylo was on the back burner.

I was worried that it was going to ship right before Christmas when my credit card was hurting a bit so the delay has been ok for me.

I think ARC is going to have a pretty full product portfolio after the Xylo is in production and delivering. I've heard some talk of a .338 Lapua Magnum size Archimedes. It sounds like a great idea to me but could be a rumor. If they add that and tweak some of their offerings a bit, I think every shooter could have at least one ARC action appropriate for the type of rifles they like.

After that, I think we will see a lot less delay in ARC product releases instead of last year when they had a Shot show version of the Mausingfield, the Shot show version of Archimedes, the Xylo, the release 2019 Mausingfield, the release Archimedes, the Nucleus 1.1 and the Nucleus 2.0 (which all bumped the Xylo in to 2020). Last year was just too much for a small company.

Steel head

Feral kitten
Belligerents
Aug 3, 2014
Washington
Yes, this is still the initial release Xylo we are waiting on.

The reason why (in my opinion) is that Ted's Mausingfield revision was not well accepted so he went back to the drawing board on that and changed a lot of the Archimedes too. With that going on and bolt/trigger/scope rail issues with the Archimedes release, the Xylo was on the back burner.

I was worried that it was going to ship right before Christmas when my credit card was hurting a bit so the delay has been ok for me.

I think ARC is going to have a pretty full product portfolio after the Xylo is in production and delivering. I've heard some talk of a .338 Lapua Magnum size Archimedes. It sounds like a great idea to me but could be a rumor. If they add that and tweak some of their offerings a bit, I think every shooter could have at least one ARC action appropriate for the type of rifles they like.

After that, I think we will see a lot less delay in ARC product releases instead of last year when they had a Shot show version of the Mausingfield, the Shot show version of Archimedes, the Xylo, the release 2019 Mausingfield, the release Archimedes, the Nucleus 1.1 and the Nucleus 2.0 (which all bumped the Xylo in to 2020). Last year was just too much for a small company.
I’ve heard talk of the .585 bolt face Archimedes as well.
I want one.

Reactions: HOLLYW00D and lash

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for sharing! Always enjoy Ted's videos, he's pretty unrefined and unpolished, but you get glimpses into his creative genius, which as a fellow engineer I always appreciate.

The video showed off some features that previously I was unaware of, it's obviously a very well thought out chassis.

I love the bump in the mag release/catch lever, that's an ingenious and simple way to prevent the mag from rotating and thus binding. The level idea is cool, until the video I didn't realize that it "popped through", I figured it was a QD attachment. The quick adjust on the LOP and cheek piece seem very well thought out as well. That ARCA/RRS with built in Anschutz and Area419 (whatever their holes/patterns called) it awesome. I also love the trigger guard is slotted so that you can access any trigger adjustment set screws. There's a lot of small details going into this chassis that just goes to show how well thought out it is.

I like that the grip is open sourced, my idea of getting a micarta handle in a wacky color (and maybe matching cheek piece) can come to life :p.

Overall, seems like a very functional, well thought out and built chassis. My hats off to you Ted!

I know some people like medium Palma type contours, but hopefully there's heavier contours available for those that prefer a heavier barrel (my preference is generally in the m24/MTU/heavy varmint contours, though a heavy Palma would be okay as well).

Last edited:

Kiba

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 13, 2011
Central Valley, CA
After seeing the refined, near-production ready version of the Xylo in the video, I’m regretting my decision not to get in at the pre-order price last year. It looks very comfy with a lot of nice features.

One suggestion (which may already be on the chassis since I can’t see it in the video) is to incorporate height reference marks for the cheek rest height similar to what AI does on the AX buttstock. An engraved arrow and a few numbers and hash marks on the cheek rest rack and chassis makes it very easy to get the cheekrest back to the previous location after lowering it to clean the barrel or if you let someone else shoot it and they adjust the cheekrest.

Sure you can accomplish the same thing with a silver sharpie or a couple of pieces of tape, but engraving an arrow and numbers/hash marks looks more polished IMO.

(Cue Ted to complain about feature creep bloating the design, increasing costs, and delaying the schedule… I know the feeling because I deal with it daily, LOL)

Looking forward to handling one at some point in the future.

Last edited:

karagias

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Jan 24, 2010
Washington
www.americanrifle.com
I can't keep up with you guys. While the video was uploading to YouTube, I took the dogs for a walk thinking that when I return, I would post the video on the Hide, and what do you know? Somebody beat me to it. Oh well.

Special thanks to the early adopters that ordered a Xylo Chassis one year ago at Shot Show. You guys got a great price and we will certainly honor it. We will be contacting folks for final payment within the next two or three weeks as parts return from anodizing.

We have increased the price of the Xylo Chassis to $1295. After finishing it we realized that it was under priced at $1000 so if you managed to order one at that price, lucky you.

The Xylo Chassis is awesome. I was out shooting it this weekend and loved everything about it. Pics are attached. Barrel shown in the pics was painted with black Rust-Oleum because of time constraints before Shot Show. The barrels of both the Archimedes and the Nucleus rifles will have external surfaces salt bath nitrided. Bore and chambers will be supplied in-the-white.

More soon...

TedIMG_20200126_152128.jpg

Attachments

karagias

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Jan 24, 2010
Washington
www.americanrifle.com
More pics...

Attachments

Kimber.204

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
May 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Special thanks to the early adopters that ordered a Xylo Chassis one year ago at Shot Show.
I liked the concept from last year - this release version is even better!!!! I got bumped up to Master in NRA Highpower and this will be my companion stock for the 2020 season. Thanks @karagias !!! Yeah it sucks we had to wait a while, but look at some of the other industries doing pre-orders lately....I'm thinking of electric vehicles. People forget that some of the Tesla pre-orders were longer than this....the owners don't remember that when they're going 0-60 in 2.4sec....and when I tweak the stock length quickly for standing/sitting/prone and I stack them all inside the 10 ring I won't care that I waited a long time. I'll be checking my email constantly waiting for the notice it's ready to ship.

Thanks again Ted!
Ross

Reactions: phlegethon

Stoweit

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 19, 2017
New England
Wow looks fantastic. Is the trigger TT. If so which cocking piece do you suggest? Thanks

leftyk82

Son of a Son of a Sailor
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2014
Eagleville, TN
Enjoyed the video. Ted was doing 'one-take' before it was cool.

While 15" LOP is nice, are there any accessories or mechanisms to get it closer to 16"? Asking for yeti's everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas

Dthomas3523

Well Calloused Knees
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
@karagias

I forgot to ask at shot, does the rack and pinion handle dirt/dust pretty well?

I think that’s my favorite cheek adjustment I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: rydah

PBWalsh

Isaiah 40:25-31
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
@karagias I know I asked on the other thread, but do you have a weight for the Xylo with no added weights?

Oh and thanks for making a chassis with a short LOP and trigger reach!

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
Enjoyed the video. Ted was doing 'one-take' before it was cool.

While 15" LOP is nice, are there any accessories or mechanisms to get it closer to 16"? Asking for yeti's everywhere.
It shouldn't be tough to make a spacer.

BEJ762

Online Training Member
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2014
Bay Area, CA
@karagias I know I asked on the other thread, but do you have a weight for the Xylo with no added weights?

Oh and thanks for making a chassis with a short LOP and trigger reach!
I called ARC this morning to ask that question and they said around 3.5-4lbs.

Ted - Please correct me if I got that wrong.

Reactions: PBWalsh

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
Anybody have a link to a video of the Archimedes showing the bolt lift ease when the bolt is lifted? Maybe a side by side directly compared to any of the common custom actions?

Please Please, too many pages to wade through.

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I like the 12 point wrench interface on the barrel.
I like that aspect about the Bighorn prefit nut!

I haven't kept up in case this has been mentioned before but it would be cool if ARC offered a less expensive shouldered barrel option equal to a Shilen prefit. I paid less than $380 shipped to my door for my prefit from Shilen and it's been an incredible barrel. Of course it'd be easier to have a shouldered barrel option instead of a prefit. Not saying doing this as cheap as Shilen does but not $750+.

Too me the shouldered barrels for say an Impact action are as much as a shouldered barrel done by my GS so except for the time savings it has much less appeal price wise so I'd rather do prefits.

Steel head

Feral kitten
Belligerents
Aug 3, 2014
Washington
I like that aspect about the Bighorn prefit nut!

I haven't kept up in case this has been mentioned before but it would be cool if ARC offered a less expensive shouldered barrel option equal to a Shilen prefit. I paid less than $380 shipped to my door for my prefit from Shilen and it's been an incredible barrel. Of course it'd be easier to have a shouldered barrel option instead of a prefit. Not saying doing this as cheap as Shilen does but not $750+.

Too me the shouldered barrels for say an Impact action are as much as a shouldered barrel done by my GS so except for the time savings it has much less appeal price wise so I'd rather do prefits.
He recently mentioned criterion barrels.

I’ve ran 3 Shilens so far and all have been excellent to amazing.
I’d totally love a shouldered Shilen at a decent cost for my nuke.

That said the brux currently on my nuke makes me giggle like a schoolgirl every time I shoot it.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123

Kiba

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 13, 2011
Central Valley, CA
Anybody have a link to a video of the Archimedes showing the bolt lift ease when the bolt is lifted? Maybe a side by side directly compared to any of the common custom actions?

Please Please, too many pages to wade through.
I don't have any videos, but it's light and smooth. Since there's no traditional extraction cam the entire 75 degree bolt rotation is only used to cock the firing pin, and if you have a slightly stuck case from a warm load there's no "click" or sticky bolt lift at the top of the travel where a traditional action would exhibit extra bolt lift effort while working against the extraction camming surfaces to pop the stuck case out of the chamber. (That can also be a negative for load development though if you like to push the envelope, as the Archimedes will not have the "click" on bolt open to provide you with another sign that your load is on the warm/hot side.)

Bolt lift on my Archimedes is noticeably lighter than one friend's TL3 (which is quite light and smooth) and I'd say it's on par with or just a slight bit heavier than another friend's Impact. This is going by "fingertip feel", not any instrumented testing. I think Ted's choice of 75 degree bolt rotation over 60 degrees was a good one, you still get the benefits of reduced motion and increased bolt knob to scope clearance but there's an additional 15 degrees of rotation to spread out and lighten the bolt lift effort while compressing the firing pin spring.

If you choose the cocking piece for the Archimedes to have close to zero cock on close with your trigger, it's light single fingertip effort to close too. It's a very smooth and fast action.

One other comment... when I swapped the barrel and CG Mod 22 trigger from a Nucleus to the Archimedes, the Archimedes had a horribly heavy, draggy bolt lift and the firing pin had a slow fall-- the sear on the Mod 22 was too tall for the Archimedes even though it worked great in the Nucleus. I switched to a Bix-N-Andy with the low sear and the bolt lift is now really smooth and light (felt the same as with no trigger installed) and no more slow firing pin falls. I'm not the only one to encounter trigger / sear height sensitivity with the Archimedes, several here have posted about it with various triggers.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I don't have any videos, but it's light and smooth. Since there's no traditional extraction cam the entire 75 degree bolt rotation is only used to cock the firing pin, and if you have a slightly stuck case from a warm load there's no "click" or sticky bolt lift at the top of the travel where a traditional action would exhibit extra bolt lift effort while working against the extraction camming surfaces to pop the stuck case out of the chamber. (That can also be a negative for load development though if you like to push the envelope, as the Archimedes will not have the "click" on bolt open to provide you with another sign that your load is on the warm/hot side.)

Bolt lift on my Archimedes is noticeably lighter than one friend's TL3 (which is quite light and smooth) and I'd say it's on par with or just a slight bit heavier than another friend's Impact. This is going by "fingertip feel", not any instrumented testing. I think Ted's choice of 75 degree bolt rotation over 60 degrees was a good one, you still get the benefits of reduced motion and increased bolt knob to scope clearance but there's an additional 15 degrees of rotation to spread out and lighten the bolt lift effort while compressing the firing pin spring.

If you choose the cocking piece for the Archimedes to have close to zero cock on close with your trigger, it's light single fingertip effort to close too. It's a very smooth and fast action.

One other comment... when I swapped the barrel and CG Mod 22 trigger from a Nucleus to the Archimedes, the Archimedes had a horribly heavy, draggy bolt lift and the firing pin had a slow fall-- the sear on the Mod 22 was too tall for the Archimedes even though it worked great in the Nucleus. I switched to a Bix-N-Andy with the low sear and the bolt lift is now really smooth and light (felt the same as with no trigger installed) and no more slow firing pin falls. I'm not the only one to encounter trigger / sear height sensitivity with the Archimedes, several here have posted about it with various triggers.
Thanks Kiba, that's a very good explanation or description of the Archimedes feel.

Kimber.204

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
May 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Bolt lift on my Archimedes is noticeably lighter than one friend's TL3 (which is quite light and smooth)
I've been wondering this myself. The thing I love about my TL3 compared to my Mausingfield M7 is that the lighter bolt lift of the TL3 doesn't displace the rifle as much as the slightly heavier lift in the M7. If the Archimedes is lighter than the TL3 (or at least that one TL3) it would be really interesting to me. I'll have to start watching the PX section.

the sear on the Mod 22 was too tall for the Archimedes
When I was putting together my Eliseo Tube gun with a Defiance Mutant action I picked up a used CG X-treme Mod 22 trigger and it wouldn't stay cocked. When I called Tom at X-treme Shooting Products and explained the issue he asked if it was a Defiance Bolt rifle. He had me send the trigger back and they replaced the sear and shipped it back out the same day. The taller sear worked perfectly. I say all that so as not to dissuade people from using the CG Mod 22 triggers - They are fantastic two-stage triggers. I have several Timney Calvin Elite two-stage triggers and they a really good....but the feel and adjust-ability of the CG Mod 22 is better yet....in my opinion.

Thanks @Kiba for the great comments.
Regards,
Ross

Reactions: PBWalsh