Accuracy International Picture Thread

Apr 11, 2014
Finally joined the Mile High Club.
First date with my new sweetheart was awesome!
Here's one of my boys taking sloppy seconds.
View attachment 6884669
Hey! You did what I did (I think)!. Did you buy one of the MIL S&B Scopes and pull the "Medallion" off of it to reveal the grinder marks where they ground off the Military Code numbers? I haven't seen anyone else that has done this before now.

If so, except for the cans (I shoot TBAC) and bipods, we're shooting the same rifle right down to the Tenebraex covers (not sure of your level make, though). You, sir, have excellent taste!

Apr 11, 2014
How much of an added issue on rings that are .25” taller? Serious inquiry as I don’t know.
I can't give you an exact answer because it's dependent on how far away you're shooting, to be honest. The best I can do is refer you to this (and note the article linked within the article): http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/

For me personally, I struggled with the question just a few weeks ago. I have Nightforce's ultralight rings in 1.375" height, which is PERFECT for 56MM Objectives with caps (on continuous rails - I.e. AIAX, Barrett MRAD, and Desert Tech SRS). The Spuhr mounts are 1.47, 1.48, and Badger's SASR rings are 1.49 IIRC. I believe in capturing every advantage where I can (it's like the inverse of ounces equals pounds and pounds equal pain), so I hated the idea of bumping up .13", even though most of the time it wouldn't make a lick of difference (it's only when you "almost miss the target" that these marginal differences will matter, but then, they really matter). But, I ended up getting the Spuhr, but reconciled it to myself with the fact that I got an extra 10MOA "tilt", so now I have 30MOA adjustment.

I have thought long and hard about pulling off that front rail to capture that extra advantage, but I'm also thinking about NVDs right now, so I'm quite indecisive.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2014
As long as you have an adjustable cheek piece to get proper cheek weld, and you measure your height over bore (which you need to do regardless) and input it to your ballistic program then is makes absolutely no difference in any manner.

To run NV and thermal clip on properly you need a 1.5” center height on a flat rail.
This is ONLY True if you're shooting 100% vertically. As I said in my original post, 500 yards, it'll be hardER to tell, but the difference will still be there. I'll post this once more: http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/

Apr 11, 2014
Gotta love the internet..... “Which brings me to my next point children, don’t smoke crack!”
Once more: http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/

Everyone else that replied incorrectly at least didn't do so by getting personal. Not that I care about someone getting snarky on an internet forum, but I do (sincerely) hope people will have a better appreciation for the inevitable physical effects of increased height over bore.

OH58DViper

Vote for the purge.
Feb 16, 2017
Once more: http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/

Everyone else that replied incorrectly at least didn't do so by getting personal. Not that I care about someone getting snarky on an internet forum, but I do (sincerely) hope people will have a better appreciation for the inevitable physical effects of increased height over bore.
You’re talking about two different things scooter, if I mount a bubble level it negates the below quote which is what you’re basing your argument off of.

“cant-induced windage errors are worsened by mounting your scope high above the bore axis”

It could read “improper mounting technique and canting your rifle will cause errors at longer ranges. However, utilizing a quality level will correct for incompetence in setting up your rifle.”

Or as your article says

“One of the key factors in long-range accuracy is making sure that the tilt/cant of your rifle does not change throughout your shot string.”

Apr 11, 2014
You’re talking about two different things scooter, if I mount a bubble level it negates the below quote which is what you’re basing your argument off of.

“cant-induced windage errors are worsened by mounting your scope high above the bore axis”

It could read “improper mounting technique and canting your rifle will cause errors at longer ranges. However, utilizing a quality level will correct for incompetence in setting up your rifle.”

Or as your article says

“One of the key factors in long-range accuracy is making sure that the tilt/cant of your rifle does not change throughout your shot string.”
If you mount a bubble level and shoot it 100% level every time (bubble level error is also always present . . . another discussion) your rifle wouldn't be canted, so I'm not sure I understand your point.

My original quote that you took issue with is:

"There is another (very good) reason to go lower with your rings if you can. The lower your scope (closer to bore), the less the effect of any cant will have on impact. At 500 yards is this a big deal - eh. At 1250+ on man-sized silhouettes? It definitely is a big deal."

Again, if you're 100% level, you're not canted. But my statement says " . . . the effect of any cant." So............... ???????????????????????????????????

Ruggedtouch

Online Training Member
Jan 4, 2014

OH58DViper

Vote for the purge.
Feb 16, 2017
If you mount a bubble level and shoot it 100% level every time (bubble level error is also always present . . . another discussion) your rifle wouldn't be canted, so I'm not sure I understand your point.

My original quote that you took issue with is:

"There is another (very good) reason to go lower with your rings if you can. The lower your scope (closer to bore), the less the effect of any cant will have on impact. At 500 yards is this a big deal - eh. At 1250+ on man-sized silhouettes? It definitely is a big deal."

Again, if you're 100% level, you're not canted. But my statement says " . . . the effect of any cant." So............... ???????????????????????????????????
I’m always 100% level so I can’t mount it 8” up if my cheek weld works.

#GetBetter

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Feb 15, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So can I assume those are almost all NF mounts on the NF scopes?

Is the NF mil discount really good (scope & mount) or are they simply really popular in that area?

I've always associated AI rifles with S&B glass

Feb 15, 2017
Hey! You did what I did (I think)!. Did you buy one of the MIL S&B Scopes and pull the "Medallion" off of it to reveal the grinder marks where they ground off the Military Code numbers? I haven't seen anyone else that has done this before now.

If so, except for the cans (I shoot TBAC) and bipods, we're shooting the same rifle right down to the Tenebraex covers (not sure of your level make, though). You, sir, have excellent taste!

You’re exactly right. I appreciate the kind words. My father always said, “Great minds think alike.” There is a thread in the optics forum on the limited edition S&B’s. There was at least one other guy that removed his medallion and found that the markings had been defaced. Did you leave the grinder marks, or did you cover the bare aluminum with something? I’m actually just using the built in level on the Spuhr mount, at the moment. My Accuracy First level doesn’t play well with the S&B/Spuhr combo. Which level are you using? I think you mistook the small adapter in front of my scope mount for a level. It’s actually a mounting adapter for a brass catcher I borrowed from a teammate’s AR. I use this rifle as a duty weapon for work. We have an SUV that we carry team gear in and use as a mobile hide. I was trying out the brass catcher because it’s a pain finding all our brass that gets ejected into the mountain of gear in the back. Working pretty well, so far.

Apr 11, 2014
You’re exactly right. I appreciate the kind words. My father always said, “Great minds think alike.” There is a thread in the optics forum on the limited edition S&B’s. There was at least one other guy that removed his medallion and found that the markings had been defaced. Did you leave the grinder marks, or did you cover the bare aluminum with something? I’m actually just using the built in level on the Spuhr mount, at the moment. My Accuracy First level doesn’t play well with the S&B/Spuhr combo. Which level are you using? I think you mistook the small adapter in front of my scope mount for a level. It’s actually a mounting adapter for a brass catcher I borrowed from a teammate’s AR. I use this rifle as a duty weapon for work. We have an SUV that we carry team gear in and use as a mobile hide. I was trying out the brass catcher because it’s a pain finding all our brass that gets ejected into the mountain of gear in the back. Working pretty well, so far.
Ah. Yes, I mistook the mount for a level. I'm using a "Send-it" in addition to the Spuhr. I like to have two levels on each rifle, both to remind me to check and as a cross reference to ensure they're "right" (I have Accuracy Firsts and U.S. optics levels paired on my other rifles, and I really like both).

Were you trying the Caldwell brass catcher? I've used that one (infrequently) on some gas guns, and it's fine. It's not fancy (like B&T's is), but I guess it doesn't need to be.

On the S&B, I left the grinder marks exposed. It's an excellent conversation piece . . . or something. I'll probably end up throwing some FDE soft-side hook and loop on the top, an AI or Lapua Sticker, or maybe a good ole American Flag (the irony being, of course, that there's not a single American Component (other than the Send-it) on the entire rifle).

If yours is a tool of your trade, then first, thank you for your service. Secondly, I am envious of your ability to take this as a tax deduction :).

ChadL

Space for Rent
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Anyone own the AXMC in 300 norma? I'm thinking of buying one along with all the parts to run a short action caliber like 6.5 creed. I'm just an enthusiast that enjoys shooting. This rifle could literally be the last rifle I buy considering everything it can do catridge wise. It won't be the last one, but it could be :p. I've looked at other multi-caliber setups like the Kraken and it's quite convoluted compared to AI.

RoterJager

The Red Hunter
Oct 21, 2013
The Frozen Tundra
Anyone own the AXMC in 300 norma? I'm thinking of buying one along with all the parts to run a short action caliber like 6.5 creed. I'm just an enthusiast that enjoys shooting. This rifle could literally be the last rifle I buy considering everything it can do catridge wise. It won't be the last one, but it could be :p. I've looked at other multi-caliber setups like the Kraken and it's quite convoluted compared to AI.
Mine should be here in a few weeks. I'll let you know when it arrives. Probably going to go with a .300 Norma Mag this fall/winter.

deersniper

Online Training Member
Feb 22, 2007
N. Maryland
you don't seem too convinced ? Also on the over travel, i would not mess with the trigger. learn it for what it is. just my opinion,
Hope you're happy with your purchase, they are nice rifles
I have no reason to doubt it is lol.
I think I had heard frank say they have over travel and that's the way it is. Just checking
And yeah this thing is awesome. The whole package is confidence inspiring especially the action.
It was listed as metric threads but it is 5/8-24 so happy I don't have to deal with shipping. And paying for rethreading. Can't wait to shoot it when I get a rain day and some time off work.

Feb 14, 2017
thompson
I have no reason to doubt it is lol.
I think I had heard frank say they have over travel and that's the way it is. Just checking
And yeah this thing is awesome. The whole package is confidence inspiring especially the action.
It was listed as metric threads but it is 5/8-24 so happy I don't have to deal with shipping. And paying for rethreading. Can't wait to shoot it when I get a rain day and some time off work.
Glad to hear your happy, just wait until you put a couple hundred rounds down range.... Your other guns will just sit around

Apr 11, 2014
Just got one and a scope I had laying around on it. Is over travel an AI thing or can that be adjusted out? View attachment 6893136
Over travel is a reality... and one gets used to it....... until you go back and shoot a Sako TRG that has a "grown up" trigger. I adjusted the pull weight and the physical location of the shoe without any issues whatsoever. It improved, but will never get rid of the "Nerf-like" feeling. Go slowly and you should have no problem.

I will say that of the two AXes that I had shipped to me (Long story), the trigger on the second was substantially better than the first.

The upside is that over travel is more perceptible whilst dry-firing vs live (at least to me).

Congrats on the rifle....look forward to hearing the reports.

Feb 15, 2017
Were you trying the Caldwell brass catcher? I've used that one (infrequently) on some gas guns, and it's fine. It's not fancy (like B&T's is), but I guess it doesn't need to be.

On the S&B, I left the grinder marks exposed. It's an excellent conversation piece . . . or something. I'll probably end up throwing some FDE soft-side hook and loop on the top, an AI or Lapua Sticker, or maybe a good ole American Flag (the irony being, of course, that there's not a single American Component (other than the Send-it) on the entire rifle).

If yours is a tool of your trade, then first, thank you for your service. Secondly, I am envious of your ability to take this as a tax deduction :).
Yes, it was the Caldwell. I’m not sure if that’s the one I’ll end up buying, but it was the only one I had available to try out. It did seem to be adequate, considering my limited experience with it.

I’ve done the same with my S&B. I haven’t decided yet if I want to cover it at all.

Thank you. To serve has been my pleasure. I agree, the deductibility did take some of the sting out of the sticker shock. That which remained evaporated on range day.

Apr 11, 2014
Must be new, there were no DE mags (other than the one that ships with the rifle) available when I bought mine last year.
As of Feb 21, they weren't available. I guess it's progress if they're going to make them available. . . . hopefully they'll do so with the barrels, too (although, I sort of like the "check" of having a different color for each caliber . . . I've seen people stack oversized bullets into a chamber (A gentleman I know bisected a barrel that had 7 bullets in it . . . ), and I don't ever want to be that guy. Email from AINA to me below.

AINA INQUIRIES <aina@accuracyinternational.us>
Feb 21

to me

Hello,

I'm sorry, the magazine is not available in dark earth. You can find them in black at either distributor.

Thank You,
Accuracy International

Feb 19, 2017
I ordered rifle just like above last fall and specified I wanted matching mags. When I checked on it's status a few weeks ago, I was told my rifle will be entering production next month. I made it clear to vendor my magazines will be Dark Earth color. Paying as much as that rifle is costing me,the mags darn well will be matching in color. Period.

Basher

Sergeant
Dec 13, 2004
Mesa AZ, USA
I have to admit, the matching color thing gives me a chuckle. If you're actually running your rifle, then it's going to be scratched, banged up, and worn down, especially the mags! But I guess if you're dropping $7K on a rifle that'll sit in the safe except for when the boys come over to drool on it, you can fight to get what you want so everything's the exact same shade of brown...! :ROFLMAO:

(Don't tar and feather me, just having some good natured fun!)

Feb 19, 2017
I have to admit, the matching color thing gives me a chuckle. If you're actually running your rifle, then it's going to be scratched, banged up, and worn down, especially the mags! But I guess if you're dropping $7K on a rifle that'll sit in the safe except for when the boys come over to drool on it, you can fight to get what you want so everything's the exact same shade of brown...! :ROFLMAO:

(Don't tar and feather me, just having some good natured fun!)
Don't mind the comment. I shoot my rifles, frequently in fact. most often by myself at the range weekdays when it's quiet and in the bush plus a match or two once and awhile ( I like hunting more!). The only "boys" that touch/ admire my rifles are my sons when they come to visit and shoot up some of dad's ammo, leaving right before it's time to clean them or do some brass prep! The rifle is costing me more than my first two cars, the mags will out last me , so hell yeah I'd like them to match, I think that would please my boys down the road.:)

Basher

Sergeant
Dec 13, 2004
Mesa AZ, USA
Hahaha. The part about getting what you want for $7K+ was truth! I absolutely feel the same way, that it should be perfect for that amount! Everybody's idea of perfect is different, I guess. I consider a mag to be a consumable just like barrels. Eventually, they gotta be replaced. So for me, mag color doesn't even enter the picture. Sure, one in the "right" color for photos is cool, but it doesn't eat me up. More power to you if it's a concern on your end, I'm just having some fun is all. I'm 110% positive I have my own little "ticks" that others laugh at, haha.

And if my shooting frequency continues with the same level I'm at right now, my mags will look new forever! :ROFLMAO: But that's gonna change soon. Work/school has been life for awhile, so before we start having kids, I gotta hammer out a few cases and make my gear look like I know what I'm doing! :LOL:

Top Bottom