Accuracy International AT Rifle AX Butt Conversion Pale Brown

Badfinger

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2013
Dayton, OH Area
I'm running the same low rail as you with a 1.18 Spuhr mount and I'm thinking it will be a smidgen to short......did I mention I have a fat face :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JFComfort

Scotch_egg

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 2, 2010
England
I’m surprised people aren’t going with black AX butt stocks.

That would allow you to change the platic skins in the future for any other colour.

Luvman

Belligerents
Mar 17, 2003
Northern KY
@JFComfort It looks great!

@Badfinger im running the AI 6943 which is listed as a 40mm high mount. I’m not sure where that is measured from. My mount is about 1.25 from the top of the rail to the center of the scope. I have a fat face and I’m good with the cheek bottomed out.

Luvman

Belligerents
Mar 17, 2003
Northern KY
@JFComfort I would loctite those 2 screws on the cheek rest. After my first range trip I found that I was missing one and the other was loose. I picked up replacements at the hardware store and loctited them
In place.

JFComfort

Vegas Long Range OG
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
@JFComfort I would loctite those 2 screws on the cheek rest. After my first range trip I found that I was missing one and the other was loose. I picked up replacements at the hardware store and loctited them
In place.
I appreciate that. I’ll do that this evening when I get home.

C800D171-2E2E-41D0-B038-0A4A7BCF808D.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnson184

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 12, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
How tight is your Atlas bipod attached? Any wiggle? I recall my old AIAT having some issues with my bipod adapter years ago before I sold it. Kinda thinking about getting another AIAT again seeing as it can take the AXMC's buttstock now.

Luvman

Belligerents
Mar 17, 2003
Northern KY
How tight is your Atlas bipod attached? Any wiggle? I recall my old AIAT having some issues with my bipod adapter years ago before I sold it. Kinda thinking about getting another AIAT again seeing as it can take the AXMC's buttstock now.

I don’t have any issues with wiggle in my atlas bipod. The trick I have found is to back off the knob on the BT19 until the washer are completely free. Then tighten the knob down.

Luvman

Belligerents
Mar 17, 2003
Northern KY
I did end up raising the scope from 1.125” rings to a 1.34” Spuhr mount. Now with the adj. comb in it’s lowest position it’s easy to get a proper sight picture.

View attachment 7020688
Hummm. I’m not sure that’s really the right height mount. I think you should send it to me, with the scope of course, and I will send you the right height AI mount with a razor in it. :ROFLMAO:

samb300

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I've got a working prototype of my low cheek piece. Waiting on a metal bracket and a final 3D print to confirm everything is good. It will swap out directly with the factory cheek piece, no modifications needed, and still give you side-to-side adjustment. Unfortunately there's no good way to keep the spare 4mm Allen Key, and it's pretty much impossible to use the rear flush cup location when the cheek piece is in its lowest position (unless you have an AXAICS chassis, in which case the flush cup is in a different location).

Total reduction in height is 0.350", which puts it almost exactly level with the top of the firing pin body (if you're looking for a reference). This should let you keep your current rings/mount on your AT after putting on the AX buttstock. It's the equivalent of being able to go from a 1.5" to a 1.18" Spuhr mount.

This will also be nice for guys running custom actions, trainer rifles, or Vudoo 22s in an AXAICS chassis where you may also struggle with getting a good cheek weld without super high rings. Or guys like me that like to use thick cheek pads like the Wiebad velcro version, which adds about 1/4" of extra thickness and would make using it on the AT/AX swap almost impossible. I'm not sure anyone will need it, but a long action AXMC version is also possible, it would just have the nose shortened due to the additional stroke of the long-action bolt.

First two pics are of the factory cheek piece:
AX_Factory_01.JPGAX_Factory_02.JPG

Last three pics are of the low cheek piece prototype.
Low_Cheek_Piece_01.JPGLow_Cheek_Piece_02.JPGLow_Cheek_Piece_03.JPG

Slu54

Private
Belligerents
Apr 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Just my eye... or do both brown and green buttstocks run a different shade than the AT’s stock color?
Yes, the green is very noticeable.

I called MHS, after some investigation AI doesn't sell the LH AX folder as standalone (I don't know why, they obviously make it), so I'll put a righty folder on my lefty AT. I may flip it at the hinge, don't know yet.

choktog

Private
Belligerents
Jun 30, 2014
The green seems very noticeable that’s why I bought brown skins for my AT and threw on the brown buttstock. The brown is off a bit but it’s not super noticeable. I assume the black matches up but I have too many black guns as it is.

DOA

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2009
CA
Skateboard tape on the mating surface will eliminate the wiggle.