Accuracy International Picture Thread

Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
It looks so wrong but feels so right! haha

I am legitimately interested in how it shoots now, and how repeatable it is with barrel removal and re-installation. I believe there is special juju with the AI action being bonded to the chassis that is lost when bolting it in to a different chassis. The action is still the action, but you can't discount the effect the whole system has on consistency when it's bonded together.

And as much as I like the MPA chassis (I have one with a Mausingfield), I just can't shake the fact that the AT and AX systems are on a different level. The MPA chassis is great - I don't want to seem like a hater - but the tiny little set screws that lock down the wobble in the buttstock and cheekpiece, along with needing like 4 different Allen wrenches to adjust everything feel...cheap...when compared to the AI. The buttstock of the AX feels so solid and easy to adjust in comparison.

Basher

Sergeant
Dec 13, 2004
Mesa AZ, USA
Who else feel the pistol grip is rather large/wide?
I do. I saw someone mod an AX chassis to take an Ergo, and I'd do that in a heartbeat if it were possible with an AE/AT skin set, but I don't think it is.

For the most part, I don't wrap around the grip though. I ride the side of the chassis with my thumb, so not too big a deal.

tennturk

#hittinbiscuits
Feb 10, 2017
SNJ
I have 100 rounds through it so far with no problems at all and the first match with it will be next weekend. To complete the transformation I went with a new 6.5x47L Krieger heavy varmint barrel from Keystone Accuracy and it’s shooting great!! The whole setup feels completely different and I couldn’t be happier right now. I’ll try to take some videos during the match.

Covertnoob5

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 12, 2017
I have 100 rounds through it so far with no problems at all and the first match with it will be next weekend. To complete the transformation I went with a new 6.5x47L Krieger heavy varmint barrel from Keystone Accuracy and it’s shooting great!! The whole setup feels completely different and I couldn’t be happier right now. I’ll try to take some videos during the match.

My only fear is who would do the warranty work should something happen?

Papagallos

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 5, 2009
South Texas, United States

I'd say it runs SLICK!!!!!!!! Now, who has a cheap AT to sell? :D :D :D

Covertnoob5

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 12, 2017
What exactly is the process for getting the action out? Trying to plan out what I might need if I ever decide to do this.

goosed

Sergeant of the Hide
May 11, 2014
MN
Didn't Tom state even converting an AT butt stock to a post-14 butt voided warranty because it is "bonded"?

Not that you couldn't glue it back together... Just not as confident you could send it to AI in MPA chassis.

kRcu

Jun 5, 2013
Denver, CO
Even at that, I don’t see how swapping the stock on my AT could void the warranty if something in the bolt malfunctioned. It would likely void warranty on the chassis, sure, but the whole rifle shouldn’t be affected.

tennturk

#hittinbiscuits
Feb 10, 2017
SNJ
What exactly is the process for getting the action out? Trying to plan out what I might need if I ever decide to do this.
Strip the skins, put the barrel in a vise, heat the epoxy with a paint stipper heat gun and pry/wiggle the chassis up and down until it separates. Then I scrapped any remaining epoxy off with a razor blade.... done.

goosed

Sergeant of the Hide
May 11, 2014
MN
Even at that, I don’t see how swapping the stock on my AT could void the warranty if something in the bolt malfunctioned. It would likely void warranty on the chassis, sure, but the whole rifle shouldn’t be affected.
Personally I agree with your logic... Just saying it might be worth while to verify AI will see it the same way as I get the impression they don't always appreciate our resourcefulness.

samb300

Sergeant
Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
10 bucks says there’s no way AI honors warranty work on a de-bonded action in another chassis. How could you definitively prove to them that the heat applied during the debonding, or the fact that it’s in a non-AI chassis wasn’t the contributing factor to the (hypothetical) issue you were having?

Same as if you put an aftermarket turbo in your Civic, Honda won’t repair your head gasket under warranty if it goes.

IMO, if you de-bond it you assume the risk and have to deal with the fact that AI will fix anything that might go wrong - but the repair will come out of your pocket.

samb300

Sergeant
Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Good luck to all haha. If you’re willing to de-bond a $4500 gun and put it in a $1000 chassis, who the F cares about warranty work? Just be willing to accept, at least on a public forum, that they aren’t going to warranty your new MPAI. I’m not saying don’t do it, I think it’s cool to be honest, but if your main reservation is voiding the warranty then it’s probaby best to call AI direct or just not risk it.

Attachments

SLG

Sergeant of the Hide
Sep 2, 2009
Currently have an AE MKIII folder that I love. Probably going to sell it and go with an AT. Really leaning towards a fixed stock this time, mostly to save a little weight and improve the balance slightly. Also, I never really use the folding aspect of my MKIII. Anyone have any good reasons why I should stick with the folder instead of going fixed?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Feb 15, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I can fit my AT in a compact AR15 gun bag when folded with a 20" barrel & brake attached. Heavy as hell compared to a carbine though...

Beats the long "drag bag" style bags I use for my stocked rifles.

Currently have an AE MKIII folder that I love. Probably going to sell it and go with an AT. Really leaning towards a fixed stock this time, mostly to save a little weight and improve the balance slightly. Also, I never really use the folding aspect of my MKIII. Anyone have any good reasons why I should stick with the folder instead of going fixed?
Don't have to monkey with the cheek rest to remove the bolt; fits in smaller bags to carry; (probably) better resale value. I doubt you're going to notice the weight difference between the fixed and folding version. I have a folding AT and don't notice the weight.

SLG

Sergeant of the Hide
Sep 2, 2009
Don't have to monkey with the cheek rest to remove the bolt; fits in smaller bags to carry; (probably) better resale value. I doubt you're going to notice the weight difference between the fixed and folding version. I have a folding AT and don't notice the weight.
Those reasons are why I went with the folder originally, other than resale. I've handled a few 1.5's that some of the local teams use, and they just seem to balance better. I know it sounds like more than it is (and it may be incorrect), but I was told that the folder adds about 7 ounces to the gun. If that's true, almost a half pound in the rear is a lot. My other AICS setups over the years have all been 2.0's as well, or I would weigh them to compare. Anyone able to do this?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Feb 15, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Any AT owners do anything for a barricade stop? Ie. Pic rail + xyz

RRS arca plate adapter

Does anyone pad the bottom of the forearm area where it contacts a barricade, or just scratch up the bottom?

Last edited: