Action for a .300 WM build

CavScout85

Online Training Member
Jan 22, 2018
WNC
Looks like I am going to venture into the long action area for the first time, and wondering what actions you guys would recommend for a .300 WM build? All my experience has been with SA, Mausingfield and Bighorn TL3. I'm sure those would be fine choices, but wondering if there are any others I might want to look at when moving up to long action and magnum cartridges? I will most likely drop it into a JAE stock.

Thanks!

Tim

Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
I vote TL3, I have one with a 28 Nosler barrel, will probably have to get a 300WM barrel at some point. Love the cartridge. But the action has been great, have no reservations at all about it, probably all I will buy going forward (until the TL4 or something comes out), but I'm definitely sticking with Bighorn.

Jun 24, 2011
San Jose, CA
I went Mausenfield for my 300 WM and it is fantastic. Handled the TL3 at SHOT and found it much easier to bind. ARC’s destructive testing on overcharged loads was a deciding factor if I want to move up to 300 NM with a bolt head swap.

BEJ762

Online Training Member
Feb 18, 2014
Bay Area, CA
I would have to agree with redneckbmxr24 regarding a AXMC. However, if you are not considering a AI, I would go with the Mausingfield. I value the control round feeding, extractor design and overall robustness of the action. It is why my personal 300WM is on a Mausingfield (short of my AI's).

SLG

Gunny Sergeant
Sep 2, 2009
I have a really nice APA build on a Defiance action and an aics chassis. Awesome.

Doing it all over today, either ax or mrad I think.

CavScout85

Online Training Member
Jan 22, 2018
WNC
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I would love to pick up an AXMC, but can't drop 9k on a rifle right now. Maybe if I find a good one in the exchange....

Definitely looking at the Surgeon options, EuroOptic has some pretty nice pricing on them in AX chassis. If I do the build myself, leaning towards a Surgeon or Mausingfield action.

Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I would love to pick up an AXMC, but can't drop 9k on a rifle right now. Maybe if I find a good one in the exchange....

Definitely looking at the Surgeon options, EuroOptic has some pretty nice pricing on them in AX chassis. If I do the build myself, leaning towards a Surgeon or Mausingfield action.
Love my Surgeon 1086 in AI AX chassis.

Top Bottom